Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:29 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fairing Question

I am looking to make some changes to my 06 FXDI. I currently have Harley Davidson bags, stock seat and drag bar setup from a Night Train. I've spent a lot of money on the bike but unfortunately I wasn't thinking of comfort or the overall end picture. I find that it's just not very comfortable to ride for over an hour or so. I know I want taller bars and I really like the Roland Sands Black Ops bars. I just need to decide on 12"-14". I'm also not opposed to a T bar setup. I definitely need to change to something other than the stock seat. I'm thinking of the Sundowner Solo seat. I like the look of the solo seat but I'm torn between it and the two up version for strapping a bag on the fender to the sissy bar.

I have a quick release HD windshield but I kind of want to go with a fairing. I like the small front fairing many are installing on their Dyna's but how does that compare to a windshield as far as wind and riding comfort? I don't know anyone around me that has one I could try. I really don't enjoy riding without a windshield and I'm just not sure if I would like the 1/4 fairing or not. If I'm going to make changes I want it to be money well spent and something I'll be happy with in the end.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

lots to think about

I need bars with some bends in them so my elbows come in closer to my body, if I have straight bars I get a really bad muscle cramp between my shoulder blades. So I have flat track bars on 6" pullback risers and they are comfortable for me, I twist the bars down to get my hands and elbows in the right place like I was sayin. I don't know about the specific bars you are asking about but 14 is pretty tall in my opinion 10-12"mini apes are pretty good for most people. The problem with t bars is that there is no adjustment, you cant twist them up/down to makes them more comfortable for you (although they do look sweet) I like risers and bars versus one piece t bars.

I have had a few fairings over the last 20 yrs. The ness, the hd 1/4 fairing, the hd 1/4 fairing with laminar lip and the t-sport fairing. The t-sport fairing is by far the best wind protection. There are many replicas out there for all types of budgets. Mine is a JD customs and it is awesome but pretty expensive.

most any seat is better than stock. I have a saddle men and it is sweet.
too bad you don't live closer, I have a dyna seat collection you could try out.

the 06 is sweet yr in my opinion. 88" six speed,
my 06 was 88" with Andrews 37 cams and 30t pulley and bub 2-1 and it would destroy my stock stage one 2014 103" all day long

Old 07-21-2019, 03:53 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

I have a Dart flyscreen, it keeps the wind off my chest and puts it arour chin level. If it was an half an inch or inch higher it would be over the head.
https://www.dartflyscreens.com/

Old 07-22-2019, 08:37 AM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Seat and suspension will def help for all day riding. I went to Saddlemen Step Up and put on the FXDLS Emulsion Shocks (I know there is still MUCH better out there) but compared to stock its not and day difference.

For fairings, I currently have the cafe fairing and love it, but need something taller for aesthetics, not protection, so I ordered the Road Warrior fairing.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:18 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

I have the Sundowner seat (2-up), and it's comfy for me, and for my wife. I have 10-12" baby apes, but am NOT fond of them. They put my hands an inch or two below my shoulders, but now I'm having rotator cuff and tennis elbow issues. Previous bars were almost straight drag bars, and I'll likely be switching back to them, hopefully soon. As for windshield, I have an MS Shooter, handlebar mounted, which is about 15" tall, up from the top of headlight, and it keeps the wind off my chest, but pushes it up into my face. With my inner dual visor helmet, I don't notice it, but sometimes feel like a bobblehead from side sheer winds. I prefer having a larger windshield, and I looked at batwing fairings, but they look like they're propped up too high on the handlebars for me, and the little quarter fairings don't look like they block much wind at all. The FXR fairings, which look like an older Road Glide, or similar to the MS Road Warrior fairing, but a bit bigger, would probably be best, and I think they look good on the Dyna, but they're not cheap. I found some on eBay, though for about $90, which isn't too bad, so still considering that. Once I drop my hands down with a drag bar, I think that might help with the wind, as well. Just letting you know what has and hasn't worked for me, but It's still up to you, though, and what YOU like and want.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:12 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've realized over the years you can spend a whole lot of money and not be satisfied with the end result without some proper planning and consideration. That's hard to do when you can't really try things first. I really like the look of the small quarter fairings but I'm assuming they are more for looks and not so much for wind protection. Maybe I'll just stick with the windshield. I do believe I would be happier with bars that I could tilt back so I can control how much I have to lean forward so I think that does pretty much rule out the T bars. My Night Train drag bars have 6" rise. I've noticed my arms ache after riding for an hour or so. I thought maybe raising them up a bit might help. There are a lot of good reviews on the Sundowner seat so I think I am going to give it a try. I just need to make up my mind if I want the solo or the two up seat. I don't really ever have a passenger but the padding on the fender would be good to throw a bag on. I just like the look of the solo seat better.