Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019 | 09:47 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Community Team
Old 08-09-2019 | 11:36 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by John CC
There was another thread on exactly this problem a week or so ago.
Appreciate it man. So if I am understanding correctly, tomorrow I should put the cover off on the opposite side of the engine where the clutch cable is and inspect inside there, correct?

Old 08-10-2019 | 05:26 AM
Sorce
Tourer

Originally Posted by Turbomunkey
Appreciate it man. So if I am understanding correctly, tomorrow I should put the cover off on the opposite side of the engine where the clutch cable is and inspect inside there, correct?
Don't just inspect, adjust your clutch in there behind the spring.
That was your only problem all along.

People think Oil makes a difference because when you switch the oil that screw moves hairs and/or just needs to be readjusted. Oil has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sorce

Old 08-10-2019 | 12:36 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

I ran to the DMV and transferred the title to my name, then headed home and began messing with bike. Primary assembly is completely off. Pull the exahust off, P/O broke off one of the manifold bolts. Otherwise, removed clutch cable cover, metal shavings and a star washer looking piece was just sitting in there. A few roller bearings in bottom of clutch cable cover. I am currently trying to figure out how to remove the transmission and confirm no damage in there. Yay.....

Originally Posted by Sorce
Don't just inspect, adjust your clutch in there behind the spring.
That was your only problem all along.

People think Oil makes a difference because when you switch the oil that screw moves hairs and/or just needs to be readjusted. Oil has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sorce

Old 08-15-2019 | 04:13 PM
steves86ta
Tourer

My Fat Bob has been a nightmare to get neutral since day one. (ive owned it since new)

I've found that adjusting the clutch definitely helps but it was often still difficult.

Full Disclosure i am running a Barnett Clutch Diaphragm spring and a ez-pull for the lighter lever pull

About a year ago i was commuting 40+ miles each way in northern California traffic every day on the bike, the Neutral thing started to drive me crazy. Especially with my carpal tunnel condition....

I finally tried out Type F ford ATF fluid in the primary and it was a 95% improvement. It still is tough to find neutral when its good and hot but it is way way way better. (maybe once or twice during a really long/hot and hard ride)

I keep the clutch adjusted, and i run the Type F ATF fluid in the primary and it seems to work really well for me.

Last edited by steves86ta; 08-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johnnynitro (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019 | 04:53 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Turbomunkey
A few roller bearings in bottom of clutch cable cover.
Like needle bearings? Sounds like bits of your throw-out bearing.
I am currently trying to figure out how to remove the transmission and confirm no damage in there. Yay.....
If you're worried about contamination, the good news is they're completely isolated.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (08-15-2019)
Old 08-17-2019 | 11:45 AM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by John CC
Like needle bearings? Sounds like bits of your throw-out bearing.

correct sir

If you're worried about contamination, the good news is they're completely isolated.
That does not appear to be the case. The cover that seals the trans / houses the two trans bearing has two oval holes, one at the top and at the bottom, which would allow fluid from the clutch cable cover to drain back into the trans case. This is reaffirmed by the fact that another gentlemen’s thread on here made mention of the same issues, and the dealer wanted to charge him 6 hours to inspect the trans for damage.

Respectfully, Jon

Old 08-17-2019 | 05:20 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Community Team

???
I had different oils in my trans and primary (color wise). When I drained them there was zero evidence of mixing.

YMMV...

Old 08-18-2019 | 08:29 PM
Earthbound
Advanced

I have a 2013 and find it difficult sometimes as well. I have read on some forums that it’s not that uncommon. Some days no problem, other days finicky. Looking forward to hearing if you sort this out. Good luck

Old 08-19-2019 | 10:45 AM
steves86ta
Tourer

Originally Posted by Earthbound
I have a 2013 and find it difficult sometimes as well. I have read on some forums that it’s not that uncommon. Some days no problem, other days finicky. Looking forward to hearing if you sort this out. Good luck
have you tried changing your primary oil over to Type F ATF?

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?