Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019 | 01:50 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by fskitch
Does the bike have forward controls? If so it’s possible that the previous owner didn’t change the transmission shifter lever. The stock lever is shorter making neutral very hard to find with forwards.
I switched mine to forwards, and didn't think about changing the transmission lever, and I also have trouble shifting into neutral. I traded someone my mids for his forwards, but don't think it came with a transmission lever. How can I get the longer one?

Old 07-31-2019 | 02:38 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
I switched mine to forwards, and didn't think about changing the transmission lever, and I also have trouble shifting into neutral. I traded someone my mids for his forwards, but don't think it came with a transmission lever. How can I get the longer one?

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 03:17 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Skitch I will check this when I get home. I do know there are two of those levers. One is in line with the original foot lever shaft. That arm is being held in place with an aftermarket little bracket that is holding it to the block. My forward control rod is mounted to a second lever which is further back like the one pictured. Whether it’s the correct “tall” variant I will check tonight

Last edited by Turbomunkey; 07-31-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2019 | 06:18 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Does the bike have forward controls? If so it’s possible that the previous owner didn’t change the transmission shifter lever. The stock lever is shorter making neutral very hard to find with forwards.
Please consult pictures. That looks to be the stock shifter lever?

Old 07-31-2019 | 06:49 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Cool Check this out

if you are sure that it's not an adjustment issue .......and unsure of the type of oil being used...(we don't think oil is the problem) ...but we do know that the way different people ride ,some are ez...where some are a lot more aggressive causing more heat in the clutch which will cause it to grab quicker ....
you will need to try different adjustments for that reason ...
installing one of these will also help with finding neutral very ez once the rest is all correct ...good luck
The S&S Variable Pressure Clutch Plate is the most cost effective kit for upgrading your H-D® stock clutch without any modifications.
https://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-2...re-clutch.html read description ...

Old 07-31-2019 | 06:54 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by Turbomunkey
Please consult pictures. That looks to be the stock shifter lever?

That is the stock lever and that is your problem guaranteed.

ABQ-Jammer (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 07:09 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

That is some good/bad news to hear. I will check out the link you posted above. How difficult is changing this part?

That is the stock lever and that is your problem guaranteed.

Old 07-31-2019 | 07:30 PM
fskitch
Road Master

According to Harley you have to take the primary off. Not so, I’ve done 2 Dynas and no need to pull the primary. Reach in there with a hex key and back the set screw all the way out. Get a flat blade in there and work the old unit off taking note of the angle of the old lever. Slide the new lever on to the splined shaft. Tighten it up, button it up and that’s it. You mentioned you had mechanical skills so I bet you knock it out in less than an hour.

The following 2 users liked this post by fskitch:
ABQ-Jammer (08-01-2019), BelchFire (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 08:07 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

I really appreciate you sticking around my thread. I will get that part ordered. Actually I intend to replace foot boards with regular forwards. What’s your preference, seeing as you have some experience with Dynas?

According to Harley you have to take the primary off. Not so, I’ve done 2 Dynas and no need to pull the primary. Reach in there with a hex key and back the set screw all the way out. Get a flat blade in there and work the old unit off taking note of the angle of the old lever. Slide the new lever on to the splined shaft. Tighten it up, button it up and that’s it. You mentioned you had mechanical skills so I bet you knock it out in less than an hour.

Old 07-31-2019 | 08:50 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master

First Harley? Reason I ask is that every one I have owned has been a bit troublesome finding neutral...my Switchback is easy my Superglide not so much...one thing not mentioned but something you need to look at is the primary chain tensioner...the stock one over tightens the chain making neutral all most impossible to find, not to mention the stress on the bearings...
do yourself a favour and replace with a good aftermarket one...baker or Hayden...I run Hayden’s on both my dyna’s

ABQ-Jammer (08-01-2019)

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?