Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Street Bob problems - It's Shank's Pony for me (walking)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 AM
gilesgraphics
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 06 Street Bob problems - It's Shank's Pony for me (walking)

Well Slough Harley are picking it up today and are hoping to have it apart by the end of today, they did not have to pick it up but are p*&^%d at Harley UK not being interested..
They agree that the amount of problems I am having with it are not good and are going to go over the whole bike..

My sister and her fella live just over 15 miles from the guy I bought it off and they confirm no floods there so any damage must of happened before he got it.. as to how he stored it it was in his garage which was converted into a pool room/bar with central heating, there where plenty of smudge marks from tyres on the floor and he also had pics of his last few bikes in the same room so I reckon it was kept in there.

He has also kept in touch with me which would be odd for someone who was just ditching the bike, even inviting me to pop in to see them when I was down in the area.. he wanted to see what I had done to the bike (new pipes, changed that effin' orrible tank badge etc.)..

Anyhoo.. fingers crossed I hope to know what is going on by the end of today
[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
gilesgraphics
Intermediate

Spindle is out and has been replaced.. was not greased properly..

The bang was the Stator grenading and the reason for all the management lights was it cut the cable.. apparently all parts in the primary side are being replaced FOC but I won't get the bike back until some time next week (if the parts arrive).. which means in real terms next weekend at the earliest.

They are having a look at all the corrosion.

To top it all off I have a nail in my back tyre.. probably from riding down the side of the road after she blew [:@]

Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 AM
gilesgraphics
Intermediate

Well I have her back..
Harley don't think that chrome flaking off is a problem so much for pride in their product..
I was a metal finisher for 7 years before I saved enough to pay to get my degree and if I had dent out anything likme this low standard of work I would have been sacked on the spot.
As to the major part of the breakdown the 4 bolts holding the stator had come undone and this is not the first Dyna to have done this that they know of (mine went at 6600 another went at 7000). The stator is now welded on newer models so if you own a 06/07 Dyna have the stator checked at service time!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
SCREAMING EAGLE
Banned

ORIGINAL: gilesgraphics

My tale of woe with my street bob

All mileages approx

Bought 624 miles on clock 6 months old stored in owners house!

800 miles finish flakes off console rust underneath

1100 1st service mention slight knocking/vibration/jerking sensation through footpegs when using rear brake, does not appear to be a problem just odd.

1200 bottom yoke pitting and top of fork legs corroding.

1400 fork leg cap right hand side starts to bloom and blow off chrome, spokes rusted, engine finish badly tarnished (s100 really works)

4200 ignition barrel starts to seize (now replaced)

4800 service talk to Chris about ignition problem

6000 master cylinder starts to leak fixed by coming in to shop conclusion over tightened but never touched?????
Filed under weird..

6200 mention knocking from forks when braking and jerking sensation from using back brake while ignition in for replacement (mechanic says he thinks this is due to rubber mounts), also point out paint coming off frame at welds (cracking welds?), talk about corrosion problems which are now everywhere on bike:

Finish of forks, wheels, clutch/switchgear housing, frame, detachable sissy bar (less than 8 months old fitted at 1st service), instrument nacelle, headlight surround... look for chrome it will be flaking/rusting apart from bars and fuel caps..

I have always used s100 cleaning products on it from the start, motorcycle cleaner, brake dust remover, metal polish and a special spoke cleaning cloth. It has also had preservative used on it over winter and a light preservative you can polish in summer.

6500 go to replace tyres and rear wheel spindle is seized in, told it will be OK to ride booked in for warranty repair (next Saturday)

6600 after exit from A41 heading to Berkhamstead engine management light and battery light come on, loud mechanical crunch followed by constant crunching noise, it was wet (though just spitting) at this time and I was doing about 50mph.. Instantly pulled clutch and pulled over and killed engine.. looked it over and no obvious damage/old leaks, have hit nothing on road so limped about ½ mile to Stratstone BMW who very kindly took bike in.
You can start the bike up and it sounds fine.. try riding it a short distance and all the lights come on and the crunching starts again.

Though I have no problems with ***** Harley and think your service has been second to none but I do have severe doubts about the fitness for use of this motorcycle now, there are just too many problems piling up.

So far in this 5000 mile service period a large amount of my service interval (and petrol/time) has been consumed bringing the bike down to ***** Harley to have problems checked/fixed and I would hope Harley may want to do something about this and also if the bike is going to be off the road for a prolonged period maybe sort me a loaner.

Anyone one else having big problems with theirs???

I gather there is a problem with the engine mounts which may explain the problems I have.

Again I have to praise the dealer (despite not being the original dealer they have done all services) who have volunteered to go pick the bike up.

YOU HAVE A FLOOD DAMAGED BIKE FOR SURE !!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/35788/952F2DF60AC54BFBB601C9F3883C104D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2008, 04:00 AM
gilesgraphics
Intermediate

Well I got knocked off the bike Jan 11th and it stood for a while went to pick her up with the repairs supposedly having been done.. idiot lights not working power commander Fubared so no power, ignition switch not fitted properly (I take back my previous recommendation of Slough Harley).. and the RUST!!!!
Where the bike has been standing she is now a rat [:@]
Harley insist that it is a maintenance problem, f**k me if I washed it any more often I would wear a hole in the thing! It is only because she has been cleaned obsessively that I have kept on top of the rust.
They have had the cheek to offer me a part exchange.. why the hell should I buy another bike where I can watch my money rust away in front me? I think they are relying on me suffering from Stockholm Syndrome or something.
The amount of problems I have had with this bike have sadly destroyed the dream (I saved for years to own one) and I am going to return to Japan for my next bike (and soon) which will not rust like this, fall apart on a regular basis, fail in potentially lethal ways, it is just totally unacceptable.. It has had a substantial amount of its warranty period off the road due to warranty issues but I will not get that back.
I really loved this bike which is why I have put up with it.. NO MORE!
If this is what Harley are producing they deserve to be consigned to the bin of failed manufacturers because their bikes suck the big one.
I cannot begin to explain how dissapointed I have been with this bike, loved riding it (when it actually worked) but it seems the cost is just going to be far too much.
Harleys it would appear are toys now and not motorcycles and I feel they are mis-selling the product when they say it is a motorcycle. My advice to anyone from now on wanting to buy one is DON'T your are being ripped off and all that glitters is not chrome (more like tin foil).

Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How well did you rinse off the S100? It is extrememely corrosive......... just sayin

DougJ

Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 AM
gilesgraphics
Intermediate

Used the power jet washer and the proper micro fibre cloth.. especially as I used the brake dust cleaner too.
This bike has been a nightmare right from the off.
The first things started to go wrong at 800 miles which is pathetic!

I have met loads of other Harley owners with similar issues.. the loner sporster roadster I got while mine is being fixed went back to the rental company after 600 miles (sealed, treated and setup by Harley), 40 miles of which were riding it to the rental place, due to corrosion, also this had misfires and the idiot lights coming on and staying on and once it insisted I had the side stand down and would not let me put it in gear without cutting out, the brakes had to be bled as soon as I got it as this had not been done properly (6 miles on the clock and it needed attention). I jumped on it after my experiences and rang them @ about 3 weeks and 400 miles they came out thinking I might be over stressing the problem and took it straight back to the dealer (they were very p*ssed).. oddly enough this was bought at the same dealer as mine..
The 1200 Custom I have from the rental company right now is fine no excessive corrosion at all.. different dealer. I wonder?????

Harley don't care so f**k them and their little red wagon 2 out 3 bikes I have used from them have been REALLY BADLY FINISHED and if they don't see this is a problem market forces and reputation will kill them off..

There are plenty of after market manufacturers making engines etc which will give youi the Harley experience without the grief.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:27 AM
lee
Cruiser

sorry to hear of your problems my mate had a bob that was nothing but trouble hd uk no help at all,the attitude is that your not supose to ride the dam things my 07 has only done 11 thou valued at 6k,ive gone down the stainless blackpowder coat route,as for my mate he got another bob & is well pleased,jap or yank uk weather will get it in the end,good luck with your bike

Old 04-17-2008, 06:32 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jackyl

ORIGINAL: waterman7474

all the rust makes me think that this thing has been submerged and was a flood bike. all the other problems make sense too. i wonder if it got flooded and the guy didn't have insurance and tried to punt it. what part of the country was the bike in before you bought it.

i wouldn't bring it up to the dealer, cause if somehow the guy hid it, they might be able to uncover it then your screwed.

it sounds like you have a pretty good candidate for a Lemon Law, especially if it hasn't been flooded. i'd do some research for how that works in your state, start documenting everything and get them to give you a new bike. hell, here in NV, you might have already qualified.
i was thinking the same thing about flooded or submerged
Ya that does jump out at you

Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Better of to trade it in and get a new one. This bike had something terrible happen to it before you bought it. Not all Harleys are this way! My 2005 has been no problem at all! If you go buy a Jap knockoff, you will regret it.

~Joe

Quick Reply: 06 Street Bob problems - It's Shank's Pony for me (walking)