Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FXDF project

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018 | 08:06 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I don't recall if you ever mentioned your front mount, but did you take it loose to see if you could jimmy the drivetrain up and forward a bit?

It probably goes without saying but installing the mounts does require the use of a jack under the draivetrain to support the weight and adjust height.

Old 12-31-2018 | 01:12 PM
Shop rag
|
Advanced

Yes, front motor mount and top link was disconnected. Engine supported independently from frame. This morning in 5 min. with just a bit of pry bar in she went. Damn shop gremlins Ran out of time to finish my list today but will get back on in by end of the week.

The following users liked this post:
Kevin R (12-31-2018)
Old 01-05-2019 | 06:32 PM
Shop rag
|
Advanced

Finished up the bike today. In addition to my list I found a nice adjustable link from another project so I replaced the factory top link. Got everything lined up and rode her home. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 deg. here so I am planning to put on some miles.
In the 15 miles home I noticed the bike felt stiff and had more buzz in the mirrors. I was expecting a break in period on the new rear mount so we will see if this changes with some ride time. I did reinstall the Sputhe stabilizer and had no issues with it working in conjunction with the CCE mount. I did have to reuse the bolts that came with the Sputhe mount as the CCE bolts were a different thread.

Old 01-07-2019 | 05:59 AM
Shop rag
|
Advanced

Put 115 miles on the bike yesterday, half being two up. Bike feels better after hammering on it a bit. Vibrations are felt and seen more in the bars and mirrors now. The bike definitely has less vibrations two up ( combined weight of 310 ). Hard to pass judgement without more miles and going back to check alignment once I think mount has settled down.
Zero stability issues overall. If anything the rear is very much planted and I now need to do the forks,motor and brakes! oh and a sissy bar for the wife!!

The following users liked this post:
Kevin R (01-07-2019)
Old 01-12-2019 | 02:23 PM
Shop rag
|
Advanced

Got a few hundred miles on the new rear mount. Checked alignment today and all is well. I'm sure the new mount has some more break in to go but I don't think the vibrations will get much better. It's very rideable just buzzy like many of the TC Dyna's. Although, we just had a 1997 FXDL in for some carb tuning and service. Has 10K original miles on it and that ole Evo is smooth as silk. Virtually no vibrations and handles very well. It would make you re-think a TC dyna.
Anyway, I think the next step in getting my Bob right will be having the crank worked as I build the motor up. OveralI like the feel of the CCE rear mount. Anyone thinking about going this route should be prepared for a different feel and some "new" vibrations.

Old 01-12-2019 | 03:01 PM
sparkalot
Road Warrior

You're are approaching wild beast mode with that bike !!, Once you get in some motor building , it is going to be a screamer!!. You mentioned size 12 boot a while back, my clumsy size 15 boot needed a large landing pad . I used mini floor boards and extended the brake pedal pad witha kit.. Before I installed the K&N instake, I didn't think about the offset, but the oversized pedal combination works just fine with it. I managed to cram a Denali air horn (loud as all hell++) and remote compressor betweeen the front frame tubes, I made some custom brackets, and the horn sits well back from the fender.

Old 01-13-2019 | 06:54 AM
Shop rag
|
Advanced

Thanks Sparkalot !

Nice job on the horn location, I like the way the K&N looks. I'm slowly getting my bike headed in the direction I want. Tough when you ride it almost daily to spend time building it up. Sissy bar and seat are definitely on the short list then bars and brakes. Motor will be last unless something forces me to go in it sooner.