Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should I ground the rear blinkers in 2010 FXDC with fender chop

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:37 AM
jac737
Road Captain
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Where should I ground the rear blinkers in 2010 FXDC with fender chop

I am not getting any responses in my other thread, but I can't edit that post to try and clarify. Hence, this thread (mods, feel free to close / delete my other thread about this issue).

The 2010 FXDC that I recently bought has a fender chop installed by the prior owner. He also eliminate the rear blinkers completely. I am not a big fan of riding without rear blinkers of some type, so I am trying to install some cheapo-small aftermarket rear blinkers until I can buy some billet blinkers.

Anyway, the real taillight / fender chop kit is hooked up via three wires from the harness that runs inside the top of the rear fender. This harness also has two wires for the blinkers (purple and brown, one for each side).

I have the new blinkers attacked to the correct wires for the power side. However, when I try to connect the new blinkers to the same ground used by the rear brake light, the blinkers give me a 4-way error activity when I try to use either blinker. If I run a separate ground wire from the blink to the front of the bike, the blinkers work fine.

I need to find a decent ground point for these blinkers somewhere practical. Does anyone have a recommendation? Am I missing something? I have the FSM with the wiring diagram, but that doesn't account for the rear fender chop kit / tail light.

Please see images below (NOTE: the wiring is ugly, and I will be cleaning this up AFTER I find a solution and the blinkers work. the prior owner liked to use lots of tape and the cylinder wire connectors.

Image below has a finger pointed at the ground wire coming FROM the rear light assembly into the wire harness.

Image below is a big-picture shot of what wires I have to work with under the fender.

Last edited by jac737; 10-29-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:16 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

The whole frame is ground. Any bolt/nut with clean metal (no paint!) will work. Might have to scrape off some paint, but the fender mounts should work fine. Maybe even the turn signal nuts I see there. Use a DVM to find a good candidate.

Don't know about a 2010 but on my 99 there is a nice ground stud under the seat. Pulling a new wire thru the existing loom routing shouldn't take much effort.

Last edited by cggorman; 10-29-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by jac737
I am not getting any responses in my other thread, but I can't edit that post to try and clarify. Hence, this thread (mods, feel free to close / delete my other thread about this issue).

The 2010 FXDC that I recently bought has a fender chop installed by the prior owner. He also eliminate the rear blinkers completely. I am not a big fan of riding without rear blinkers of some type, so I am trying to install some cheapo-small aftermarket rear blinkers until I can buy some billet blinkers.

Anyway, the real taillight / fender chop kit is hooked up via three wires from the harness that runs inside the top of the rear fender. This harness also has two wires for the blinkers (purple and brown, one for each side).

I have the new blinkers attacked to the correct wires for the power side. However, when I try to connect the new blinkers to the same ground used by the rear brake light, the blinkers give me a 4-way error activity when I try to use either blinker. If I run a separate ground wire from the blink to the front of the bike, the blinkers work fine.

I need to find a decent ground point for these blinkers somewhere practical. Does anyone have a recommendation? Am I missing something? I have the FSM with the wiring diagram, but that doesn't account for the rear fender chop kit / tail light.

Please see images below (NOTE: the wiring is ugly, and I will be cleaning this up AFTER I find a solution and the blinkers work. the prior owner liked to use lots of tape and the cylinder wire connectors.

Image below has a finger pointed at the ground wire coming FROM the rear light assembly into the wire harness.

Image below is a big-picture shot of what wires I have to work with under the fender.
What do you have that Blue wire connected to? That is supposed to be the running light activation for both rear blinkers if you are using two filament or parallel LED strings in the blinkers. I'm guessing your brake light is using it somehow by the pictures? Did the license plate wire just get removed?

Old 10-29-2018, 04:43 PM
jac737
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
What do you have that Blue wire connected to? That is supposed to be the running light activation for both rear blinkers if you are using two filament or parallel LED strings in the blinkers. I'm guessing your brake light is using it somehow by the pictures? Did the license plate wire just get removed?
The blue wire was already hooked to the rear light. There is another orange/white wire I’m the harness that is not connected to anything. There is not a license plate light hooked up on the bike.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:11 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

This is from a 2013. Might help. Blk is ground.

Last edited by joe40x; 10-29-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:08 PM
jac737
Road Captain

Thank you. The FSM for my bike shows the following diagram. The problem is that the prior owner didn’t preserve the blinker connectors or anything else back there. It’s simply the hard wires with barrel connectors from Lowes.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:42 AM
jac737
Road Captain

Update: I secured a ground each signal with a seperate frame bolt, but I have an issue when I try to activate one of the signals... specifically, the blinkers activate all four blinkers on the bike when I am only hit ONE of the blinker buttons. I. E. When I attempt to signal a left turn, all four blinkers begin flashing until I de-activate the blinker via switch.

If I unhook one of the rear blinkers, the remaining rear blinker and both front ones will function as intended. However, I cannot seem to get the back two hooked up simultaneously without running into this problems (all four blinkers flashing).

Old 10-30-2018, 05:32 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

Wire one turn signal at a time and test for function. This will tell you where the problem is.

Last edited by joe40x; 10-30-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Not awake yet
Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 AM
jac737
Road Captain

Originally Posted by joe40x
Wire one turn signal at a time and test for function. This will tell you where the problem is.
The problem is that each signal, wired alone, functions as it should. However, once both signals are attached, all four blinkers are turning when I try to activate either the right or left blinker.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Are you sure you are grounding the right leads? When two circuits interact unexpectedly it usually means the wires that need to be grounded are not really grounded. (Or they shouldn't be grounded. Is this bike a CAN Bus bike?)

Quick Reply: Where should I ground the rear blinkers in 2010 FXDC with fender chop