Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle cable shielding stripped

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 PM
Bruce Wayne
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default throttle cable shielding stripped

So I just bought this bike in May and at first everything seemed fine, then while out riding one day the bike (2012 FXDF 103") began to lose power. I limped home and found that the throttle cable had pulled through the bracket and pulled the vinyl shielding back like an accordion. I rigged up a temporary fix with zip ties that gave me half-throttle and ordered a new set of cables from my dealer. After installing new cables everything was awesome, until today. Entering an onramp with limited view I grabbed a fistful of throttle, as I went to upshift the bike bogged. At first I thought I had bounced of the rev limit, but when I rolled the throttle back on there was no response. I hit the hazards and pulled off to the side to investigate. Low and behold the new cable had done the same thing the old one had, though not as severe. The vinyl shielding had pulled up allowing the metal/ inner shield to pull through the bracket. I was able fix it by grabbing the throttle cable in front of the fuel tank and pull it forward while guiding the cable up through the bracket with my other hand. Is this a common thing, is something missing? I looked at the fiche on Ronnie's HD and it didn't look like I'm missing anything. Am I just being too heavy handed? would stainless braided cables help? Looking for answers. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

I have read something similar but not a super common issue like some others are...not sure what the problem is...maybe make sure they are installed correctly, lubed properly and adjusted...there should be a little free play..I set mine so that the throttle grip, moves about an 1/8” before pulling the cable...

Old 07-31-2019, 10:14 PM
Bass Player
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,943 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Typically when they do this it's a routing / binding issue...got a picture of what it does?

Old 07-31-2019, 10:56 PM
Bruce Wayne
Novice

Pretty sure I had it installed correctly, although maybe could have used a little bit more slack in it. If the bracket was a wee bit bigger I think I could salvage an old style cable adjuster and use that to keep it from pulling through. Maybe I could make something out of Delrin that could sit in the bracket and cup the cable housing. Hmmm.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 PM
Bruce Wayne
Novice

No picture, too dark in the garage to take one know. Imagine, I twist the throttle tube to the stops, the butterfly has fully opened before the throttle tube hits the stop, as I keep twisting the tube, pulling the cable through it's housing, the outer vinyl gets caught up on the bracket at the throttle body while the inner metal shield is pulled through the bracket, creating more slack in the cable, Thinking about it, I most likely did not have enough play in the cable to begin with as the butterfly would begin to open as soon as I twisted the throttle tube. It made it very responsive off idle, but in the long run it hurt me at WOT because the cable did not have as much travel as the throttle tube did.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:38 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Hard to comment intelligently without actually seeing your bike, but, I can't believe the housing should bear on the plastic coating. Could there be something missing , or the hole somehow got enlarged?

Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Bruce Wayne
Novice

That is what I thought, which is why I looked up the parts fiche. As far as the hole getting enlarged, the bracket show no sign of wear or damage, perfectly flat with a perfectly round hole, no scratches, no bends, no distortion of any kind. Anyone with a similar year Dyna should theoretically have the same set up.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:42 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,309 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Are you using the correct pull cable, with the spring on the end?

Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

A picture might help...

Old 08-02-2019, 11:02 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,738 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Does the bike's idle "return quickly?" Or, does it hang-up?
But, yes, there's something definately askew here.

Quick Reply: throttle cable shielding stripped