Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Primary oil leak

Have a spot under the front of the primary, between the mid mount peg and shifter. Eliminated that is was a tranny leak by using dye. It is definitely primary oil. Hoping it was the simplest leak I put on a new outer to inner primary gasket and derbi gasket and inspection gasket while I was at it. NOT it. So because of that location I'm thinking the big o-ring between the inner primary and engine. Damit. Any suggestions on permanent cures while I go in to fix it? I see James makes a gasket/0-ring dealy to replace the o-ring.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:14 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

I believe your '03 with mids would have a similar primary design to my 2000. If so, it's very likely one (or both) of the "tower gaskets" causing the leak. It's super easy to miss these when removing/replacing the outer primary, By coincidence, I just had mine off two days ago to check and adjust primary chain tension (I find it easier than doing it through the inspection cover). I lost one of these little seals taking the cover off, and couldn't find it anywhere (must've fallen into the oil pan). I made a functional replacement by cutting off a round section with a hole in the middle off a used rocker cover gasket I found on a shelf.

My trick to keep them in place while installing the cover is to dab a bit of antisieze on the boss first... It holds the gasket just fine during assembly.

These are the locations of the gaskets I'm talking about:

Since they sit above the static oil level, you won't lose a ton of fluid here... But as oil splash permeates the whole primary, some will drip out.

The following users liked this post:
beanoboy (07-27-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks F86, as a matter of fact when I replaced the big gasket I noticed that there were no gaskets on the towers, and I did get new ones at HD, surprised they had them. I was hoping that or the big gasket was the source of the leak but wasn't. I think it is the o-ring. Nice bike F86, Bassani exhaust? What have you done to the motor? I went 95in. Mondello Heads, Wood TW8G cams, 10.5-1 comp. DarkHorse Crank. DynaTek ignition. It hauls. So anyway since I'm pretty sure it's the o-ring I put in some BlueDevil oil stop leak, never heard of anyone doing that on a Harley but thought what the hell. Seemed to help, then drained it and put in 80w-90w gear oil, what I run in the tranny. Hasn't leaked yet and the shifting wasn't affected. I'll see I guess.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:34 AM
heavyd1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm not sure where your shaft comes out, but my 07 low rider did that, it was the shift shaft seal, about 5 bucks. Drove me crazy trying to find it. Wish you luck.