Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF trees on a FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:39 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default FXDF trees on a FXDB

I am wanting to run FXDF trees on my FXDB. I would really love to get a firsthand accounts from those that have done this mod. I would like to hear your thoughts on handeling and if there is any negatives or positives to doing it.

Second, I am a bit confused about the trees. Is the lower FXDB And FXDF tree the same? I saw in a couple of threads people said you only have to get the FXDF top tree to convert them, which makes no sense to me because aren't FXDB trees mid glide and FXDF trees wide glide? Would both top and bottom FXDF trees be wider? If not the fork tubes would taper in as they go downwards.
Does anyone have the part numbers for the FXDF trees that I would need.
I actually purchased a set of trees off of ebay that were advertised as FXDB Dyna Fat Bob trees. I saw Fat Bob trees and thought they were correct but then I caught the FXDB part. After I purchased them a forum member turned me on to Ronnie's and I was able to check the part numbers. They are definitely Street Bob trees, not Fat Bob, which is what I already have.
The other thing that is confusing me is, on Ronnie's the FXDF trees part# changes through out years but I thought 06-17 are supposed to be all the same. For example, why does 2012 and 2015 FXDF trees have different part #'s. I just want to make sure I buy the correct FXDF trees because many Ebay sellers won't refund you after you hit pay, even if they haven't shipped.
The trees I bought haven't shipped so I hope the guy takes responsibility for listing them wrong. There is no FXDB Fat Bob trees, is there? I know you can swap them but they shouldn't be listed as FXDB Fat Bob trees.

Third, I plan on keeping my FXDB sliders so I know I need a new axle and also fender and brake caliper spacers. Does anyone have an exact list of the parts I will need and possibly part numbers?
Any firsthand insight would be greatly appreciated.

This is the look i am going for. I love the wide glide look and the negative 1° trail on the fat bob. I will be using my stock rims and tires now but i will be upgrading to new ones somewhere down the line.

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 05-28-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:12 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I can give you part numbers for the triple trees on a 2008 Fat Bob, however they are polished aluminum finish on that year.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SixDD
I can give you part numbers for the triple trees on a 2008 Fat Bob, however they are polished aluminum finish on that year.
I actually found them already but thank you. I will edit the thread son I'm not waiting people's time.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:40 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I installed the Fat Bob trees on my Street Bob. Yes, the trees are wider, at the same width as the Wide Glide trees, so you do need both the top and bottom. The Fat Bob trees will reduce your rake by 1 degree. Yes, you can use your complete stock Street Bob fork legs. If you plan to use the stock wheel, there is a company out there that makes a spacer kit to spce the rotor out to line it back up with the caliper, I believe it also might have the axle you need (Wide Glide/Fat Bob axle works too) and wheel spacers too. Also, if using the stock wheel, you can also get some spacers to go between the stock fender and legs.

As for handling and feel, I really can’t help you there. When I did the mod, I went to a 21” up front and then to a 16”. My set up now (tire/wheel) is the same sizes fount on a Fat Bob. I like the look of the wider tree and it helped me accomplish the touring setup I was seeking.

Hope the info above is helpful.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I installed the Fat Bob trees on my Street Bob. Yes, the trees are wider, at the same width as the Wide Glide trees, so you do need both the top and bottom. The Fat Bob trees will reduce your rake by 1 degree. Yes, you can use your complete stock Street Bob fork legs. If you plan to use the stock wheel, there is a company out there that makes a spacer kit to spce the rotor out to line it back up with the caliper, I believe it also might have the axle you need (Wide Glide/Fat Bob axle works too) and wheel spacers too. Also, if using the stock wheel, you can also get some spacers to go between the stock fender and legs.

As for handling and feel, I really can’t help you there. When I did the mod, I went to a 21” up front and then to a 16”. My set up now (tire/wheel) is the same sizes fount on a Fat Bob. I like the look of the wider tree and it helped me accomplish the touring setup I was seeking.

Hope the info above is helpful.
Thanks for the info. So are you saying you went with a fxdf hub?
You say the 21" front and 16" rear you have on now is the same size found on the fxdf. According to the HD wheel chart it says fxdf comes stock with 16x3 front and 16x5 rear. I see certain year fxdwg's come with 16 rear and 21 front. Did you mead fxdwg or am.I missing something.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

If you want to use a 21' front go with wide glide tree's

16" front go with fat bob tree's.....the rake of the FXDWG tree's helps keep the bike more level with the added height of the 21"

21" x 3.25" with 120 70 21" tire worked great for me!!

The following users liked this post:
SixDD (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

FatBob trees - Black 48609-09

FatBob axle- 41547-07

as you know because all of our conversations in your other post which already covered all of this, that’s my bike you used a picture of. I dug back through my emails from about 8 years ago for you to get these part numbers which I used and have on my bike in that pic. As discussed you will also need axle spacers, a rotor spacer and fender spacers which I machined myself so don’t have part numbers for but they are readily available. Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

You mentioned a caliper spacer, I would recommend spacing the rotor not the caliper

Old 06-01-2018, 04:23 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
Thanks for the info. So are you saying you went with a fxdf hub?
You say the 21" front and 16" rear you have on now is the same size found on the fxdf. According to the HD wheel chart it says fxdf comes stock with 16x3 front and 16x5 rear. I see certain year fxdwg's come with 16 rear and 21 front. Did you mead fxdwg or am.I missing something.
Sorry for confusion. I originally went from stock front end with stock front and rear wheels. When I swapped to Fat Bob trees, I keep stock rear 17” wheel and used a softail/wide glide 40 spoke hub laced to a 21”x3.5” hoop for the front wheel. Currently, I run a 16”x5” 40 spoke rear and a 16”x3” 40 spoke up front, the tire sizes are the same as those found on a Fat Bob.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I used 2008 Fat Bob Trees on my 2006 Street Bob - while retaining the OEM Street Bob Fork Tubes. The front wheel, axle, and spacers are from a 2007 wide Glide. I used spacers for the caliper and front fender. I think that's it. It's been a while. The rear is lowered one inch.

Last edited by SixDD; 06-01-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: FXDF trees on a FXDB