Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another no spark thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 PM
VanHalen
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another no spark thread

2000 Superglide fxdx.....I was riding down the road and heard a Loud pop like a backfire and the bike went black....no lights no nothing. The loud pop was my battery top blowing off. After tow home I am now troubleshooing no spark. New battery, verified coil was good using ohm meter and physically putting power to positive and using ground to trigger coil to fire, replaced crankshaft position sensor. Trailered bike to dealership and they were nice enough to connect their diagnostic tool to port near fuses which came back that it can't communicate with the on off switch. Based on the wiring diagram it seems as though a black and white wire is the only wire that leads from the on/off switch to the ignition module and that wire has 12 v flowing through it where it connects to the ignition module. I don't see any other wire to check. Now the crank position sensor is New and the signal from that goes into the ignition module and then out to the coil to trigger it to fire. Question is my logic sound in thinking if I know that crank position sensor is working and know the coil is good that the problem must be the ignition module. I'm reluctant to spend the quoted $300+ for that part if there is something else I could check out first. 3 parts. Crankshaft position sensor to electronic ignition module to coil.....I know the ignition is getting power and signal from crank sensor......and I know the coil is good....so it must be the ignition....RIGHT?????? The theme for my last 4 days has been "you gon learn today son"

Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I highly recommend a copy of the Factory Service Manual as it has the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting sequences for testing various electrical componenets.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:09 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Old 09-06-2018, 01:00 AM
VanHalen
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.....I had already found those diagrams and they are what I used to com to my conclusion. The gizmo that the dealership plugged into my bike to diagnose any problems said it could not communicate with the on off switch on my bike.....funny/really f-ing annoying because the power that was supplied to the gizmo that it uses to power on comes from GUESS WHERE the only wire on the on off switch which is a 12v lead......so despite getting the power it needs to even turn on which it gets from the "on off switch" 12v lead the gizmo says it can't communicate with the on off switch. Really no really well how the f#%$ did it power on then.........now if I were in that situation I could not let it go without talking to tech support from the gizmo company. I certainly would not throw my hands in the air and say.....sorry buddy I know my profession is repairing high dollar motorcycles but I don't know what to tell you. K see ya, thanks for trailering your bike all the way down here and wasting half a day.....k bye

Old 09-06-2018, 02:21 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member