Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 10:58 AM
ZachGrove1
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Fuel Question

Hello All!

Was out riding my 05' FXDI Super Glide over the weekend, and believe I picked up some bad fuel at a country gas station. I was out with my father-in-law and was having a great ride, until I filled up. Basically, after I filled up the bike would fire and run decent for about a minute or two, and then die.

After barely making it to an Autozone down the street from where I filled up (initially I though I had something plugging the fuel line and was looking to borrow some tools, but after talking with the counter rep at the Autozone in the same little town I filled up mentioned there was bad gas going around, which made sense). I purchased a bottle of Heet (red, fuel injector cleaner option) and threw the whole bottle in the tank (had about 2 gallons in the tank at this point - bottle treats up to 20 gallons). I waited about 15min, rocking the bike every few minutes before running down to the other gas station in the town and filled up the tank with 91 premium.

After waiting a bit longer for the Heet chemical reaction to start taking place, I was able to keep the bike running long enough to make it the 45min ride home. 24hrs later, with the same fuel in the tank, I took the bike for a ride and it ran decent. There was a little sluggishness on the top end, but otherwise no issues.

I have a few questions, since I'm pretty sure it's bad fuel, a lot of factors are lining up pointing to that as the culprit:

1.) Should I drain the fuel or run the rest of it through the bike?

2.) Would there be any major issues with putting the whole bottle of Heet in the tank? The counter guy said it would be fine...but he also told me water sits on top of gas...which is a real confidence booster.

3.) If for some reason, bad gas might not be the issue - I'm very interested in hearing opinions!

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-27-2018, 11:42 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

If it was me, I would drain it and start over. Never used Heet but I always follow the directions on the package of whatever I put in the tank, forget what the guy who sells it says.
Check your plugs to see if anything looks not normal.
With fresh gas, if it still doesn't run right you can look at a dirty fuel filter or sediment in the tank, among others.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,756 Likes on 2,529 Posts

I thought Heet was primarily an agent to dry the water up in gas, alcohol. You already have 10% ethanol in the gas. Drain/siphon that old gas out. Put in some top tier premium gas. Also check the vent in the gas cap for any spiders/clogs.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:07 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,732 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachGrove1
:

1.) Should I drain the fuel or run the rest of it through the bike?
I'd drain it and fill up with fuel from another station (Chevron or Shell only.)

2.) Would there be any major issues with putting the whole bottle of Heet in the tank? The counter guy said it would be fine...but he also told me water sits on top of gas...which is a real confidence booster.
I'd follow the directions. And the "counter guy" does not know that fuel floats ON TOP OF water. Think of an "oil slick" they FLOAT. Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon, and gas weighs 6.6 lbs per gallon.

3.) If for some reason, bad gas might not be the issue - I'm very interested in hearing opinions!
Not impossible to get "bad gas." Now, whether you picked up water or dirt or something else, that remains to be seen.

Thanks in advance!
Hey, this is why we're here. (Although some opinions do smell like your "counter guy.")

Don't rely on snake oil to fix your problem. Get into your bike and see what's what.