Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019 | 09:48 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer
Default 2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?

Good evening. Yesterday I purchased a new to me 2014 Street Bob with 21,000 miles on the clock. The bike is in overall excellent shape and previous owner was an old mechanic/gear head type of guy. The only issue I noticed with the bike was that during my test ride when I came to a stop the neutral was hard to find. I brushed it off as just needing a minor adjustment and over looked the fact as I was otherwise pleased with the bike. I brought the neutral thing up with the owner who was perplexed and assured me nothing was wrong with the bike. That evening on the ride home it became evident that there was indeed something amiss when I absolutely could not find neutral at stop lights, I had to resort to clutch in for the entire duration of the light.

Fast forward to today, I got off work and optimistically went in the garage to attempt and resolve this matter. A clutch adjustment, clutch cable adjustment, and general inspection later I am left still at square one and perplexed. I disconnected the foot control and attempted shifting the bike by hand, with same result. The inability to get into neutral occurs both while the bike is running and while off. The bike is currently equipped with after market foot boards, with the foot control connecting to the rear bracket, not standard oriented transmission bracket.

Old 07-30-2019 | 10:19 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Turbomunkey
Good evening. Yesterday I purchased a new to me 2014 Street Bob with 21,000 miles on the clock. The bike is in overall excellent shape and previous owner was an old mechanic/gear head type of guy. The only issue I noticed with the bike was that during my test ride when I came to a stop the neutral was hard to find. I brushed it off as just needing a minor adjustment and over looked the fact as I was otherwise pleased with the bike. I brought the neutral thing up with the owner who was perplexed and assured me nothing was wrong with the bike. That evening on the ride home it became evident that there was indeed something amiss when I absolutely could not find neutral at stop lights, I had to resort to clutch in for the entire duration of the light.

Fast forward to today, I got off work and optimistically went in the garage to attempt and resolve this matter. A clutch adjustment, clutch cable adjustment, and general inspection later I am left still at square one and perplexed. I disconnected the foot control and attempted shifting the bike by hand, with same result. The inability to get into neutral occurs both while the bike is running and while off. The bike is currently equipped with after market foot boards, with the foot control connecting to the rear bracket, not standard oriented transmission bracket.
On my bike it is easier to put it in neutral when the bike is moving.

The following users liked this post:
Vec (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019 | 10:25 PM
SixDD
Banned

What about rock and rolling the bike backwards a little bit as your trying to click it into neutral? Does this help?

Old 07-31-2019 | 04:13 AM
SmokeyHill
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

My '13 FXDB has a pretty subtle neutral position. It takes a sensitive touch to get it there. Usually I find it easier to drop into neutral from 2nd, especially after its warmed up. When I first bought it, I kept bouncing between 1st and 2nd until I got used to it.
I leave it in 1st at stop lights though. Just never know when you might have to get out of the way in a hurry, but that's just me.

The following 3 users liked this post by SmokeyHill:
BelchFire (08-01-2019), Sorce (08-10-2019), Vec (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 05:28 AM
SpyGoat
Grand HDF Member

Oddly enough, this is the absolute toughest thing to get my students to do during training (I'm an MSF instructor). Try rocking slightly backwards while attempting to shift into neutral when stopped.

That being said, my 2015 FXDB has no issue going into neutral.

I also tend to stay in 1st at stop lights, as mentioned, you never know when you will need to get out of the way in a hurry.

The following 2 users liked this post by SpyGoat:
BelchFire (08-01-2019), Vec (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 07:22 AM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
On my bike it is easier to put it in neutral when the bike is moving.
I cannot get the bike into neutral while rolling either.

Originally Posted by SixDD
What about rock and rolling the bike backwards a little bit as your trying to click it into neutral? Does this help?
I will try this. I know on other bikes if you could not get neutral backing it up a few inches fixed it.

Originally Posted by SmokeyHill
My '13 FXDB has a pretty subtle neutral position. It takes a sensitive touch to get it there. Usually I find it easier to drop into neutral from 2nd, especially after its warmed up. When I first bought it, I kept bouncing between 1st and 2nd until I got used to it.
I leave it in 1st at stop lights though. Just never know when you might have to get out of the way in a hurry, but that's just me.
Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by SpyGoat
Oddly enough, this is the absolute toughest thing to get my students to do during training (I'm an MSF instructor). Try rocking slightly backwards while attempting to shift into neutral when stopped.

That being said, my 2015 FXDB has no issue going into neutral.

I also tend to stay in 1st at stop lights, as mentioned, you never know when you will need to get out of the way in a hurry.
For the record, I have been riding a decade or so and have owned 7-8 bikes at this point. I have never had an issue with this matter until this street bob. I am almost certain it is a mechanical issue and not user error. I have read around and some people are saying this bike is ultra fickle and something as simple as the primary fluid can affect this matter. The previous owner had just recently serviced the bike, and I do not know what type of fluids he used. Maybe go pick up some fully synthetic gear oil for the primary and try that?

Old 07-31-2019 | 07:58 AM
bigal51
Road Captain

I have owned, I think, around 13 HD's of all flavors. Never have I had a problem with finding neutral. BUT I do know how to adjust a clutch. NOT sayin that is your problem, but I would check that first rather than blame the bike.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (08-10-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 07:58 AM
SpyGoat
Grand HDF Member

I use full synth on my bike. Maybe it will help. Can't hurt to try! Good luck with it!

Old 07-31-2019 | 08:23 AM
streetjoebob
Advanced

i have a 2014 fxdb, and here is your solution that will 100% work.

when attempting to place your bike into neutral, you HAVE to blip the throttle while shifting the peg into neutral. that is how it is done.

two examples:

from 1st gear, while blipping throttle, simultaneously apply the shift peg upwards into neutral.

from 2nd gear, while blipping throttle, simultaneously and gently tap on the shift peg downwards into neutral.

**blipping means minor throttle roll, like 300-500 rpm throttle**

The following 2 users liked this post by streetjoebob:
Pokey151 (08-27-2019), user 7172984932 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 09:14 AM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigal51
I have owned, I think, around 13 HD's of all flavors. Never have I had a problem with finding neutral. BUT I do know how to adjust a clutch. NOT sayin that is your problem, but I would check that first rather than blame the bike.
Sir please consult my other post, clutch was adjusted last night. Granted it may not have done it 100% correctly. I am not trying to blame anything, just want to ride my friend. Thank you.

Originally Posted by SpyGoat
I use full synth on my bike. Maybe it will help. Can't hurt to try! Good luck with it!
I will try this. Thank you.

Originally Posted by streetjoebob
i have a 2014 fxdb, and here is your solution that will 100% work.

when attempting to place your bike into neutral, you HAVE to blip the throttle while shifting the peg into neutral. that is how it is done.

two examples:

from 1st gear, while blipping throttle, simultaneously apply the shift peg upwards into neutral.

from 2nd gear, while blipping throttle, simultaneously and gently tap on the shift peg downwards into neutral.

**blipping means minor throttle roll, like 300-500 rpm throttle**
I will try this tonight. Did you experience similar issues?

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?