Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Dyna SE Slip-On experiment

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:09 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '06 Dyna SE Slip-On experiment

I've got an '06 DWG. I've been looking for a little more sound, but I'm short on cash right now. I picked up a set of brand new 49-state legal SE slip-ons on Ebay last week. My bike is all stock and I decided to see how it would run with these pipes. I put them on yesterday and went for a 25 mile test ride today. Since my EFI is stock, I half expected it to run lean, pop and and crackle, but it ran fine. No popping, and it didn't seem to get any hotter than normal. I did notice the pipes were "pinging" a lot when I shut it off, but it was 45 degrees outside. Motor didn't seem hot, so I dunno what was causing all the pinging after shut down. Maybe it was just my imagination.

Anyways, the bike ran great, but the pipes were really not much louder than stock. HD advertises these as 25% louder, but 25% of nothing is nothing. I couldn't tell much difference. I'm gonna pull these off and put them back on Ebay. Gonna save up and get the Vance and Hines pipes due out in January. Probably get a DFO or a stage I remap at that time. Plus a new AC.

I figured this was worth posting about. If you've got an '06 Dyna and you want some SE slip ons, then you can probably use them without spending the bucks on a remap (as long as you leave the stock AC on the bike). It worked on my bike anyways... as always, your mileage my vary.

(Edited to add - the slip-ons were advertised as the SE 49-state legal ones for '05 and earlier Dynas.)

Old 10-25-2005, 10:22 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: '06 Dyna SE Slip-On experiment

According to HD there is no need for a re-map or other alterations to the intake system if you only change pipes.

Pinging after shutdown is a very normal thing. It is nothing more than the pipes and mufflers cooling off. The cooler the ambient temperture is the faster the cooling takes place, and the more pinging you will have.

As far as sound goes, you will find that if you run the SE's for about 2,000 miles they will get pretty loud. She SE's my wife had on her 97 Lowrider were obnoxiously loud if you were riding to the right rear of her.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-26-2005, 03:30 PM
FXDIinMD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i learned a lesson not too long ago.

when i got my mufflers done i originally thought the mufflers in the Harley wish book were what i wanted... thankfully the dealer messed up and didn't have any so the parts guy told me that i didn't want those anyway since i was looking for more sound and performance.

he pointed out that there are two kinds of "SE" pipes... the ones in the wish book listed as SE and the ones in the SE wish book.

the later are the ones you want.... and they are loud but not obnoxious... unless, as Bill said, you riding to right rear.

the mufflers you want will be stamped "Screamin Eagle II" right on them.

hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:26 PM
fordracing19
Advanced

I pick up my 05> santee slip ons this afternoo along with some Iso flamed grips. I will try to put them on tonight and report back tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Mr.Grumpy
Advanced

let me know about those pipes. I'll take them off your hands for whatever you paid for them + shipping.

ken

Old 10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
mkink
Advanced

I installed a set of SEII's on my 2006 FXDI and they have been great. Sound is much improved, and I have not noticed one problem with the way the bike runs. One caveat though, I have only put about 200 miles on these pipes so far, so I guess only time will tell.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Bob Cosby
Advanced

Many thanks for the info, and Fordracing19, I'll be anxious to hear how you like your pipes too. I'm starting to look for an upgrade now. I want a bit louder than stock, but nothing near obnoxious.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
fordracing19
Advanced

Put the santee slipons on last night along with the iso flame grips and throttle boss. Took around 45min for both. Fit was perfect and the ride to work this morning was nice. I think the pipes sound and look goodfor $100. No running problems what so ever. On a 06 with o2 sensors if it has a lean condition and the o2 cant adjust the fuel trims enough we should see a mil with like a p0171 or other type lean code. It should distinguish bank 1 and 2 rich/lean.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:33 PM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: fordracing19

Put the santee slipons on last night along with the iso flame grips and throttle boss. Took around 45min for both. Fit was perfect and the ride to work this morning was nice. I think the pipes sound and look goodfor $100. .
Sounds good PUN intended
?? Could you tell me where you got the pipes for $100

Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
fordracing19
Advanced

friend of mine has a bike shop. www.bikerzpitstop.com You can get them for like $89 from www.mandmcycles.com

Quick Reply: '06 Dyna SE Slip-On experiment