Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 PM
dynacruiser
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas Synthetic

I've heard a lot about Lucas keeping the engine cooler and ultimately prolonging the life of the motor. Opinions....?
Also, will the dealership use Lucas upon request of does it void the warranty not to use what H.D. recommends?

[IMG]local://upfiles/28115/EE735F3C49CE4186A7DD649D2E061EB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lucas Synthetic

First, as long as the oil you use meets the specs outlined by HD it cannot, under any circumstances, void the warranty. Period.

Second, use any oil you want as long as it meets HD spec's and floats your boat. Personally, I cannotremember the last time I heard about an oil related engine failure. I doubt many people keep their bikes long enough, orput enough miles on them,to see engine wear that could be caused by "poor" quality oil. I've used about 6 different brands of oil in my bikes in the last two years and have yet to find a significant, heck any, difference in performance, temp, etc. JMHO, your mileage may vary......

Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I completely agree with EVO he is correct on both points. Most modern oils are designed to protect and lubricate very well. The application (I.E. car, truck, bike, marine, race, motocross etc.) is but some of the basic variants that need to be considered.
There are many schools of thought on synthectics vs.organic based oils. I would never run anything but a high grade synthetic in my bike (thats me though) I use Royal Purple engine and gear fluidsin all of my cases (xmsn. eng. and primary) and my scooter runs like a top. I have 6K miles on my 06 FXDLR and it is coming due for a service. I will once again use Royal purple as it is my oil of choice.

Mr. Castle

Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM
dynacruiser
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys. Just want to play it safe. My truck is 10 years old (still runs good with only 80,000). I bought the bike instead of a new truck so it is my main means of transportation when I'm not with the family and I need it to last a loooong time.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Romark
Road Master

I too am a Royal Purple fan with having experience from my last two bikes (both Jap.) They shifted easier and smoother with RP.

Frank, Can you recomend which Royal Purple products for my Engine, Trans, and primary? Thanks a lot. I have done a good job in confusing myself as to which viscocity to use and where.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I use 20W-50 in the engine and for thexmsn and primaryI use 90 weight Royal Purplegear oil. I also use RP in my cars. (I dont want to sound like a spokesman for them) but their stuff is good $hit. I use RP in the engines, transfer cases, transmissions, rear ends and even the diamond ice in the cooling system. They (RP) claim that along with all of the significant and improved protection, the lubricants are so well engineered that they actually cause less "rolling friction" between parts which we all know is a power robber. [>:]They also state that their fluids are of such high quality that they do not suffer from the same issues with fluid "break down" as do some other fluids. This isnt to say that you shouldnt follow regular recommended service intrevals and fluid changes, because you should and its not to say that oils like Mobil one or Castrol arent good too, because they are.
I did alot of research before settling on RP and I only use the best. Hope this helps.

Mr. Castle

Old 07-07-2007, 06:18 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

oil is oil it depends what valve they turn on to pour into what bottle. Look at harley oil they don't even tell you what is in it.I have been running organic oil for 43,000 miles on my superglide 98 20w50 with no problems but I can't say about the 07 with the heat issues

Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Romark
Road Master

Thanks Frank. I apreciate your recomendations.