Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howling front brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 02:32 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 873 Likes on 619 Posts
Default Howling front brake

Last fall, when I first got this bike, the front brake made this God-awful howling noise, like a semi truck brake. The front pads were pretty nasty so I replaced them with Lyndall Gold Plus. All was well until yesterday (first ride of the season). Now, the noise is back. Not every time, but often enough to be obnoxious. It's a floating disk. Could it be loose? Any ideas?

TIA...

Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Assuming the pads aren't worn down to the wear markers (which are little protrusions on some pads designed to make the brakes squeal before you get metal-on-metal damage), brake dust of one kind or another is the usual culprit.

Any rust on the disc after sitting over-winter? That rust-dust can clog up brake pads and make the brake squeal.

Generally, I'd:

(i) take off the pads and give them a quick wirebrush (and sandpaper if necessary) to take off any glaze/embeded dust,
(ii) clean down the disc with a scouring pad and warm soapy water, then rinse well, and
(iii) use anti-squeal paste (eg Loctite 718808 or similar) on the back of the pads, between pad and piston when re-installing the pads.

amazon.com/Loctite-718808-Brake-Quiet-19-gram/dp/B003XZCNQS amazon.com/Loctite-718808-Brake-Quiet-19-gram/dp/B003XZCNQS

Last edited by Davdoodles; 05-08-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team

Thanks. It's not a squeal, more like a ringing sound. I recall my 10 speed bike used to make a similar sound from the brakes that clamped on the wheel rim.

The pads were new last fall and appeared to fix the problem then. The old pads looked like they had rusted to the disk, or something. (The disk did not look like the pads had rusted to them. Hard to describe, like little granules missing form the surface). The disk appeared to be fine (and does today). I did clean it, and will try that again. I think I did use anti-squeal compound.

Last edited by John CC; 05-08-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:03 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team

It's obnoxious! I removed the pads and cleaned the Brake Quiet off the back. Cleaned the disk and lightly sanded it. Re-applied the brake quiet and reinstalled the pads, with caliper grease on all the contact points. No difference!

The noise happens under moderate brake pressure. Go lighter or harder and it stops. I get nothing like it from the back.

Any ideas? I don't like people staring at me...

Maybe it's time for the Big Brake conversion...

Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

Time to get the wheel into the air and spin it while you are sitting in front of it. Where is the noise coming from? Some times its just the air going through the holes in the rotor that makes noise, sometimes its the pads themselves other times it has nothing to do with the brakes at all and the noise comes from some place else...

Old 07-10-2019, 04:15 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team

Definitely the brake. I can feel the vibration back through the lever.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,760 Likes on 3,117 Posts

If you can "feel the vibration through the lever" then you might take a look at your rotor. You mention "little granules missing from the surface." I think this may be your problem, sorry to say. There's an uneven ness in/on your swept surface, due to sustained contact with your pads. Humidity can cause the pads to remove a slight layer of metal just where the pads are touching the rotor, and the wheel is stationary for 5 months. This removal may create a "low spot" on the disk. This is what's causing your lever vibration.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM
SMFtwstdHICK
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John CC
It's obnoxious! I removed the pads and cleaned the Brake Quiet off the back. Cleaned the disk and lightly sanded it. Re-applied the brake quiet and reinstalled the pads, with caliper grease on all the contact points. No difference!

The noise happens under moderate brake pressure. Go lighter or harder and it stops. I get nothing like it from the back.

Any ideas? I don't like people staring at me...

Maybe it's time for the Big Brake conversion...
BBC makes a little noise when the brake is applied as well. I have the BBC and it's almost like a buzzing noise.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah, vibration means somethings not right. If you have enough meat left, get the rotor turned, throw new pads on it... you can get caliper rebuild kits too - pistons, seals...etc.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like the rotor is suspect,I've got a similar issue w my Dyna, kind of a squeaking grind. It's been a common theme any late 90s Evo I've owned. The braking system on the evo dyna is pretty weak. Been lookin at adapters to put on a 4 piston setup.

Quick Reply: Howling front brake