Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery draining

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018 | 09:15 AM
Tbar907
|
Stage I
Default battery draining

I have a 2016 Dyna Street bob FXDB. Every time I transport my bike in a trailer at destination my battery is always dead. I boost it and take it for a ride and its good to go. I always hang the the key fob on the brake cable during transporting it. I bought a new battery same issue. I changed battery in key fob same issue.

Old 08-23-2018 | 10:45 AM
gleam
Tourer

Sounds like the alarm system is draining the battery in transit, because all that motion is activating it constantly. You can set the system to 'transport mode', as documented in the owner's manual. This is from mine, I'm guessing it's the same but I don't know that for sure. I'm not a fan of saying 'you should', but you should get that manual.

Originally Posted by 2011 FXDF Owner's Manual

Transport Mode

It is possible to arm the security system without enabling the motion detector for one ignition cycle. This allows the vehicle to be picked up and moved in an armed state, however, any attempt to start the engine when the key fob is not within range will trigger the alarm.

To Enter Transport Mode
1. Turn the ignition switch to IGN.
2. Set the engine stop switch to OFF.
3. With an assigned fob within range, turn the ignition switch from IGN to ACC.
4. Simultaneously press both the left and the right turn signal switches. This must be done within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to ACC.
5. After the turn signals flash once, turn the ignition switch to OFF and the module is armed.
6. Confirmation: Turn signal blinks three times when armed for one ignition cycle.
To Exit Transport Mode

Return the system to normal operation:
With the fob present, turn the ignition switch to IGN to disarm the system. To cancel the transport mode, set the engine stop switch to RUN.

Old 08-23-2018 | 11:00 AM
crusader1xxx
Road Master

What he said. You have something that is draining the battery, and if you have the security alarm system more then likely thats it....

https://dgcustomcycle.com/tech/diagn...ging-problems/
"Milliamp Draw Test
If your voltage output test passes but your battery still goes dead, there is a good chance that there is a draw somewhere in motorcycle. Disconnect the negative battery cable and connect your multi-meter in series from the cable to the battery negative. With the bike off, set the meter to mille Amps. Readings will vary from bike to bike depending on how many accessories it has. Generally you need to be concerned if your bike has a draw of more than 10.0mA. The easiest way to find a draw is to unplug each accessory one at a time and redo the test until you noticed a significant drop."

Old 08-23-2018 | 12:45 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome to the site.

Old 08-23-2018 | 12:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

If you first hook up a battery, you see and hear that pretty good draw as all fires up. Then in a minute or so, it drops back to 100 miliamp or older bikes to 150. However, transportation bouncing keeps it fired to that spark producing load. Your answer is post two or unhook the battery . And welcome from Hampton Roads VA

Old 08-23-2018 | 01:09 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

Hanging the FOB on the bike helps, but it won't keep the security system from draining the battery while towing. This is because every time there is a bump, the security system will send a request to see if the FOB is in range. When the FOB answers yes, the security system disarms for a minute or so, then re-mars, and the whole thing starts again. Basically, hanging your FOB on the bike will delay the battery drain a bit while trailering, but won't remove it. Put the bike in transport mode when you transport.