Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXR performance possibilites vs newer Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:56 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,742 Likes on 3,105 Posts

OP~ Since your criteria is canyon carving, just about everything on a Harley would need to be upgraded. Including the frame. You'd almost need to start with a clean sheet of paper, designing a frame with the correct attributes for higher speed handling. Suspension alone isn't going to do it. If you must stay with a Harley powerplant, then your choice is Buell. The Buell frame is much stiffer than the pos HD frames. (Yes, including the vaulted FXR frame.)
As far as upgrading the engine...it can be done but reliability may suffer. It might be best to go with an engine that was designed from it's inception to be a performance engine. Think Aprilia or Ducati here. Out of the box, these have double/triple the power of a Harley engine. And, they sound better than any current HD.

Good luck with whatever you do, and ride safe!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
OP~ Since your criteria is canyon carving, just about everything on a Harley would need to be upgraded. Including the frame. You'd almost need to start with a clean sheet of paper, designing a frame with the correct attributes for higher speed handling. Suspension alone isn't going to do it. If you must stay with a Harley powerplant, then your choice is Buell. The Buell frame is much stiffer than the pos HD frames. (Yes, including the vaulted FXR frame.)
As far as upgrading the engine...it can be done but reliability may suffer. It might be best to go with an engine that was designed from it's inception to be a performance engine. Think Aprilia or Ducati here. Out of the box, these have double/triple the power of a Harley engine. And, they sound better than any current HD.

Good luck with whatever you do, and ride safe!
I think everyone knows that there are better handling bikes than HD’s, but since this is a Harley forum I would imagine the OP is interested in building a Harley Davidson.

The following 6 users liked this post by rideon:
Durham man (08-15-2018), fxdlx (08-14-2018), Greezey Rider (07-03-2019), Lakerat (08-14-2018), Mchad (08-14-2018), Zakk13 (12-06-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 AM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

you can get a buell if you want to feel like you are riding on a top. i have had 3 buell's. my dyna out handles them all and runs cooler.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:32 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Agree. My FXR (cam, pipe, dyno tune, suspension) is plenty fast. However it is not as fast as my LRS (pipe, tune and suspension). The FXR is lighter and handles so much better which makes it more fun to ride.

They both have similar suspension setups: Same rear Ohlins shocks, same fork braces, same tires, the dyna has Ohlins NIX22 fork carts and the FXR has Racetech springs and emulators. Naturally the dyna has 49mm forks, vs. 39mm on the FXR which I was worried about when I first got it, but honestly, I can’t feel a difference. I think the superbrace has a lot to do with that. The Ohlins carts are smoother and more refined, but from a strictly handling point of view, I don’t see much difference. But I’m a barbarian, so what do I know...

But really, whichever bike I’m riding is my favorite at that moment...

This?

Or this.
I can’t really say...

Interesting how you have your clutch cable routed. I may have to try that.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
Oh yeah, look at that... Something along those lines may work for me as well...

Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
Originally Posted by F86
Oh yeah, look at that... Something along those lines may work for me as well...
Yeah I did that because I was too lazy to install a longer cable when I put my bars on. The clutch got a little tight on full right. This way there’s plenty of slack. Just come up the right frame rail and over the top of the steering head. You can use fancy clamps like I did or the same factory ones as were on the left side.

Did the same on my FXR.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fxrnutt
A well built FXR is almost impossible to beat.... suspension 1st .... power 2nd
100% agree. Night and day difference in handling between FXR and Dyna. If you want a canyon carver, get an FXR and fine-tune the suspension first. On a Dyna, it’s more like a suspension overhaul, and it still won’t be as good as an FXR. (Speaking from experience, ‘85 FXRT vs ‘13 FXDWG.)

Old 08-15-2018, 09:16 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I felt the same as the OP. I plan on sticking with my 117” LRS strictly for reliability. A FXR handles better by everyone’s account, but my riding time is limited at this stage of my life, and I would rather be riding than wrenching.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 808 Posts

Everyone is rooting for their team depending on which side of the fence they're on, myself included. Here's a thought, why not keep your current bike and pick up a cheap sport/sport touring bike? You'll get the carving you want, newer and lower miles, and save a lot of money.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Everyone is rooting for their team depending on which side of the fence they're on, myself included. Here's a thought, why not keep your current bike and pick up a cheap sport/sport touring bike? You'll get the carving you want, newer and lower miles, and save a lot of money.
Well, maybe not everyone...

Quick Reply: FXR performance possibilites vs newer Dyna