Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 PM
VenturaChop
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change question

whats up guys well im gonna do my 1000mile service on my own tommarrow and wondering what oil i should get.....i ride to work and it rarely hits 90 degress......... what oil for the motor tranny and primary would u guys suggest for my climate....

Old 07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: oil change question

Well I am an RP (Royal purple) man myself. They make an excellent choice of fluids to chose from. Check them out on line to see which ones would probably be best for your riding conditions. I use 20-W50 from them year round. Course down here in Missouri it gets plenty hot so I need that type of protection.
For the tranny and primaryI use 90 weight synthetic gear oil from Royal Purple. Its all pretty good stuff from them.

Mr. Castle

Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 AM
dynaguy
Cruiser

Well i ride 07WG .I just got my 1000 done. I put amsoil 20W50 in motor/ primary.Redline shockproff in tranny. K/N oil filter.I am tickled willl redline in trans makes shifting alot better.You need to give it a try.Engine rus cooler too.Plus with K/N filter you dont have to buy oil filter wrench.It has a bolt welded on bottom of it.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil 20/50 in engine and primary, amsoil severe gear oil in tranny( heard good things about redline but noone stocks locally, dealer sells only amsoil and HD brand), K&N oil filter. But I also changed all three at 50 miles and 500 milesbefore I switched to synthetic amsoil at 1500 miles, I used castrol 20/50 gtx on first two changes(cheaper) andthe decreased friction of syntheticsisn't better when breaking in a motor. Not many people change oil in the first 50 miles, they should, or at 500, they should, or they switch to synthetics too soon. All I know, I had a little metal mushysludge around drain plugs at 50 and 500 miles(especially the primary plug), but at1500 mile change, pretty clean around plugs. Peace.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: VenturaChop

whats up guys well im gonna do my 1000mile service on my own tommarrow and wondering what oil i should get.....i ride to work and it rarely hits 90 degress......... what oil for the motor tranny and primary would u guys suggest for my climate....
Here's the deal. Amsoil is good chit, but so is Mobil 1. The biggest difference is, you can get mobil one anywhere, and the Amsoil is a bit harder to find. That in mind, I'm running the Mobil 1 full synthetic V-Twin in the engine, the Mobil 1 sythetic 75-90 in the tranny, and plain old harley dino primary oil. That way, if I'm a long way from home and need a change or just to add half a quart, I'm not spending half a day trying to find oil.

Keep in mind that the Syn III Harley crap is not synthetic at all, just a highly refined dino juice.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I run Mobil 1 20W-50 in engine, Redline shockproof in tranny and Redline ATF in primary. My opinon on Amsoil is that there is too much conspiracy theory so I just stay away. Furthermore, I have read that Amsoil gets their base stock from Mobil1.

And for the record, I hear no difference b/w the Redline and 75W90 Mobil1 in the tranny. Still loud a$$ clank when I shift.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:42 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

I used to run royal purple in my cars and was always satisfied with it, although i couldnt tell how much cooler the motor ran cus i installed temp gauges after i changed to syn.... ive got about 9k miles on my 06 and i still run regular HD oil. Id like to switch to synthetic but only if it makes a significant difference and actually runs cooler.. whats the word on the best oil to run cooler? Id like to know how you noticed a difference as well.