Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random slow start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 114 Posts

Next thing I would do is clean every electrical connector related to battery and grounds with fine grit sand paper even though they may look good and are tight. It sounds like you have something causing excessive load. During cold weather metal parts shrink and it may be just enough that a suspect connector somewhere is making a poor connection.
'
Check and repair both ends of the cables and any related cables/wires that require a screw/bolt/nut for connection.

Last edited by Rustyg500; 10-13-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,980 Likes on 7,619 Posts

Does your bike have automatic compression releases? If so they may not be functioning correctly.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:35 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

After a week it hasn't done it since being serviced.

My best guess is it was do to a connection at the battery terminal. Things were tight but that doesnt always mean it was making a good connection.

Just thought I would update this if anyone has this problem in the future. Thanks for the help guys.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Indyhawgrider
Cruiser
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a similar situation....ended up being the negative power cable was just a tad loose...melted the lug on the battery before I figured it out....some blue loctite on a dyna's battery terminals is your friend!

ABQ-Jammer (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:09 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,740 Likes on 3,105 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
Hmm, might be doing that. My commute isn't too long though I do go for a ride for a couple hours on the weekend. Just seems odd that it would suddenly start to do it, unless the battery was starting to go. Might be a combination too of it being a little colder.

Guess 2 years is the norm for these batteries? They go quick or do I have some time?
If you rely on this bike as your transportation, then I would say "replace the battery at the first sign of deterioration." (Which you now have.)
www.batterymart.com

CaptainAwesome (10-26-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

I've been having an intermittent "slow start" on my '13 FXDC, where the initial crank over was slow, but then the rest is back to normal. When this happens, the LCD on the dash changes from the Tach to the Odometer. I can switch it back, but not sure if my battery is getting low, and that's what's causing this, or what. If so, I can put my Battery Tender on it, but I don't normally, since I ride it every day, although my commute is only about 10-15 minutes each way. Is that part of the problem? That it's not getting enough charge to fully replenish the battery? If so, I guess I'll have to start putting it on the tender at night, at least once a week, or go for longer ride every weekend.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 808 Posts

One thing I read about a year ago, is that our bikes take a bit more omph to get cranked over due to the the bigger bore and that others have used thicker battery cables to good effect.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,974 Likes on 4,166 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
I've been having an intermittent "slow start" on my '13 FXDC, where the initial crank over was slow, but then the rest is back to normal. When this happens, the LCD on the dash changes from the Tach to the Odometer. I can switch it back, but not sure if my battery is getting low, and that's what's causing this, or what. If so, I can put my Battery Tender on it, but I don't normally, since I ride it every day, although my commute is only about 10-15 minutes each way. Is that part of the problem? That it's not getting enough charge to fully replenish the battery? If so, I guess I'll have to start putting it on the tender at night, at least once a week, or go for longer ride every weekend.
Just my opinion that is enough to keep it charged. Put your voltage meter on the charger connections when you crank. If it drops much below 9.5 volts, your amperage on the battery is going south.. Probably need a battery. It will always get you a start coming off charger. Where it is going to die is when you are 10 miles from home and it sits a while.
Bet that low voltage at cranking is like flipping switches. It's not good on electronics.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
ABQ-Jammer (10-22-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 06:06 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

Ok.... so anyone have any idea on the effects of barometric pressure on starting? I figure if the ACR's are meant to release some of the internal pressure to help it start (manual says 103s and 110s have it), that pressure has to have some sort of effect when it comes time to crank it.

I should note that I am currently in a geographical location that has very extreme pressure swings. Even called the Convergent Zone. The reason I'm wondering on it is it all started when a big weather change hit, the first of the season. Last year I didn't commute on my bike as much in the crappier weather. I'll check the local forum area and see if anyone else has the problem.

It did it again yesterday but yesterday we had a very major barometric change. Enough where it gave me a headache all day, then a massive headache by lunch, and I don't get headaches, basically ever. (A family member of mine got it too from the change).

But this morning, or yesterday when I stopped for gas, started within a second or two like it was new.

I'm not sure if the ACR's have anything do with it as I don't know much about them, or if it's just something to be expected from a big Harley engine. If it doesn't change it doesn't bother me, what I'm concerned about is it being a sign that something that could be covered by warranty is about to go out about 5 weeks before the end of my warranty. When I took it to the dealer they couldn't find anything (was nice weather). Been trying to get a video of it but no luck thus far. The barometric pressure change seems to be the only common ground.

I do have a Volomod on the bike, it flashes a 3rd brake light when stopped or stopping, but is otherwise off. Runs off the wires to a tail light. Been using it for years and on 2 other bikes. Think it's been on this bike for most of this year. Don't think it's the cause but I don't know how sensitive the ECU is and if something might be back tracking when I try to start... but again, it only started happening when the season changed, and not in the spring or anything.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:45 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
Ok.... so anyone have any idea on the effects of barometric pressure on starting?
I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that the pressure swings you experience from weather at a particular distance above sea level aren't any bigger than the swing from sea level to 5000 feet, so, if you can start at those two altitudes (LA and Denver, for example) then it shouldn't be causing you any problems.

Last edited by John CC; 10-26-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Random slow start?