Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 stock superglide cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:47 PM
oldsoul
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 06 stock superglide cranks but wont start

So i have an 06 superglide and about a month back while riding home, i had my clutch pulled in coming up to stop light and the bike randomly died. I thought that was weird maybe my hand hit the kill switch so while still rolling up to the stop light i fired it up and went on my way. it happened one more time on the way home same situation, but i'm positive that i didn't hit the switch the second time. Each time it happened it fired up just fine. The morning following i tightened up the battery connections, checked all my fuses and put some dialectic grease on them, everything checked out fine. I rode a couple more times and everything seemed normal. fast forward to this morning i went out to start the bike up to ride to work. (finally had good weather here in Texas!) So the bike had sat for about two weeks without running. I put it on the trickle charger and its showing that the battery is good but still wont start. The bike will crank and crank and crank but it wont fire up. It doesn't seem to be a battery issue but i'm willing to bet its pretty old. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be before i tear into the bike tomorrow? Thanks for the help fellas.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Crankshaft position sensor? Check to see if you have spark. If it cranks over fine then the battery isn't the problem.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

Clean the IAC.......its in the throttle body at 12 oclock......use brake cleaner to spray in there while ignition is on and toggle the kill switch....put a shop rag in the throttle body to absorb the cleaner.......the rest will evaporate.

Another thing......when was the fuel filter replaced last?

Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 AM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Put a voltmeter onto the battery and then try to start. If the volts fall below 9, that battery is gonna need to be changed out. Have you tried starting it while still hooked up to the tender? I'd start there and then start exploring, so many options.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 AM
oldsoul
Intermediate

Okay thank you guys I will have to try it. I bought the bike about 7 months ago so I’m not sure when the fuel filter has been replaced.

i forgot to mention. When I went to start it yesterday it fired up and idled and just as soon as I got it backed down my drive way it died. (About 20 seconds after start. Full tank of gas

Last edited by oldsoul; 10-22-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 AM
oldsoul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kcfocust
Put a voltmeter onto the battery and then try to start. If the volts fall below 9, that battery is gonna need to be changed out. Have you tried starting it while still hooked up to the tender? I'd start there and then start exploring, so many options.
i did try and start it on the tender same results. I just checked all the fuses, all seem good. The battery is reading 12.22v when sitting. I’ll probably go get it checked at auto zone and pick up some brake cleaner to clean the intake out. I pulled the plugs,they are wet but pretty blackened.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsoul
I pulled the plugs,they are wet but pretty blackened.
That points toward an ignition problem.

Like I said before, if the engine spins over good then you don't have a battery problem. These engines are not easy to turn over and a weak battery will show its stripes. That said, 12.2 volts resting is not all that impressive. However, once it starts the charging system should take over and a weak battery will not cause it to die.

Last edited by John CC; 10-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Don't use brake cleaner on your intake. Either throttle body cleaner or MAF cleaner.
Also check for any holes in the internal fuel line inside the tank.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:02 PM
oldsoul
Intermediate

Well since today is my day off I’ve been working on it. I changed the battery out anyways cause autozone load tested it and said it was no good. Did some research on the IAC and found some posts that sounded just like mine so I picked up some carb cleaner and started working on cleaning that up. Got it nice and clean, it started up, kind of roughly then died out about three seconds after starting. Not really sure what’s going on. How do I check the internal lines in the gas tank?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

With a low amount of gas in the tank, ideally less than half a tank, remove the cap. Turn on the ignition and move the kill switch to run. If there is a hole you can usually hear it spraying against the side of the tank, or you might even be able to see it.
A fuel pressure test is the best way to do it, but without a tester this will often work.

Quick Reply: 06 stock superglide cranks but wont start