Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019 | 09:24 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SpyGoat
I use full synth on my bike. Maybe it will help. Can't hurt to try! Good luck with it!
This ^. I have tried all different types of oils in my bike(currently using Redline), and they all had different characteristics when trying to find Neutral.

Old 07-31-2019 | 10:04 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

If a clutch pull adjustment mechanism was put in to make it easier to pull then it can make it harder to get in to neutral. I have one and had to get the clutch adjustment so that there was almost no play in the cable at the lever to be able to get neutral while the bike was running. I didn't have issues with the engine off though so that may not be your issue. Do you feel any clutch drag like the clutch is still somewhat engaged when you pull the lever all the way in?

Old 07-31-2019 | 10:15 AM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
If a clutch pull adjustment mechanism was put in to make it easier to pull then it can make it harder to get in to neutral. I have one and had to get the clutch adjustment so that there was almost no play in the cable at the lever to be able to get neutral while the bike was running. I didn't have issues with the engine off though so that may not be your issue. Do you feel any clutch drag like the clutch is still somewhat engaged when you pull the lever all the way in?
That is an interesting question, you know when I shift I don’t pull the clutch all the way in. I actually watched a video that stated some grips are too fat and inhibit the clutch pull. I don’t think the bike has any mechanism installed though, it’s got a hard pull. The bike doesn’t like neutral running or shut off, moving or stationary.

Old 07-31-2019 | 10:25 AM
fskitch
Road Master

Does the bike have forward controls? If so it’s possible that the previous owner didn’t change the transmission shifter lever. The stock lever is shorter making neutral very hard to find with forwards.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 11:36 AM
Damagelnc
Cruiser

Have you tried to find it while aggressively shifting in front of lots of people? Mine finds neutral the easiest in that circumstance.

The following 5 users liked this post by Damagelnc:
MMH (08-01-2019), SpyGoat (08-01-2019), TiRider (08-01-2019), toddskill (08-07-2019), Wormjello (08-11-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 12:01 PM
streetjoebob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbomunkey
Sir please consult my other post, clutch was adjusted last night. Granted it may not have done it 100% correctly. I am not trying to blame anything, just want to ride my friend. Thank you.

I will try this. Thank you.

I will try this tonight. Did you experience similar issues?
yes i experienced the same issue.

Old 07-31-2019 | 12:16 PM
Turbomunkey
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by fskitch
Does the bike have forward controls? If so it’s possible that the previous owner didn’t change the transmission shifter lever. The stock lever is shorter making neutral very hard to find with forwards.
It has more forward controls oriented around foot boards. Can you link an example of the “shift lever” please?

Originally Posted by Damagelnc
Have you tried to find it while aggressively shifting in front of lots of people? Mine finds neutral the easiest in that circumstance.
I’m not sure if this is a joke? Please bear in mind I’ve owned 7-8 bikes, 4 of them Harley’s, my brother owns a 2009 version of the Street Bob, I’ve been riding 10 years, and I’ve been a mechanic 10 years. I’ve done all of the work on my bikes, cars, and current 7.3 powerstroke F250. I am not some idiot.....

Old 07-31-2019 | 12:42 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Last edited by fskitch; 07-31-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2019 | 12:46 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Damagelnc
I've certainly experienced this phenomenon on more than one occasion... In fact, just to make sure I find it, it creates an easy-to-find temporary neutral between every two gears...

But seriously, I haven't seen anyone mention checking shift pawl adjustment. That could be the issue, if everything else is correct. I suspect mine actually needs some adjusting too.

Last edited by F86; 07-31-2019 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 01:25 PM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Shifter pawl,but b4 u open that can of worms try just a little Rev of the motor as you upshift 2 nuetral....this has always worked fer me on stubborn bikes.

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Bob nearly impossible to find neutral?