Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut fender struts on frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 01:22 PM
dynamedic
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cut fender struts on frame

Looks like it’s supposed to be that way from the factory 🤷🏻*♂️
So I bought an 02 FXD from a guy a few weeks ago. Everything is sounds mechanically but the rear fender was pretty beat up. I removed the fender to have it fixed/painted and ran into an issue. I don’t know if it was the guy I brought it from or a previous owner but the fender struts were cut on the frame. Thy are cut about 2 inches past the first holes for the fender bolt. Whoever did it did a damn good job, it honestly took me a day or so to notice. It was grinded down to a radius and repainted.

I have the fender strut covers and the fender so I won’t have an issue remounting the fender, my question is will I be able to ride 2 up on this bike? I’ve done some searching but most threads are about wanting to cut the struts, not wanting them back lol. Most have said basically take it to a fab guy and have them use the strut covers as a template and extend the frame struts. If I drill a second hole behind what’s left and essentially a third hole in the fender would that be enough support (in conjunction with the strut covers) to ride 2 up?

Thanks guys

Old 02-09-2019, 01:42 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I woudn't ride two up on that. Your passenger is going to be 4-6" further than that bolt. Fender is just not made to hold someone like that.

Looks like they cut about 6-8" off that strut, based on the picture of the frame I'm looking at.

Have some extensions welded on, by a good welder.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:08 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

What he said ^

Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

Sorry, but your f’d if you want to run two up....hope you got the bike cheap if you just bought it ...any chance to ask the previous owner? Was the rear fender chopped as well?

If you goal is to return it to stock your going to have to find someone who is good at frame repairs, this IS a safety issue.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Post several new threads ( want to buy / on the dyna forum / in the general section / even the engine forum ) on this forum and other
forums and find some leftover struts ....Buy them and have a welder cut \ fit / align carefully and weld. This will be your best bet to preserve the chassis for two up riding.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:42 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Maybe slide a couple of these over the ends? ...

Old 02-09-2019, 04:52 PM
dynamedic
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
Post several new threads ( want to buy / on the dyna forum / in the general section / even the engine forum ) on this forum and other
forums and find some leftover struts ....Buy them and have a welder cut \ fit / align carefully and weld. This will be your best bet to preserve the chassis for two up riding.
have you seen some around? Being a part of the frame I wouldn’t imagine that very many people have any “leftover” struts lol. Unless I find someone that just chopped there’s off I guess.

well now I know I gotta look in literally every nook and cranny when buying a bike

the dude did have about $6k in engine work done at a shop prior to selling it, so I got a good deal overall I suppose

Old 02-09-2019, 04:55 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Maybe slide a couple of these over the ends? ...

Then apply hairspray to stiffen.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

EZ fix!

Or
Now is the time to add a drop frame section .

Old 02-09-2019, 06:55 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

You can have a competent machine shop make you ones to weld back on there that would fit the same radius of where he cut it. A good tug welder (good welder) and she will be back to normal

Quick Reply: Cut fender struts on frame