Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick for anyone who may use an R&R Cycles intake...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts
Default Quick for anyone who may use an R&R Cycles intake...

A few weeks ago I got an R&R Cycles Overflow air cleaner setup for my Mikuni. I have it installed, and I've taken a few short rides with it. The instructions say "Synthamax air filters should not be oiled," but it's a little vague... It doesn't say whether they only use Synthmax filters, or whether some kits do and some don't... I've been meaning to call them for clarification, but it slipped my mind and I'm planning on riding a couple hundred miles on Sunday. I would like to properly oil it first, if needed...

The filter has no brand name whatsoever, and nothing to identify it at all. I've looked on the Air Raid site who makes Synthamax, but they don't show a filter that is a similar size (and they also make "Synthaflow" which do require oiling).

If anyone has used an R&R kit, can you shed any light? Thanks!

Old 09-28-2018, 07:16 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I believe mine came pre oiled. After I clean it I oil it. When I washed it it was No longer red so I assume oil is needed. For what its worth there is never any residue in the tbody.

Last edited by cdonis; 09-28-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:13 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

Its a k&n filter that is made for that air cleaner. It's hat color because it gets oiled.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:16 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdonis
I believe mine came pre oiled. After I clean it I oil it. When I washed it it was No longer red so I assume oil is needed. For what its worth there is never any residue in the tbody.
Thanks for the response. I wouldn't call it "pre-oiled," as it seems completely dry. The filter element itself is a pale pinkish red... Here's where it seems vague in the instructions:

Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Its a k&n filter that is made for that air cleaner. It's hat color because it gets oiled.
I know it looks like that in the picture, but I've had a gazillion K&N filters, and this is definitely a different filter element material... It's construction is actually very similar in appearance to the images on the SynthaMax website, which don't get oiled. That's why I'm not sure... I'll call them on Monday, I just have to decide what to do with it on Sunday...

Maybe I'll just see whether my old filter fits on this backing plate for a day.

Last edited by F86; 09-28-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:15 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I just spoke with R&R...

Here's the confusion... They used to use these, which never get oiled (SynthaMax):

But they have used these, which do get oiled (SynthaFlow):

The guy on the phone couldn't really say whether they use SynthaMax or SynthaFlow. He did confirm that the filter is made by Air Raid (who makes both of them and has now been purchased by K&N). He said the filter is preoiled, should not be oiled prior to use but should be oiled after cleaning, and that I should ignore this portion of the instructions:

Thanks cdonis and Jason for your input!

Old 09-29-2018, 09:40 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

T, did you happen to get any pics of how the backing plate seals on the Mikuni throat? How is the inside (air path) transition between the two?

I'm also curious about the overall mounting and breather system.

It's heartening to see a Mikuni air cleaner that doesn't seem to use that stupid adapter ring. Maybe someday they'll design a "Heavy Breather" style. The flat filters don't work well for me.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:26 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
T, did you happen to get any pics of how the backing plate seals on the Mikuni throat? How is the inside (air path) transition between the two?

I'm also curious about the overall mounting and breather system.

It's heartening to see a Mikuni air cleaner that doesn't seem to use that stupid adapter ring. Maybe someday they'll design a "Heavy Breather" style. The flat filters don't work well for me.
Yes, I've been meaning to do a write-up for a couple of weeks... I'll do so tonight!

Short version: The breather setup allows a decent level of flexibility in terms of setup, the mounting flange definitely looks better than using the adapter from a flow standpoint, but not entirely seamless. I'll post pictures and more detail later, after I'm home from work!

Old 09-29-2018, 11:28 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Looking forward to it but no rush. Take care of yourself first! Thanks!

Old 09-29-2018, 12:27 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
This ^ K&N has a cleaning kit with oil.Can be found at Autozone.

Quick Reply: Quick for anyone who may use an R&R Cycles intake...