Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues since battery change

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 11:41 AM
FormerNinjaNowHD
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electrical issues since battery change

So, like a dummy I left ignition on over 24 hours and killed my HD installed battery that was nearly new. I replaced with one from NAPA cause was in a pinch and needed to be somewhere. Started up OK, although always seemed to be a slight hesitation when cranking and before catching. So, latest issue is on 2 occasions now the bike just flat dies, stalls out, when slowing down coming towards a light..AND, a real fun one, the bike randomly surges/accelerates without any added throttle sometimes while cruising

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by FormerNinjaNowHD; 07-28-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:53 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

The first think I would do is make sure you have a good clean ground connection at the frame. It's on top of the starter motor.
Even a new battery may not be fully charged unless you do it before installing. It sounds like the battery is the first place to look. Get it charged up and have it load tested.
Stalling at idle is a symptom of a dirty IAC, so get some throttle body or MAF cleaner and get it cleaned up.
Check for intake and exhaust leaks.

The following users liked this post:
FormerNinjaNowHD (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:01 PM
FormerNinjaNowHD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevil
The first think I would do is make sure you have a good clean ground connection at the frame. It's on top of the starter motor.
Are you talking about something other than the 2 black connectors that (were originally so I duplicated) screwed into the black - post on the battery itself?

Old 07-28-2018, 12:07 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerNinjaNowHD

Are you talking about something other than the 2 black connectors that (were originally so I duplicated) screwed into the black - post on the battery itself?
Yes, something other than what you have attached at the battery. The black battery cable is the ground, follow it from the battery until it connects to the frame/ground, which is above the starter motor.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,807 Likes on 2,543 Posts

What year Wide Glide is your bike and is it EFI? I've got two Dynas and the battery ground goes to post on the frame just under the seat and a ground from the starter to a frame connection just above the starter. If your bike is EFI the IAC (idle air control) may be dirty (causing surges or idle problems). Usually the last maintenance will be the first culprit in a problem. Is the battery been verified to be the correct one?

FormerNinjaNowHD (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 01:22 PM
FormerNinjaNowHD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
What year Wide Glide is your bike and is it EFI? I've got two Dynas and the battery ground goes to post on the frame just under the seat and a ground from the starter to a frame connection just above the starter. If your bike is EFI the IAC (idle air control) may be dirty (causing surges or idle problems). Usually the last maintenance will be the first culprit in a problem. Is the battery been verified to be the correct one?
I had a well recommended shop (non factory) do my 10k mile service about 1.5k miles ago and there’s been no issues at all until I swapped the battery, which is not an HD one. My guess is it may be that and/or this grounding issue so I’m going to check it out in a bit. Thanks

Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 AM
FormerNinjaNowHD
Intermediate

Replaced the battery with previous HD installed battery (now fully recharged) and noticed the negative connection was very loose so could a been that, but after 30 minute test drive things seem perfect, and also cranks up more quickly. Possibly connection/inferior battery combo. Thanks for the input

Old 07-29-2018, 10:00 AM
rdm1465
Tourer

Received 1,023 Likes on 197 Posts

Glad that you got your problem resolved by going back to the original battery.
As far as the replacement battery goes. You may not have had a good connection at the battery. Some battery posts while may work well with other makes of motorcycles, won't work with a HD. HD uses a slightly different connection so while may be tight is not getting a good connection.

Last edited by rdm1465; 07-29-2018 at 10:23 AM.
FormerNinjaNowHD (07-29-2018)