Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not a TC88B in the Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:46 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why not a TC88B in the Dyna?

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

The Dyna is rubber mounted for one and the 88B is in a rigid mount frame. The 88B loses a few HP because of the balancers.
Understood. But could the 88B be converted to a rubber mount and incorporated into the Dyna? Most metric cruisers (no flames please) use a combo of both counterbalances and rubber mounting.

I've never actually ridden a softtail so I can't compare firsthand the performance of the 88 and 88B but is the hp difference really enough to be noticeable?

My thinking behind my original question is that it seems that by minimizing the vibration at idle, you mitigate some of the maintenance issues that are caused by excessive vibration. On the other hand, I'm sure there are other maintenance issues specific to the softtail (rear suspension, etc.)

Old 10-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Gromit
Advanced

ORIGINAL: fxdxsteve

not to mention the fact that you can do more mods to the rubber mount and rev it higher
What he said - a Dyna sounds fabulous up around 6000rpm (and higher). Smooth as you like too.

Off topic (but bear with me please!)....

<1200 miles up now, stage 1 done and Pro Pipe fitted - awesome>

Old 10-22-2005, 07:22 PM
intruder400ex
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a secret for yas the dynas vibration at idle turns the wife on quick as hell gotta love it.

steve

Old 10-23-2005, 03:11 AM
haksaw
Road Master

i bought a new softail this summer after owning 2 dynas (1 evo and 1 tc) and an electraglide. I would never buy another softail because of a few reasons but one of them is the motor. I did the stage 1 just like i did on the others and this bike is a dog. My electraglide would have ridden circles around the softail, and the dyna would ride circles around both. I always liked the vibration at idle on the rubber mounts. It doesn't effect the ride at all because it's silky smooth once you get going. I find the softail much buzzier at highway speeds.
My next bike will certainly not have an 88B motor.

JMHO.
ride safe

Old 10-24-2005, 02:19 AM
sfarson
Road Master

I've never actually ridden a softtail so I can't compare firsthand the performance of the 88 and 88B but is the hp difference really enough to be noticeable?
Oh yeah. Used to have a TC88B Softail Deuce and alongside it in the garage a TC88 Dyna Wide Glide. Both similar in weight, frame, and style. The performance difference between the two (similar mods) was very noticeable. Best way to quantify it was I felt comfortable shifting into a higher gear on the Dyna at 5-10mph higher than when I wanted to shift on the Deuce. The acceleration edge of the Dyna was also apparent. FWIW, the Deuce was sold, the WG remains .

Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 AM
gunz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented a softtail standard and then a wide glide before making my selection. i agree, A little vibe at idle is no biggie, but a high RPM buzz killer my hands on the softtail. The dyna runs smoother after idle than the softtails do. I couldnt ride a softtail too far because it buzzes thru my hands. No problem when riding my dyna over 70.