Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts and stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Motor Mounts and stabilizers

I went down two months ago and i shreded my front motor mount, so i need to buy a new one.
I never really had any complaints about engine vibration but i hate the lateral movement i get going in and out of tight or higher speed turns.

There are so many damn options and they are all costly, it makes it hard to decide. Plus, like anything else, I've gotten twenty different opionions. Comparing the same products, some say not worth the $, others say mind blowing improvement.
I've been looking at Custom Cycle Engineering, true track, chopper hauss, aloy art, predator VCS and a new product which are rebuildable mounts w Stainless steel compressed mesh from "Kinetic Structures".
I upgraded my front sudpension but I'm still riding on stock in the rear. I would really like to address the lateral movement that i get in my swingarm but I'm wondering if my $ wouldbe better spent investing into rear shocks instead of a rear stabilizer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:46 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Unfortunately, I think the reason there are so many opinions is that each option has worked differently on different bikes. There are so many potential "points of weirdness" on a Dyna, and many of them manifest themselves in similar ways but are caused by different things. My bike feels pretty solid in pretty "sporty" riding, with a Predator up front and OEM w/Sputhe in the back. But some feel otherwise...

Most of what I've read (and experienced) is that when stock, the front is more prone to lateral movement than the rear. If you feel you're experiencing "rear steer," I don't think shocks will have any effect. A front stabilizer may (unless the issue is rear wheel alignment, wheel bearings, swingarm bearings...). I chose the Predator partly for aesthetic reasons, honestly (opposed to stock w/stabilizer)... But it also makes sense to me to take the front out of vertical shear (but I'm no engineer).

Old 05-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,630 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Last fall I noticed I would get a slight vibration in my pegs. Once the bike warmed up it would stop, it seemed. This winter I took my down tube bag of to inspect my stock mount. Read up on how when if the top of the mount is hitting the engine bracket it causes vibration. I could get a feeler gauge in between, but it took some pressure. The mount was barley touching the bracket but it was touching. I posted on her asking opinions on shimming and shaving the mount . Most responces were, if you’re going to pull the mount you mise well replace. Went out Friday (50 degrees out) I got the vibration in the pegs and I said to myself, I am gonna pull the mount. I pulled the mount. The mount looked fine( no oil damage) and it took about 15 min to pull. It took longer to get my jack set up ( to support motor)then pull the 4 bolts I shaved a skim coat of the top and shimmed it . I took the bike out yesterday and it felt great. No more vibes in pegs. .dont know how long it will last. I run alloy art stabilizers front and back with the stock mounts for now. I am also interested in the mesh mounts , when it’s time. The suggestions and options will make your head hurt.

Simple fix, for now.