Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading motor mounts - which products work well together

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:10 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
Predator front, oem rear, and heim joint on top but I put some lock tight on the top because it was extending on it's own every thousand miles or so.
I use jam nuts on mine, so it can't turn on it's own.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:58 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,760 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Landmark Mfg makes a polished SS engine top mount. They do not rust/corrode.

The following 2 users liked this post by NORTY FLATZ:
crusader1xxx (06-27-2019), gleam (06-27-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Tightening tapered pipe threads is usually specified in turns past finger tight. That's what we adhered to at my last job...among many other things we manufactured fittings in every shape, size, and material imaginable. That said, "finger tight" was always a hot button phrase in the R&D lab. Not at all controllable, but industry convention.

Regardless, here are a couple tightening charts for ya: https://www.engineersedge.com/hardwa...tion_13424.htm

If you're concerned about over-tightening, don't hesitate to add some sealant (NOT plumbing pipe dope). We used all kinds of different thread sealents. Loctite makes a specific thread sealant but it's probably not good financial practice to buy it for one plug. Henkel or Permatex (probably both) male anaerobic sealants that are damn near identical and are available in very small tubes at the parts store. They're used for sealing case/block halves and such. Even RTV would be ok as long as it's rated for oil contact.
The top link (Chevy Alternator adjuster) many of us got from EBay so shipping to Canada shouldn't be much of a problem. I made my own jack screw and used Midwest Control for the ends.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-28-2019 at 08:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gleam (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:12 PM
gleam
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Lots of replies, thanks for all the input. Seems like a lot of people are using the Predator front with OEM rear and are liking it. I'm considering whether the BBP rear is necessary for this stage of the game for me. I tried to plan this project properly by doing the tank and the motor mounts at the same time but I'm stuck waiting for parts again because I didn't get it quite right. At this rate since I now need tires too, I'll probably get the Predator before I'm done with the other things and will end up with a brand new OEM front mount in a box. I have the eBay top link on order, and it's a good thing I knew better than to not get the OEM one because it will take me a while to do the extras that people talked about. What do I need to know about the end joints to order some of the better ones? A part number would be great if possible. I don't think we have McMaster-Carr here in Canada but I believe they ship here.

I was able to find the oil plugs in the FSM in section 3.26 CRANKCASE DISASSEMBLY AND REPAIR which recommends Loctite 565. I found some at Fastenal here locally, but unfortunately not before cggorman posted about it. Is this Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant #59214 the right stuff? I found some at Canadian Tire, much cheaper and only 6ml. FSM calls for 120-144 in-lbs on these plugs. Trying to do things by feel without the experience needed to do so properly is nerve-wracking on critical parts. As a beginner just having that torque spec is quite the relief.

FSM section 3.26

Originally Posted by leafman60
Hi, Gleam and welcome to HD Forums... I hope to ride it to Newfoundland sometime later this year; up your way.
Thanks a lot, these boards are pretty great. Riding your bike to Newfoundland? Lord tunderin, you're about to get wet, my son.

Last edited by gleam; 06-30-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:33 PM
hdglideride17
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The predator mounts are really good and high quality units. I had a Wide Glide 2015. If you decide to go with a Predator Mount, I have a brand new one in the box unopened HDD100M I will sell you very very cheap. I want to get it off the shelf in my garage as I am cleaning things up.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:52 PM
gleam
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by hdglideride17
The predator mounts are really good and high quality units. I had a Wide Glide 2015. If you decide to go with a Predator Mount, I have a brand new one in the box unopened HDD100M I will sell you very very cheap. I want to get it off the shelf in my garage as I am cleaning things up.
I like the part where you waited until the day after I ordered one from the UK to post this.

Haha, that's the way she goes. Thanks though

How was it to get on? I'm trying to figure out how buddy in the video got a crow's foot to work with an allen socket to do his torques, because an allen crow's foot doesn't seem to exist.

So as an overall update I've gotten myself into a situation where I'm waiting for parts because I didn't order everything in time for the different projects I'm trying to do at the same time. The Predator is going to be on its way soon. They replied to my inquiry, and said that they are currently at about two days lead-time for new orders. They 'build all mounts to order and at the moment [they] have a slight delay on the bottom blocks...' so it sounds like it won't be too long. I'm stuck waiting for last minute things I didn't anticipate so all told I'm probably looking at a month downtime depending on how this goes. I've decided the Big Bear is overkill for me in the rear, and I'll be using a new OEM top mount until I can figure out how to do what others have done with their eBay one, which is on its way here now.

Last edited by gleam; 07-03-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:47 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

To upgrade the rod ends, you can use pretty much any standard 3/8 models (3/8 thru ball and 3/8-24 threads). You would need one each of a RH and LH thread.

Not sure who ships to (or resides in) Canada but pretty much any well-stocked high performance auto parts company (Jegs, Summit, Speedway) or industrial machine parts supplier (Grainger, MSC, McMaster-Carr) will have a selection.

I tend to use Midwest Control because they have a huge selection and the prices are fair. I used STM-6 and STML-6 for the top linkage. (Stainless, Teflon, Male-6/16ths)
https://midwestcontrol.com/shop/STM-6

Last edited by cggorman; 07-03-2019 at 08:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
crusader1xxx (07-03-2019), gleam (07-03-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,030 Likes on 4,070 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
To upgrade the rod ends, you can use pretty much any standard 3/8 models (3/8 thru ball and 3/8-24 threads). You would need one each of a RH and LH thread.

Not sure who ships to (or resides in) Canada but pretty much any well-stocked high performance auto parts company (Jegs, Summit, Speedway) or industrial machine parts supplier (Grainger, MSC, McMaster-Carr) will have a selection.

I tend to use Midwest Control because they have a huge selection and the prices are fair. I used STM-6 and STML-6 for the top linkage. (Stainless, Teflon, Male-6/16ths)
https://midwestcontrol.com/shop/STM-6
I use MWC also.. Really need to buy 5 to 10 each to get a decent price.

I use stock front and rear mounts with Sputhe in the front. Predator and a 4 5/8 stroke high compression motor (lighter framed early bike) with 1200 grams for piston weight seemed to be too much for the Predator to handle.

gleam (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 04:31 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dyna100
I'm very happy with OEM rear and Predator front.

I am as Well .. May not be relevant but adding Progressive drop in Springs Front Suspension and Progressive 444's Rear Shocks also helped in Handling Improvement as well as Comfort ..

gleam (07-05-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 01:11 PM
rol427
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

hdglideride17,
I'm interested in your Predator mount.
rol427

Quick Reply: Upgrading motor mounts - which products work well together