Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No mso on with my frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:31 AM
Shotoutjimbo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No mso on with my frame

Ok, so I bought a 96 custom dyna dts conv, and it's on a hardtail frame and I didn't know much about vin numbers etc. I registered it just like it was explained to me, a 96 dyna. Anyway, the motor blew and I ordered an s&s while I rebuild the dyna. So now I have a title to a dyna, a frame with only a dot sticker with my engine vin on it and an s&s motor....I have a LOT of money in this bike and I'll be in debt a couple years over this, but how can I make this happen? I don't know if i could even find the guy I bought it from. HELP PLEASE

Old 10-04-2018, 07:15 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm just now learning these things myself. Wish I had researched the requirements long ago as I also have missing paperwork.

I don't have any answers yet but I sympathize.

Just a thought, but if you know the frame manufacturer, they may be able to supply a new MSO. I'd give them a call.

Last edited by cggorman; 10-04-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Since 1970, Harley's are titled and registered according to the VIN stamped on the frame. IE you could change the motor in the event of cracked cases and retain your title.

The correct titling for your bike, absent the original frame, would be for a 19XX or 20XX custom build for the year the custom bike was first completed and registered/titled. In order to get that titled and registered, you would need to prove ownership of the frame (the MSO) and depending on the location, proof of purchase for a certain % or specific parts on the bike (the engine for example).

If the guy you bought it from did all that already, then there should've been a title handoff if it was a title state. Some states, like georgia only require a registration if the bike is a certain age limit. In which case you would've signed over the registration.

If he didn't do that, you will need to secure the MSO for that frame. There should be a serial number stamped on it somewhere. Check the neck and foot mount areas. You can try calling in with the information to the frame manufacturer to see if they have the records for it. You would still need to provide proof of purchase for major components. And probably an inspection for road law compliance and document review with your local state troopers office.

Edit: the original HD dyna title would have become invalid for the bike when the frame changed. The title goes with the original frame for 1970+. 1969 and earlier were titled to the motor.

Last edited by Harleywashboy; 10-04-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:57 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotoutjimbo
Ok, so I bought a 96 custom dyna dts conv, and it's on a hardtail frame and I didn't know much about vin numbers etc. I registered it just like it was explained to me, a 96 dyna. Anyway, the motor blew and I ordered an s&s while I rebuild the dyna. So now I have a title to a dyna, a frame with only a dot sticker with my engine vin on it and an s&s motor....I have a LOT of money in this bike and I'll be in debt a couple years over this, but how can I make this happen? I don't know if i could even find the guy I bought it from. HELP PLEASE
Try and rewrite this to be better explained. I can help you specifically with this as I have built several bikes and know the titling process in Florida. But, I can't understand what you are asking.