Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Joeavp
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Please HELP

I recently bought a 2006 FXDWGI - Dyna Wide Glide. Awesome bike - however I am running into problems with her. The previous owner rode her like 200 miles in 2 years as his priorities changed with work and family. Because the bike sat for so long, I got a fuel leak from the tank. I changed the fuel check valve, and the fuel line from it. Once I got everything buttoned up, and gassed her up, I was chomping on the bite to ride her. (While I was waiting for parts, I did a complete tune up on her - new spark plugs, oil filter, and changed all the fluids.)

Well, my problem is that she won't start. I'm 99% sure I hooked up the fuel pump connections to the top plate. When I disconnected the fuel line from the quick disconnect, there was fuel in the line. She'll turn over, but not catch. She is acting like she isn't getting any fuel, but there is fuel going to the fuel line. I also threw her on the battery charger, thinking maybe she was low on charge. Once charged, she'll turn over and over, but no catching.

Any advice on how to trouble shoot this?

Old 07-02-2019, 02:47 AM
1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Road Captain
Received 381 Likes on 196 Posts

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you first turn the key?
Quick disconnect seated properly?
Check valve upside down?
Everything ok inside the tank?

Old 07-02-2019, 03:05 AM
vonh12
Road Warrior
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

First you need a service manual. That will help you trouble shoot your bike. A quick check would be to spray starter fluid in the air filter and crank if it fires up you got a fuel problem (not the best for your bike though). Check for spark at the plugs. Check compression. The fuel system you can prolly you tube there a few things that can be wrong there. When you turn the bike to on does the fuel system fire up?? you should hear it.

The following users liked this post:
rjsimmons (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:13 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vonh12
First you need a service manual. That will help you trouble shoot your bike. A quick check would be to spray starter fluid in the air filter and crank if it fires up you got a fuel problem (not the best for your bike though). Check for spark at the plugs. Check compression. The fuel system you can prolly you tube there a few things that can be wrong there. When you turn the bike to on does the fuel system fire up?? you should hear it.
^This.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 AM
dysfunction1
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

think backwards and reverse everything you did in your head. if you can make only one change at a time unless you know exactly what your doing. Not doubting you but u seem to have limited mechanic experience. Get the shop manual.

There is the very real possibility the pump is dead out of the box. You could have popped a fuse. Im assuming the battery was connected. no fuel or bad fuel, remove the check from the system to see if it fires. debris in the tank clogging the pickup.

tons of variables but yours problem seems like a basic one that didnt manifest itself until you tore into the bike.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:41 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Did you cross your spark plug wires?

Old 07-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Joeavp
4th Gear
Default Nope

I had the tune up done before I got the parts to change the Fuel check valve with line, and the new fuel line. I know to only change one spark plug at a time to avoid crossing the lines. The bike has spark and compression.

1Qcktrufflesnuffler - I think that you are right that it does not sound like it is priming. I've been thinking about this problem all day long - the only thing I could think of is that maybe I didn't connect the fuel pump wiring harness back up to the underside of the top plate as I was putting on the new gasket. That would cause it not to prime.

Last edited by Joeavp; 07-02-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Joeavp
4th Gear

Dysfunctional1 ~ I DIDN'T change the fuel pump. I only changed the fuel check valve (which was in a kit) and the fuel line from the quick disconnect to the fuel injectors. In order to install the check valve line, I had to completely drain the fuel tank via the crossover line (which had fresh fuel in it). There was no debris in the tank. I filled up the tank with fresh 91 octane fuel I had just purchased from the gas station a block away.

I did only make one change at at time and finished that through completion. The last thing I did was mess with the fuel check valve.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:38 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

If it worked before...and now it doesn’t...something you did is causing it...open it back up and recheck everything...there is a little green washer that needs to be on that line, and you have to buy it separately...was it there? This washer seals the line to the pump....I know I just pulled my pump to have my tank painted....and had to replace a leaking quick disconnect on my other dyna so I know it’s suppose to be there, on one of the bikes, I found it lying in the tank as it falls off as soon as you disconnect the line from the pump. Change the filter while your in there...the fuel sock should be ok...

Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Joeavp
4th Gear

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
If it worked before...and now it doesn’t...something you did is causing it...open it back up and recheck everything...there is a little green washer that needs to be on that line, and you have to buy it separately...was it there? This washer seals the line to the pump....I know I just pulled my pump to have my tank painted....and had to replace a leaking quick disconnect on my other dyna so I know it’s suppose to be there, on one of the bikes, I found it lying in the tank as it falls off as soon as you disconnect the line from the pump. Change the filter while your in there...the fuel sock should be ok...
Thanks for your informative reply and help! When I took off the old check valve line, there was a green washer inside the fuel assembly - where the tube was inserted. I purchased the replacement through JPCycles.com https://www.jpcycles.com/product/100...-oem-62194-04b. It didn't have the green washer - but had a black one. Do I specifically need a "green" washer? This was also the efi fuel line I installed. https://www.jpcycles.com/product/721-852/efi-fuel-line When I was inside the tank, I was careful not to mess with anything except the check valve and the line.

When I turn it to the ignition, I can hear the fuel pump prime. It will turn over and catch for about a second or two, and than sputter. So I know for sure it is a fuel issue somewhere.

So here are a few questions.... Can I narrow the problem down to either the efi fuel line or the check valve? Can I undo the efi fuel line from the fuel rail and keep the check valve quick disconnect connected and than turn on the ignition switch? If I have pressure/ flow, than I know it would be a fuel line problem?? Would this narrow it down? It would take 5 minutes to figure if the problem is inside or outside of the tank.

Last edited by Joeavp; 07-02-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Please HELP