Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Sabaka454
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels

I'm thinking about ditching my twisted spokes....anyone have a good source for wheels? I know there's a zillion different companies but I'd like to go with someone reputable... Also if you have pix of your custom wheels that'd be cool too!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:21 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Wheels

Have heard nothing but good things about Hogpro. Step-dads bike has their wheels, rotors, and pulley. Been to their shop and it is nice. Great guys.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Cabo
Road Captain

Don't you like the Twisted or just looking for a change? I think they look great.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Sabaka454
Cruiser

I like them but they kinda get boringafter a whilewith me. I was thinking something like this....
I know the wheel is on backwards but I don't have photoshop skillz yet

Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

looks like your photoshop skills are good to me and I like the new wheels!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Sabaka454
Cruiser

I didn't do it someone else did... I put a request in the photoshop forum for someone to do it for me...

I like them too

Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

With the chrome and that sick paint job, I think those would look good on your bike. I am not a fan of mags on the Harleys, but sometimes they work.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:01 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know the difference between cast, billit and forged wheels ?
I got some good prices from www.bikersimage.com
They have several designs. I was lookin at RC componets. RC has real good warranties.
I got a 07 Fxwg, Just took a 160/70 17" rear wheel off and put a 170/60 17" metzler on. Shoulda gone to a 180/55/17.
Oh yea if you git wheels for yer scoot, they don't make 17" you will either have to go 16" or 18"/ I'm looking at 18" in a 180/55 18" with metzler tires. The metzler tires are more rounded and ride better than Dunlop to me.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Sabaka454
Cruiser

The tires I have on there now are Metzlers
140/90 16 in the rear and 90/90 21 in the front. I would like to go with something a little wider.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the MH 80 21 on front, I went with the MH80 21. the 80 rides better than the 90. I got them at a Indy shop.
Don't know how much room you have for wider tires.
I had the 160/70 17" on back, the tire was flatter in the center making it walk around on the road. I didn't like changing lanes when they was uneven and I've been riding since the 60's. When I went with the 170/60 17" metzler it was a more rounder tire and rode better. It's just hit's bumps a little harder because the sidewalls are not as thick, But I really like the tires.
Brian at RC componets or Wesley at bikersimage have manuals to asnwer yer questions on what will fit yer bike.
My buddy has a 96 wide glide, he has 16" on the back of his bike. He has custom wheels on his bike. I posted this on another web site, it may help explain about differnt kinds of wheels to you.

Cast or Forged wheels [/align][hr]

Did you want to know this before you buy yer next wheel !

Custom designed show-grade polished aluminum wheels and pulleys for all Harley Davidson Motorcycles by Altered Wheels.

FORGED WHEELS “Why is FORGING the Best?”
There are 3 ways to build motorcycle rims; Casting, Billet, and Forging.

Cast Wheels. These are usually stock items from the factories. Casting is essentially pouring molten metal through a mold.

+ Advantages - would be mainly for the manufacturer, very little machining is required and is inexpensive and factories can maintain high production volume. The customer does get a break on price as cast wheels are the low end of the motorcycle wheels family.

- Disadvantage - for the consumer primarily is that there is NO Particular Grain to absorb the load, thus allowing cracks to propagate in any and ALL directions. They are very porous (like a sponge) this allows for structural weakness and also make them VERY difficult to polish, cast wheel do not chrome very well either.

> Tensile Strength - Approximately 34,000 pounds psi (per square inch).

Billet Wheels. Usually created by an extruding process where the wheels are actually machined out of a bigger piece of metal and then they are heated and compressed.

+ Advantages - would be mainly for the manufacturer, a bit more costly than cast wheels to make but less than Forging. Once the company purchases or leases the massive “Play-Doh” like compressing machines the wheel making process almost a fast as cast production. The Billet wheel is the second step in the wheel evolution.

- Disadvantage - for the consumer there still is a problem with pits and void, but not as great as the cast wheel. The billet wheel does have a grain, but because that grain is a strait grain, like in wood, allows for propagation of fractures inline with the grain (like chopping lumber, it is easier to chop with the grain).

> Tensile Strength - Approximately 62,000 to 65,000 pounds psi (per square inch)

Forged Wheels. A totally space age process that takes the Billet Wheel to the next level using science, alchemy and metallurgy to create the strongest wheel today.

+ Advantages - Customers get a VERY clean, non-porous rim, that when polished looks better than chrome. Forged wheels DO NOT need to be balanced!!! NO weights to clean around or mess up the look of your custom bike. Forged wheel will ABSORB impact because the design allows them to be flexible, and they can be repaired if the wheel gets minor damage. Forging also has the BEST polishing properties, whether it is left as shiny aluminum or chromed. Forged aluminum wheels are by far the safest and strongest of the 3 three wheel choices.

- Disadvantage - The process takes longer for manufacturers because of the steps involved, would be very difficult to mass produce without huge upfront costs and a an even larger labor force…it will be a while before you se

Quick Reply: Wheels