Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

touring seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:31 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

have you used that explorer on any long trips?
is it all day comfortable, because it looks like one I would like to try

Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
have you used that explorer on any long trips?
is it all day comfortable, because it looks like one I would like to try
I did 250 miles in 4 hours on it and I'm planning on doing an Iron Butt ride on it (1000 miles in 24 hours or less). I'm more than happy with it. I got the Explorer vs the Step Up as my wife rides a lot with me and this seat had a bigger pillion spot than the step up does.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:53 PM
wagtenor
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Sundowner or a Tallboy is all I need. I prefer the Tallboy for the extra space but both are equally comfortable for both rider and passenger. And quality is great with both.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:58 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

ok I ordered my new seat today.
saddleman explorer ls

cant wait to get it

The following users liked this post:
Jonesy82 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,732 Likes on 1,408 Posts

I'm very sensitive to riding position and accompanying ergo's for seats and handlebars. Both my wife and I have Switchbacks and have 6 seats in the garage between us. If it helps, I'm 5'11" w/ 34" inseam. My experience gives the following......

- HD Sundowner Dual - Moves the rider forward 1" and up 1" - Too scrunched up for me
- HD Sundowner Solo w/ Pillion - Moves the rider back 1" and up 1". My wife runs this seat on her bike. Both of us find it very comfortable, although it tends to lock the rider into one position. While the build quality is better than stock, it's not up to Mustange/Cobrin standards. The way the pillion connects on this seat gives me the heebie jeebies. It is a plastic tab that, to me, looks very fragile.
- HD Tallboy (dual) - Moves the rider back 1.75" and up 2". It is a dramatic change in riding position, approaching HD's Police seat riding position. When using this seat, the windscreen seems low and the handlebar position is notably lower. Of the HD seats that I've tried, I like this one best. Love the commanding riding position. I've ridden on this seat for 10.5 hours/710 miles from Asheville, NC to Bergen County, NJ. Very tourable. The seating area is wide and flat, so it makes it easy to reposition oneself. It is a BIG seat and looks lie a tumor on the bike.
Corbin Classic Solo w/ Backrest and Pillion - Moves the rider back between 1.5" - 2" and down at least 1". Of the seats I've tried, this one gives the most of the "riding in the bike" feel vs "riding on the bike". Quality of this seat is excellent. Leather, rivets and I believe a metal pan. Rider and pillion connection is very stout. It is the only seat I know of that locks to the bike, as does the backrest. Compared to the Mustang back rest, I like the Corbin's better. At least for me, a better shape and has the hole in the middle (allows your back to breathe). I've used this seat on a couple of multiday trips from NJ to VT and back. (roughly 1k miles / trip). I LOVE the leather and the backrest. I find the seat very hard, too hard. The very pronounced edge where the top meets the side digs into my thighs after 2-3 hours of riding and has me squirming after that. Every summer, I toy with having Corbin make me a seat with softer foam density and a more rounded top/side edge.
Mustang Wide Touring w/ backrest and Pillion - Moves the rider slightly rearward and upward from stock.....maybe 1" each way, but I think a little less....I'd prefer a little more. This seat is the best all around compromise I've yet found. Quality of materials is excellent and has a very solid mechanism to attach rider and pillion seats together. Backrest isn't bad, but I don't like that I can just pull it out of the seat. Seems very easy to steal. Fortunately, having a Switchback, the backrest fits into the side bags when folded over. I used this seat last summer for a trip from NJ to the Dragon and back (2,000 miles in 5 days). Aside from regular soreness from spending many hours in the saddle, I didn't find comfort issues attributable to the seat (aside from wanting a slightly more "open" riding position"). As mentioned, wish it was a smidge further back and a smidge higher for a more optimal seating position for me, but aside from that, it is an excellent seat.

I don't have experience with Saddleman seats, but from what I've researched, they are excellent seats, but the riding position may be a little too scrunched up for me. Other touring seats I've been eyeing are the Danny Grey TourIST and LowIST seats. Dimensionally, they are in the ball park of what I'm looking for, but I've read some things on build quality that give me pause.

Good luck!

Last edited by rauchman; 06-17-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Qdog002 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

I am literally waiting for return shipping of my rebuilt stock '14 Ultra seat from Mean City Cycles. I will give you a photo and ride report once received.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:36 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rauchman
I'm very sensitive to riding position and accompanying ergo's for seats and handlebars. Both my wife and I have Switchbacks and have 6 seats in the garage between us. If it helps, I'm 5'11" w/ 34" inseam. My experience gives the following......

- HD Sundowner Dual - Moves the rider forward 1" and up 1" - Too scrunched up for me
- HD Sundowner Solo w/ Pillion - Moves the rider back 1" and up 1". My wife runs this seat on her bike. Both of us find it very comfortable, although it tends to lock the rider into one position. While the build quality is better than stock, it's not up to Mustange/Cobrin standards. The way the pillion connects on this seat gives me the heebie jeebies. It is a plastic tab that, to me, looks very fragile.
- HD Tallboy (dual) - Moves the rider back 1.75" and up 2". It is a dramatic change in riding position, approaching HD's Police seat riding position. When using this seat, the windscreen seems low and the handlebar position is notably lower. Of the HD seats that I've tried, I like this one best. Love the commanding riding position. I've ridden on this seat for 10.5 hours/710 miles from Asheville, NC to Bergen County, NJ. Very tourable. The seating area is wide and flat, so it makes it easy to reposition oneself. It is a BIG seat and looks lie a tumor on the bike.
Corbin Classic Solo w/ Backrest and Pillion - Moves the rider back between 1.5" - 2" and down at least 1". Of the seats I've tried, this one gives the most of the "riding in the bike" feel vs "riding on the bike". Quality of this seat is excellent. Leather, rivets and I believe a metal pan. Rider and pillion connection is very stout. It is the only seat I know of that locks to the bike, as does the backrest. Compared to the Mustang back rest, I like the Corbin's better. At least for me, a better shape and has the hole in the middle (allows your back to breathe). I've used this seat on a couple of multiday trips from NJ to VT and back. (roughly 1k miles / trip). I LOVE the leather and the backrest. I find the seat very hard, too hard. The very pronounced edge where the top meets the side digs into my thighs after 2-3 hours of riding and has me squirming after that. Every summer, I toy with having Corbin make me a seat with softer foam density and a more rounded top/side edge.
Mustang Wide Touring w/ backrest and Pillion - Moves the rider slightly rearward and upward from stock.....maybe 1" each way, but I think a little less....I'd prefer a little more. This seat is the best all around compromise I've yet found. Quality of materials is excellent and has a very solid mechanism to attach rider and pillion seats together. Backrest isn't bad, but I don't like that I can just pull it out of the seat. Seems very easy to steal. Fortunately, having a Switchback, the backrest fits into the side bags when folded over. I used this seat last summer for a trip from NJ to the Dragon and back (2,000 miles in 5 days). Aside from regular soreness from spending many hours in the saddle, I didn't find comfort issues attributable to the seat (aside from wanting a slightly more "open" riding position"). As mentioned, wish it was a smidge further back and a smidge higher for a more optimal seating position for me, but aside from that, it is an excellent seat.

I don't have experience with Saddleman seats, but from what I've researched, they are excellent seats, but the riding position may be a little too scrunched up for me. Other touring seats I've been eyeing are the Danny Grey TourIST and LowIST seats. Dimensionally, they are in the ball park of what I'm looking for, but I've read some things on build quality that give me pause.

Good luck!

good info thanks

rauchman (06-24-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 04:37 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sailmotion
I am literally waiting for return shipping of my rebuilt stock '14 Ultra seat from Mean City Cycles. I will give you a photo and ride report once received.

I bet it helps. The stock foam on my seat wore out pretty quickly

Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

I got the seat and it is great.
I have only done one ride with it but I can tell it is very comfortable.
It is a dam good looking seat too

rauchman (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,732 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
I got the seat and it is great.
I have only done one ride with it but I can tell it is very comfortable.
It is a dam good looking seat too

Excellent and congrats on the new seat. How does the seat reposition your from stock? Also, did you get the backrest? Any comments as to backrest comfort?

Quick Reply: touring seat?