Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mikuni Venting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:59 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts
Default Mikuni Venting Issue

My Mikuni HSR42 has started dropping some fuel out of the vent line. It's very consistent in its behavior... It's completely dry when the engine is running. It drips about two or three tablespoons of fuel at a fairly quick pace after the engine is shut off (provided it ran long enough to be fully warm). It doesn't start right away. After shutting the bike off and having it on the side stand it takes about three minutes before it starts. Then a steady drip of fuel begins out of the vent house which lasts for a minute or two, then it's done. It seems to be related to heat-induced pressure, as it only happens if I close the petcock as soon as I shut off the engine. If I leave the petcock open, no drip. I can close it ten minutes later and nothing drips. It seems like engine heat is causing fuel in the bowl to expand. If it can't expand up the fuel line (due to a closed petcock), it finds the vent line. I first noticed this about a week before recent dyno tuning, during which the needle was replaced. The drip behaves exactly the same since tuning as it did before, leading me to think it isn't needle-related, nor related to anything done during tuning. Float too high? Maybe it's related to the fact that every ride I've taken in the last month has been in 98 degree weather? I've also noticed a reduction in fuel economy lately, but that may be due to a larger main jet recently...

Other than the float level, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM
roadmutt
Tourer
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Any changes in fuel? Try a different brand, or better still av gas if you can get it. If you made no changes to account for this, it could be a formulation change. They dick around with gas all the time.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Your analysis is right on. I would drop the float level a bit.
had to do the same when I was dialing in the mikuni on my 124

Last edited by fxdlx; 08-14-2018 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F86 (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:07 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'd order a new float and check/adjust the level while replacing. They're cheap and you gotta open it up either way. Just be careful removing the pin. If that's too risky, just adjust the level.

That may also force a minor tune adjustment. Often, a lower fuel level in the bowl will result in a leaner mixture.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Scarydog
Tourer
Received 212 Likes on 93 Posts

I have the same issue. I stop it from happening by leaving the petcock open when I park it or by closing the petcock on the last block be for parking in the garage. Checked and adjusted the float but it still happens.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I know you said the needle was replaced, but if the adjusting the float doesn't work, you might need to double check the needle isn't at fault. Once the fuel hits the vent line, gravity will siphon everything out up to the petcock. I'd lean towards the float first.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank everyone. I took Chris's advice and just ordered a new float from Jets R Us, as well as a float pin. I'll check out the needle as well. I'll measure the existing float adjustment before taking it out, and will probably try the new part with the same adjustment initially (unless something seems instantly screwy - I don't really want to lean out my mixture if I don't have to)... Maybe it's set to the right height but is hanging up somewhere...

Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

It might be the temp. I filled my tank to the rim in 104F and minutes later I had gas running out the vent. Gas expands much more dramatically than water.

So, if you float bowel is full with gas that was much cooler in the tank and is allowed to warm up to ambient, it could dribble out. Now if it keeps dribbling, you need to check your peacock. It should stay shut while there is no vacuum but if you are losing more than a bowel full, I'd look there also.

But as others have said, replacing a float is pretty trivial.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:51 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
Now if it keeps dribbling, you need to check your peacock. It should stay shut while there is no vacuum but if you are losing more than a bowel full, I'd look there also.
...and that's exactly why I have a Pingel instead of that vacuum thing! And for the higher flow capability...

But it is true that I've only noticed this issue while it's been really hot... I'll check on the effect of cooler weather... If it cools down in the next decade...

Old 08-28-2018, 04:38 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Well... I replaced the float and the pin, but the issue is unchanged. I just ordered a new needle valve. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try float height at 19 or 20mm... I measured the old float before removing it, 18mm (which is what's called for). The new float right out of the box was also 18mm. The manual does say +/- 2mm...

Quick Reply: Mikuni Venting Issue