Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty or Dyna? I'm torn!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:07 PM
BentZero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty or Dyna? I'm torn!!

Here's my dilema. Last night I rode a Street Bob that a friend of mine rented for another friend. I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride for it's size. Same friend calls me today and says that the dealer just got in a silver/black Nightster and to head over there pronto due to the special $125 financing and they finally got a Nightster in one of the two colors that I want. Too bad my friend is color blind and it turned out to be the blue/black 1200N. It's a beautiful color, but as a Clemson fan I can't bring myself to buy a bike that's close to being UNC blue.

So, I walk over and check out a black Dyna Super Glide and love that as well. I just wish it was two-tone. Salesman told me that I could get the 1200N for 10g and the Dyna would be 14g with 1g cash back. I'm so torn now. My biggest issue now is that I like the looks of the Nightster 2% better, but I'm worried that once I get used to the bike I'll want something bigger. Do you think that will be the case? I've been waiting for a Nightster for months now and now I'm having buyer's remorse before I even buy.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Sporty or Dyna? I'm torn!!

I was in the same boat as you before I bought my street bob. Honestly, the deciding factor was size. Not motor size, but overall bike size. I am 6' tall and I just dont fit on a sportster. I test rode a new 1200 coustom to try out one with the forwards and it still felt cramped. I have plenty of room on my dyna. On a side note, the nightster is still one of the coolest looking new harleys i have seen.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
BentZero
Cruiser

I'm only 5' 9", so that won't be much of an issue for me. One thing I didn't like is that the bars on the Street Bob were a bit tall for me, but they're just right on the FXD. I'm just worried that I'll want to "upgrade" up from the Nightster after a few months, but I also love how the Nightster looks. It's the reason I even started looking at Harleys.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Streetbob and my buddy has a Nightster. Both bikes are very nice and they each have their own "personality". The Streetbob is a larger bike (engine, weight, etc) but the Nightster seems to fit him very well.

If I had to choose between the two I would still go for the Streetbob. I am 6 ft. tall and the Nightster seemed a little cramped for me. He let me take it around the block the other day and I have to admit that it handles really well and has plenty of power.

You can't go wrong with either bike.

BTW - We were at a gas station the other day and a couple of guys came over and oogled around the Nightster. They never even looked twice at the Bob. My buddy isn't invited to ride with me anymore.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:24 PM
dynaguy
Cruiser

I can only share my experince. In april of 07went and bought a 07 1200C. Rode it and after about 70 miles my but was aching. The sportie was fun. 70mph on interstate sounds pretty welll wound up. Long story short took a beating on sportie .Went and traded it in on a 07 dyna wide glide.I am one happy harley rider.I guess it depends what kind of riding you do.Round town sportie is fine bike.For the long haul go with dyna. Also that 96 cubic in. Hauls.Good luck on either one

Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dynaguy

I can only share my experince. In april of 07went and bought a 07 1200C. Rode it and after about 70 miles my but was aching. The sportie was fun. 70mph on interstate sounds pretty welll wound up. Long story short took a beating on sportie .Went and traded it in on a 07 dyna wide glide.I am one happy harley rider.I guess it depends what kind of riding you do.Round town sportie is fine bike.For the long haul go with dyna. Also that 96 cubic in. Hauls.Good luck on either one

same story here to the letter .

Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a Sportie this year to get back into riding after 40 years off. Probably be on a Bob next year. Love the Sportie, but want to start doing some distance. 200 miles = 1 sore a$$. If it wasn't for my touring seat, I'd never leave town.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

My story also.Bought a sporty, Was great around town, Hated it on the freeway. Bought a dyna and sold the sporty. I dont miss it at all. The dyna is good around town but so much better over 60 mph on the hiway, way better 2up also. I'm only 5'7" 180#. A little more weight to move around backing up and such but not that big of deal. I think the dyna will hold its resale better than a sporty will. Good luck on your decision and welcome to Harley's. They ROCK.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser

I had a Sportster (97 883)before and traded it in on a 05 Super Glide 2 years ago. I will admit that I lust after the Nightster, but remembering what the highway was like onthe Sporty reminds me how much I love my Superglide. It is amazing what an extra 100-150 lbs will dotoa bike when a big truck passes by. The Sporty changed lanes without my consent and th SG holds its line when the big farm trucks and big rigspass by. Voyager brought up a great point about what type of riding you plan on doing will help determine whcih bike is right for you.

LeavenworthJeff

Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
joetst2
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: dynaguy

I too started out the an '06 Sporty Custom. The bike was a lot of fun, especially after the stage 1 upgrade. Wow, was it fast off the line. My only issue was that after about 50 or so miles the humming vibrations in the handlebars (very subtle and harly noticable) would occasionally make my hands numb. I sold it and bought an '07 Low Rider. I am very happy with this bike. The lean angles are virtually identical for fun on the twisties, and now I can actually see clearly in my rearview mirrors... which of course means no low level handlebar vibrations and no numb hands.

Quick Reply: Sporty or Dyna? I'm torn!!