Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike not running....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:19 PM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bike not running....

Can anyone give me some ideas on trouble shooting?

2010 Wide Glide. 38K on the Odometer.

I changed out my tail lights. I did no splicing, and bought new pins for the wires. Reused the stock connectors after putting new pins on the new signals (three wire) and removing the old wires. Tested out the new lights in the garage. All functions were normal. Running lights, front and rear brakes lit up properly, signals left and right worked fine. Went for a ride and didn't get ten minutes from home before I realized I had no signals. Pulled over and realized, no lights at all. I pulled the fuse cover, and checked; blown fuse for the lights. Switched fuses. Fuse blew out as soon as I switched to the ignition to the on position. Tried one more. Same thing.

So now I know I gotta go home, because I can't ride with no head light, brake lights, turn signals.

I get on to go home and ....bike won't start. Nothing. Had to sit and wait for possibly the most incompetent towing company to ever exist on the side of the highway for two hours in 90+ degrees heat while the guy literally drove past me at least three times.

Anywho, I put a new starter relay in, no difference. I've isolated the cause of the blown light fuse to the left rear signal, and will examine that tomorrow. But for now; I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I switch to the Run position, but absolutely nothing happens when I hit start. No crank no nothing. And the last clue is there is NOTHING in the odometer window. no letters numbers or codes. Nothing. I removed the console and re-seated all the connectors to no avail.

Anyone have any idea what I should be looking for in terms of trouble shooting? Or do I just need to have the dealer (I have a good one) come pick it up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Mule

Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,755 Likes on 2,529 Posts

What is the battery history. Did you pull it down with the testing?

Old 07-07-2018, 10:42 PM
USMAMule
Road Master

New battery last fall. Been on a tender (and not the cheep *** one) when not ridden. And it has no trouble with slow start. Plus I had just started at home with no problem. I'd think if it was a bad or week battery, I wouldn't get bright lights and it would at least try to crank, wouldn't it? When I say I get nothing, i mean absolutely not a thing, nada, zip, zilch. Hit the start button, and zero happens.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2018, 12:47 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Go here for wiring diagrams to help with troubleshooting, however, from your description I would go back and double check that wiring you just did. Also check along the length of the circuit up to the switch. I had a similar issue with my Rocker C that turned out to be a pinched power wire. Don't forget to check your power and ground wires from the battery to the frame ground and starter pos terminal.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....-85e8307aa771t

Last edited by mmesa005; 07-08-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Your Instrument fuse is popped as well.
Fix the blinker issue first, then replace the Instrument Fuse and all should be good.

Don't ask me how I know......

Old 07-08-2018, 07:54 AM
USMAMule
Road Master

The plan today is to drop the rear wheel, so I can get access to the turn signal wiring and check and sort the wire. It'll be interesting to see what exactly happened here to compromise the brand new wires.

I will replace the instrument fuse just to make sure, but I did check it, and all the "other" fuses and they looked good.

But assuming the instrument fuse is blown, would that keep the bike from sending juice to the starter? Seems unrelated. I'm just asking, not arguing. I came to you guys for help, so I'm not trying to be a dick about possible answers. Just trying to understand.

Thanks again, and I will check.

Mulle

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 AM
USMAMule
Road Master

THANKS!! That made this make sense. Will update after I sort it out.

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Go here for wiring diagrams to help with troubleshooting, however, from your description I would go back and double check that wiring you just did. Also check along the length of the circuit up to the switch. I had a similar issue with my Rocker C that turned out to be a pinched power wire. Don't forget to check your power and ground wires from the battery to the frame ground and starter pos terminal.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....-85e8307aa771t

Old 07-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by USMAMule
The plan today is to drop the rear wheel, so I can get access to the turn signal wiring and check and sort the wire. It'll be interesting to see what exactly happened here to compromise the brand new wires.

I will replace the instrument fuse just to make sure, but I did check it, and all the "other" fuses and they looked good.

But assuming the instrument fuse is blown, would that keep the bike from sending juice to the starter? Seems unrelated. I'm just asking, not arguing. I came to you guys for help, so I'm not trying to be a dick about possible answers. Just trying to understand.

Thanks again, and I will check.

Mulle
Yes it will stop juice getting to the starter, and it will keep popping untill the inducator issue is sorted.
Been there, done that, got *** raped by the dealer for it.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 AM
USMAMule
Road Master

So I sorted the indicator wiring issue. I also swapped the lights and instrument fuses and the lights work with either fuse. Still no dice on starting. No dice on the speedo showing anything.

BUT, I think I have another clue and I thing it's related. Even though the lights are sorted, I have no "signal" function. Only running lights. I think it's at least possible that the the flasher control unit was fried by the multiple shorts (although you'd thing the fuse would be the safety measure to prevent that.). Looks like I'm going to have to get it to a dealer.

Thanks all!!

Mule