Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing rear brake pads on older Dynas(non-floating calipers)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018 | 05:57 PM
Red Dragons
|
Road Master
Question Changing rear brake pads on older Dynas(non-floating calipers)

First off I've changed more brakes on more types of vehicles(including aircraft) than I can remember, but never on my '04 wide glide, which doesn't have floating calipers like the newer bikes and therefore you don't remove the caliper, you slide the pads out of both sides of the caliper. But of course you have to bottom out the pistons somehow but since you can't remove the caliper it's not exactly like you can take a C-clamp to it like you would a normal caliper. So the manual says that you use SOMETHING to pry between the worn pad and the ROTOR to push the pistons back. I'm curious WHAT exactly you use so that you don't score the ****ing **** out of the rotor. Obviously nothing metal. But it takes a bit of force to retract the pistons, so what is strong enough but won't damage the rotor?

Also, anyone know how many years they used this (stupid) design?

Old 06-25-2018 | 07:09 PM
Spike_351
Intermediate

Just done the rears on my buddy's 05 RK. Same type of caliper. Wrap a flathead screwdriver with electric tape and be gental. We had no issues with scratching or scoring the rotor, if you lay flat on your back and look up you'll have a better view of the caliper pistons btw.

Old 06-25-2018 | 07:11 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Bronze drift punch or pry bar. There are quite a few fairly hard "non-sparking" tools for use around flammables. 7075 or 6061 aluminum, bronze, brass, copper, carbon fiber, glass filled nylon, delrin, various hard woods, etc. Use your imagination.

Old 06-25-2018 | 07:16 PM
Red Dragons
|
Road Master

Thanks guys. I'd be curious to know what they do at the dealers since they must do these all the time. Guessing they have some specialized $100 brass pry bar.

Old 06-25-2018 | 07:18 PM
Spike_351
Intermediate

I'm going to guess they use a screwdriver and avoid telling anyone exactly how they do it.

Old 06-25-2018 | 07:27 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Loosen the rear wheel while the bike is up on the lift. This will allow you to push and pull the Caliper to the left and right this compressing the Caliper pistons.

Then remove your brake pad pins.

Clean the pins and I add a dab of whee bearing grease to them

Then put in the exhaust side pad and start your pins. Then follow up with your primary side and push the pins in the rest of the way.

Tighten everything up and wipe down your rotor with brake clean.

Done

Old 06-25-2018 | 07:32 PM
Red Dragons
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Loosen the rear wheel while the bike is up on the lift. This will allow you to push and pull the Caliper to the left and right this compressing the Caliper pistons.

Then remove your brake pad pins.

Clean the pins and I add a dab of whee bearing grease to them

Then put in the exhaust side pad and start your pins. Then follow up with your primary side and push the pins in the rest of the way.

Tighten everything up and wipe down your rotor with brake clean.

Done
Yeah, see I was wanting to avoid the lift and loosening the axle part. I'll just find something soft, yet strong to pry with. Thanks though.

Old 06-27-2018 | 09:02 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

I usually clean the pistons, paint brush, Simple Green, rinse and blow off with a electric leaf blower. Put a straight edge screwdriver in between the pad and rotor and twist the driver a little bit at a time on each side of the pad. I never scratched the rotor, even if I did it would probably wear off on the next ride.

Old 06-27-2018 | 12:27 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, now I know how rotors get "warped..."

Old 06-27-2018 | 03:47 PM
Spike_351
Intermediate

It takes a lot more than that to warp a rotor.

The following users liked this post:
WS6 Formula (06-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Changing rear brake pads on older Dynas(non-floating calipers)