Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Voltage Regulator 2007 Dyna FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Voltage Regulator 2007 Dyna FXDL

Anyone know how to test voltage Regulator that has been removed from motorcycle.
I believe it is causing my battery to drain.
If faulty will install new form cycle electric as they truly regulate the voltage and not dump it to ground as Harley OEM do.
Any help with testing most appreciated.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Test each winding of the voltage reg by switching your meter to OHMS, and switched to around 2 K ohms. at the plug there are 3 wires, test from one to the other 2 in turn, then switch to another wire and test between it and the other 2, then repeat on the third.

Meter will tell you if you have an open or short in any winding.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
Test each winding of the voltage reg by switching your meter to OHMS, and switched to around 2 K ohms. at the plug there are 3 wires, test from one to the other 2 in turn, then switch to another wire and test between it and the other 2, then repeat on the third.

Meter will tell you if you have an open or short in any winding.
Regulator not alternator there Krazy...

There's not much you can do on the bench to test the regulator. Not unless you can generate around 36vac-2-3phase. As Krazy describes above, is the test for the alternator.

Best way to test regulator(and alternator at the same time) start the bike, and check to see that you have at least 14vdc when measured at the battery when running. You may need to kick it up off a idle a little bit. If you have that, your alt/reg are probably okay. If you don't have it, either of those are bad... and generally the reg is sacrificed the same time the alt goes out.

With the bike sitting and not running, measure the battery voltage... it should be above 11.5... if it's not... you probably have a dead or dying cell... time for new battery.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Regulator not alternator there Krazy....
Oops, Brain fart, sorry.

At least now he knows how to test his stator windings as well

Old 07-03-2018, 01:37 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,542 Posts

+1 with the archer on this.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Dewking
Intermediate

I also have a 2007 Dyna FXDL just got it a few weeks ago any input you can give would be appreciated...I get a lot of vibration when riding the vibration goes away if i am on the throttle any insight to that ? My 2007 has 21K I have changed the oil in all 3 holes replaced the front motor mount, clutch adjustment and cleaned a lot of chrome

Regards,
Dewking

Old 07-03-2018, 10:58 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dewking
I also have a 2007 Dyna FXDL just got it a few weeks ago any input you can give would be appreciated...I get a lot of vibration when riding the vibration goes away if i am on the throttle any insight to that ? My 2007 has 21K I have changed the oil in all 3 holes replaced the front motor mount, clutch adjustment and cleaned a lot of chrome

Regards,
Dewking
Generally not good form to hijack someone else's thread with a totally different issue. Please repost this as a stand-alone question of it's own.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:22 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Diesel2 here. As for VR it was putting out some 13.87 volts measured off the battery before I removed it for testing. Let the bike sit for 15 days, reinstalled the VR and bike started wright up and volts now at 14.27 measuring off the 40 amp main fuse, not the battery. Should be I would think both show same. The system is charging the battery no problem. The problem is parasitic draw which I believe to be the VR.
My question is with the VR in the system 15 days or so battery dead and bike won't start. Measured at the 3 prongs on VR and was showing 11 volts or so with bike off. Now with the VR completely removed the battery after the same amount of time stayed charged and with the VR back started the bike wright up, no problem.
So it is the VR back feeding voltage and draining the Battery, in other words the diodes are not checking the voltage by allowing it to back feed to the stator. Diodes are to allow voltage from stator to feed the battery and not allow any voltage to feed back to the stator. The system is I know 3 phase AC and the rectifier in VR changes it to DC. Also I would think it would turn the stator into a electric heater and burn it out in time if in fact back feeding.
Hope my testing etc., and write up here makes sense.
For sure I no electrical expert, but sure seems to me the VR at fault????
Any help most appreciated.

Last edited by Diesel2; 07-05-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Diesel2
Diesel2 here. As for VR it was putting out some 13.87 volts measured off the battery before I removed it for testing. Let the bike sit for 15 days, reinstalled the VR and bike started wright up and volts now at 14.27 measuring off the 40 amp main fuse, not the battery. Should be I would think both show same. The system is charging the battery no problem. The problem is parasitic draw which I believe to be the VR.
My question is with the VR in the system 15 days or so battery dead and bike won't start. Measured at the 3 prongs on VR and was showing 11 volts or so with bike off. Now with the VR completely removed the battery after the same amount of time stayed charged and with the VR back started the bike wright up, no problem.
So it is the VR back feeding voltage and draining the Battery, in other words the diodes are not checking the voltage by allowing it to back feed to the stator. Diodes are to allow voltage from stator to feed the battery and not allow any voltage to feed back to the stator. The system is I know 3 phase AC and the rectifier in VR changes it to DC. Also I would think it would turn the stator into a electric heater and burn it out in time if in fact back feeding.
Hope my testing etc., and write up here makes sense.
For sure I no electrical expert, but sure seems to me the VR at fault????
Any help most appreciated.
Sounds like the VR. Yes, the diodes are basically an electrical check-valve. sounds like one of the diodes gone bad.