Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another forwards to mids. But a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 02:49 PM
SkurtBob92
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another forwards to mids. But a little different.

Hey all! Just got my bike back together (street bob 2007) and just love it. I love how it rides and handles and it just looks awesome too. However my back is killing after riding. Just wondering, has anyone switched from forwards to mids and been more comfortable as far as the back goes? I’ve ridden a street glide as well as my street bob with forwards and after about 45 min my back is absolutely killing. That’s the only common thing I can think of. Ideally I could ride a bike with mids and see how it goes. However I don’t have access to one. I have 10” t bars right now. I’m 6ft. I don’t know I just don’t feel comfortable or natural with my feet that far in front of me. also my solo street bob seat has me sliding around all over the place. And I feel like I’m sitting in the seat rather than

on it. Any input or stories would be great. Thanks all.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,021 Likes on 9,230 Posts

Keep forward controls , Put pegs where the mids were before switching to forwards. Use mid pegs on open highway.
Did it to my Wide Glide but took them off. I like my forwards.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

If I were you, I'd change the seat first and see if it helps. That stock solo is TERRIBLE, especially when you throw on a new technology seat like a Le Pera or Saddlemen and see the world of difference it makes. Most of the new seats on the market will also move you forward anywhere from 1-2 inches.

I'm 5'9 and used to run forwards, changing the seat really helped. Rode with forwards for a few years. But yes I did eventually switch to further-forward mids and I don't miss the forwards at all.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:04 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SkurtBob92
Hey all! Just got my bike back together (street bob 2007) and just love it. I love how it rides and handles and it just looks awesome too. However my back is killing after riding. Just wondering, has anyone switched from forwards to mids and been more comfortable as far as the back goes? I’ve ridden a street glide as well as my street bob with forwards and after about 45 min my back is absolutely killing. That’s the only common thing I can think of. Ideally I could ride a bike with mids and see how it goes. However I don’t have access to one. I have 10” t bars right now. I’m 6ft. I don’t know I just don’t feel comfortable or natural with my feet that far in front of me. also my solo street bob seat has me sliding around all over the place. And I feel like I’m sitting in the seat rather than

on it. Any input or stories would be great. Thanks all.
You're right- those ergonomics would not be comfortable or natural. From looking at that, I can totally understand how painful that must be for you.

Your feet need to be under you, if you're going to be able to control the distribution of your body weight. And because the seat is so low, you're probably going to have to raise the seat quite a bit. Those handlebars are way too high too. Clip-ons, or a clubman type handlebar would get them down to a more comfortable position.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:20 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

Get mid controls for riding and some highway pegs up front so you can stretch out when cruising

Old 09-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 865 Posts

I'd bet those handlebars have more to do with your back issue than the forwards to. You're leaning just a bit forward to reach them. If they were back a few inches, your back would be more upright with less stress.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:48 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

6'2" big guy here - went from forwards to further-forward mids when I traded my old wide glide in on a new low rider - those combined with my bar setup (14" lucky dave's) and I would never go back to forwards, even with my bad knees I can comfortably do OC to Vegas (5hr trip) with only gas stops very comfortably. I would say get a better seat, and if you want mids go with the further forward mids. It's a great setup, IMO.

Last edited by DynaKid94; 09-10-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

+1 on the seat change...do that first. Saddlemen are great but any modern seat with good back support is what you need.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:38 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

You definately need your feet beneath you for a 'proper' riding position. As was said above feet in their natural position will relieve the strain on your back. personally I see nothing wrong with the bars, you're only 1" higher than my 'T's...b.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Andrew4566
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you considered Switchback floor boards?

-Andy

Quick Reply: Another forwards to mids. But a little different.