Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Wheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Dyna Wheel Questions

So I scored this set of relatively unmolested low rider mags from a company parting out a salvaged 10k mile 2014 low rider. My plans are to pull the tires and bearings, coat the wheels gloss black, install fresh bearings and tires, and finish piecing together my dual disc conversion. Questions:
  1. What is the preferred method of coating wheels (powder coat or paint)? I read some people say that the heat from powder coating adversely affects the heat treat of the wheels, and I've seen others say that they don't get hot enough long enough to have a practical effect. I have several other parts I plan to powder coat so this is the route I'd like to go for matching color and convenience.
  2. If paint is the preferred route, what is the best method to get a long lasting finish? Do I need to strip the existing black paint? What's the best method for that? I've seen some people use self etching primers, some don't, some sand between coats, some don't, etc.
  3. What's the opinion on the Pit Posse VT102 bearing tool?
  4. Are the Timken's still the go to replacement bearing?
  5. I know you're supposed to install bearings primary side first. Is there a defined left/right for the front wheel?

Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I powder coated my fxdls wheels which are basically the same wheels but factory are powder coated an uglier shade. My buddy who did my wheels runs a body shop that specializes in custom paint and also does powder coating. He prefers doing powder on wheels due to the durability. If doing paint you would need a good high impact clear to hold up. We blasted to remove the powder that was on mine first although not sure it was necessary. I used the pit posse tool kit to remove the bearings. Worked dang good for the money. I do recommend freezing the bearings before install though to make things easier. Also on the front if yours is an abs bike the abs bearing goes in first. If not it is rotor side first but if you have dual disk I dont suppose it matters. Hopefully this answers your questions some. And lastly a before and after of what my wheels look like.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

Thanks for the fast response. Yours came out looking sharp. Being able to powder coat the wheels eliminates all the headache tied up in my second question. I was unaware the S wheels were powder coated OEM, I assumed they were painted.

Glad to hear the Pit Posse worked out for you.

Both my bike and the bike the wheels are from are non-ABS, so I'm not worried about that. Just need 2 good quality 6205-2rs bearings.

I've seen references before that on dual disc wheels, like the older 13 spokes, they would have casting letter/numbers on the primary side and nothing on the right hand which is why I raised the left right question. The wheels delivered while I'm out of town, so I'm relying on the pictures from my wife who doesn't know and doesn't care to examine them lol.

How is your powder coat job holding up? Anything you'd do differently?

Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Aluminum wheels are not heat treated. Powder won’t affect anything unless it’s sprayed in places it shouldn’t be.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rbdub474
Aluminum wheels are not heat treated. Powder won’t affect anything unless it’s sprayed in places it shouldn’t be.
Thanks, that's good to know. I was definitely planning on having the disc mounting surfaces, sprocket mounting face, and bearing pockets remain un-coated.

Last edited by Harleywashboy; 11-01-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleywashboy
So I scored this set of relatively unmolested low rider mags from a company parting out a salvaged 10k mile 2014 low rider. My plans are to pull the tires and bearings, coat the wheels gloss black, install fresh bearings and tires, and finish piecing together my dual disc conversion. Questions:
  1. What is the preferred method of coating wheels (powder coat or paint)? I read some people say that the heat from powder coating adversely affects the heat treat of the wheels, and I've seen others say that they don't get hot enough long enough to have a practical effect. I have several other parts I plan to powder coat so this is the route I'd like to go for matching color and convenience.
  2. If paint is the preferred route, what is the best method to get a long lasting finish? Do I need to strip the existing black paint? What's the best method for that? I've seen some people use self etching primers, some don't, some sand between coats, some don't, etc.
  3. What's the opinion on the Pit Posse VT102 bearing tool?
  4. Are the Timken's still the go to replacement bearing?
  5. I know you're supposed to install bearings primary side first. Is there a defined left/right for the front wheel?
I like the look of those wheels just the way they are! That's the kind of wheels I'd love to have on my bike.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
I like the look of those wheels just the way they are! That's the kind of wheels I'd love to have on my bike.
Ha, that's exactly what my wife said. I've been watching an outfit on facebook/ebay called AZ Cycle Parts for months. They've salvaged a few newer low riders, but this is the first one where the front wheel was salvageable, so I managed to get the set.

The plan is to build my 07 street bob into another one of those basic west coast themed dynas.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:17 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleywashboy
Thanks for the fast response. Yours came out looking sharp. Being able to powder coat the wheels eliminates all the headache tied up in my second question. I was unaware the S wheels were powder coated OEM, I assumed they were painted.

Glad to hear the Pit Posse worked out for you.

Both my bike and the bike the wheels are from are non-ABS, so I'm not worried about that. Just need 2 good quality 6205-2rs bearings.

I've seen references before that on dual disc wheels, like the older 13 spokes, they would have casting letter/numbers on the primary side and nothing on the right hand which is why I raised the left right question. The wheels delivered while I'm out of town, so I'm relying on the pictures from my wife who doesn't know and doesn't care to examine them lol.

How is your powder coat job holding up? Anything you'd do differently?
my coating is new only a few weeks old so only thing I'd do differently is do this front end swap at the same time rather than get bike together only to take right back apart lol.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

Those look cool....

Old 11-03-2018, 07:23 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser

Got home yesterday from working out of town. Flipped the front rim onto the other side and found some road rash. Wondering what the opinions are to fix it. YouTube is full of people who work from 180 grit to eventually wet sanding at 1000-2000. I'm less worried about the first picture. The second picture, its deep enough to get a fingernail in.

Quick Reply: Dyna Wheel Questions