Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing dash on low rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007 | 02:20 PM
Azrael
|
Cruiser
Default replacing dash on low rider

Has anyone here replaced the dash on a low rider (06') to allow for wide glide style ignition switch where the tach would normally be.

It is really annoying messing with that damn key all the time and I never use/look at the tach.

I like the FXDWG/FSDC style dash but from looking at the service manual the tanks appear to be different and I don't know if the that dash will fix the FXDLi tank. The dash looks to attach the same (two bolts just below the speedo) but I am worried it will not fit the profile/cover the top area on the low rider tank.

Any insight is appreciated,

Old 07-11-2007 | 03:15 PM
Sal C
Cruiser
Default RE: replacing dash on low rider

I'm interested in doing the same thing you want to do. I bought the low rider because that was the only model with a tach. (I like them). Anyways, I mounted an aftermarket small tach on the handlebars, now what do I do with the non-functioning tach on the console?
If we can fit the WG fixture on it, that would be cool. Wiring shouldn't be too bad.. I've got a 81 FXWG and I like that set-up. Let's see what people come up with

Old 07-12-2007 | 09:46 AM
Azrael
|
Cruiser

Sal,

Glad I am not the only one. I know alow of the street bob guys are cutting holes in thier dash to locate a key switch there but I don't it would look right to just fill the tach hole and put a key in there.

All,

Can someone with a FXDC/FXDWG measure the overall length of the dash along the tank line and the center to center distance between the two bolts. If nothing else I can tell if the dash will cover the top plate and if the bolt spacing is the same. I might just order a cheap aftermarket FXDWG dash and check fit if I can confirm there is a possiblity it will work.

Old 07-12-2007 | 11:01 AM
Sal C
Cruiser

Chris, I went to my local stealership yest. and was looking at our LR next to a WG...The speedometer on the WG is a larger diameter,,so our present speedo won't fit in it. The main reason I want something different isn't because of the key issue, but rather to get rid of the tach. Looks like a street bob black console would work for me...no hole for the tach, bolts line up. My chrome console is pretty bright on my eyes when the sun shines on it. I may have to order one.
The Street bob only has 1 hole for the speedo, I could see cutting a hole in the console for the key, you're not filling up a tach hole on the street bob; our LR console would call for filling up the hole....Yuk...

Old 07-12-2007 | 11:10 AM
Azrael
|
Cruiser

Did you find out if the bob dash was avaialble in chrome?