Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip's for 1st Cabureted Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018 | 12:29 PM
DivineRitual
|
6th Gear
Default Tip's for 1st Cabureted Dyna?

I'm buying my first motocycle after this MSF course in a few days.

From what I've gathered from research, Carb'd motorcycle's are cheaper to work on, easier to mod and no efi to tune just adjust the carb for mods.

I don't think i'll mind the warm up/choke... heard people complain about not being able to just start and go right away, but it seems that by the time you start, put on gear and sit down you're good to go.

I'm looking into 2000-2005 Super Glide(with carb) as it's a lot cheaper than efi, and also want to learn the in's and out's of the motorcycle and have the ability to work on it myself and really put myself INTO the bike ya know. This will be a bike I'll ride every day to work and do 200 mile trips, with friends who ride.

First motorcycle... Not worried about dyna weight considering the msf at harley makes you use street 500's... which weeigh 100lb's wet less than dyna's haha.

any tips for working with carbureted motorcycle's and general maintainence? (Wanting some opinions and insight, thanks! Searched the forums didn't find much except for rebuilding carb's.)

Any insight will be appreicated!

Last edited by DivineRitual; 12-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2018 | 12:59 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior

Carbs and light bikes are fine as long as you are on flat ground and by yourself. Put someone on the back and go up a mountain and you will come to appreciate EFI quickly. I remember many times going from Sacramento to Reno on my 98 STS with my wife on the back and by the time I hit Donner pass I felt like I was on a Honda 50 at WOT! They may be cheaper for a reason!

Old 12-04-2018 | 01:12 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Running good gas in it is the best tip I can give. The highest octane you can find and ideally ZERO ethanol.

Old 12-04-2018 | 01:14 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

I've got a 2002 and 2005 Dyna, the 02 is a Superglide carb and the 05 a EFI Lowrider. The Lowrider has an open intake and open exhaust. I added a DFO for EFI reasons, the 05 also had valve guide issues from the factory. My 02 is fun to ride and really hasn't been a maintenance issue, just regular stuff, fluids tires/brakes. If it's still on line look up Joe Minton and fine tuning the Keihn Carb. This is a good read, to prevent problems avoid installing a Dyno-Jet carb. kit, more troubles than success'. That's my opinion and is substantiated on other forums. Minton's mods are inexpensive and easy to do. The wife and I rode the 02 to west NY and back. Added removable windscreen and leather saddle bags. A lot of accy. and some parts can be had through J&P Cycles, Dennis Krk and others.

Didn't have any problems riding around the Black Hills in/around Sturgis, Deadwood or Rapid City two up. Granted those aren't same altitude as Donner's Pass.

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 12-04-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2018 | 03:29 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

If you like to work on your bikes nothing wrong with carbed bikes. None of the 5 bikes at my house are FI. But they can become frustrating and adjusting them wrong can cause engine damage.

Noisey Cricket mentioned mountains. But that shouldn't be a problem in Northern MN. Just remember ethanol gas will clog up a sitting carb in a few months, Those long MN winters will be the bain of your existence. Before you put it away for the winter fill it up with non-ethanol gas and use some Stabil in it, preferably the Marine version of Stabil.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (12-19-2018)
Old 12-04-2018 | 03:36 PM
DivineRitual
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by VAFish
If you like to work on your bikes nothing wrong with carbed bikes. None of the 5 bikes at my house are FI. But they can become frustrating and adjusting them wrong can cause engine damage.

Noisey Cricket mentioned mountains. But that shouldn't be a problem in Northern MN. Just remember ethanol gas will clog up a sitting carb in a few months, Those long MN winters will be the bain of your existence. Before you put it away for the winter fill it up with non-ethanol gas and use some Stabil in it, preferably the Marine version of Stabil.
I live in Virginia Beach. I'll be riding throughout winter, since it rarely snows and only issue is just the cold. I cant wait 4 more months for "riding season!"

I want now season. Lol. No special put away for three month storage ... it's gonna be used every day.

Old 12-04-2018 | 04:56 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

No draw backs to a good carb. My S&S E carb gets 40 to 45 mpg and its hooked to an S&S 111. The mountains mean nothing to it. I virtual never touch the carb

Old 12-05-2018 | 10:14 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DivineRitual

I live in Virginia Beach. I'll be riding throughout winter, since it rarely snows and only issue is just the cold. I cant wait 4 more months for "riding season!"

I want now season. Lol. No special put away for three month storage ... it's gonna be used every day.
Sorry,

Looked at Noisey Cricket's location, not yours.

I'm a couple hours north of you and I ride year round too. Just don't ride when they spray that brine crap on the roads pre-treating for snow and ice. That stuff is nasty to aluminum and chrome on the bikes.

Mountains around here on the East Cost won't be an issue for carb tuning. If you are riding year round, just keep putting gas in it and ride, carb shouldn't be any extra maintenance over fuel injection.

Old 12-05-2018 | 10:29 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aces&8s
No draw backs to a good carb. My S&S E carb gets 40 to 45 mpg and its hooked to an S&S 111. The mountains mean nothing to it. I virtual never touch the carb
And thinking back it wasn't my 98 it was my 93 STS, so it was an EVO which was basically stock except for intake and pipes, so not a not of power anyway!

Old 12-05-2018 | 10:32 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by aces&8s
The way I see it the only downsides to a carb are if you are a manufacturer trying to meet tighter and tighter emissions regulations. That is much much easier to do with fuel injection. Also with modern fuels a carbed bike sitting for a few months or a year is much more likely to get the carb gummed up than a EFI system is. Pretty simple steps to prevent that from happening that too many people don't take. I've bought 5 carbureted bikes for next to nothing because the previous owners let them sit for a year or more without running. I've sold four of them for nice profits. The fifth one will probably be sold in the spring. So for someone who actually rides their motorcycle, there is no draw back to a good carb. For someone who doesn't ride their carbed bike it is a drawback for them, but a bonus for me.

For your average bike owner carbs and fuel injection serve the same purpose, to put the proper amount of fuel into the combustion chamber. If you change something on the bike like pipe, air cleaner, displacement, compression, ect.... you have to change the amount of fuel getting into the combustion chamber, with carbs you play with needles and jets, with EFI you play with computer maps. Same end result, different skill sets to get there.

Quick Reply: Tip's for 1st Cabureted Dyna?