Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF trees on a FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Absolutely! No offense taken. I did it for 20 years. Letting a customer's attitude affect the quote may not be very professional, but some guys were just ********. I was more of a "quote everything" kinda guy and my partner was more likely to no quote things that were a hassle. I generally just charged more for the PITA factor. We did sub out a few things and also provided in-house engineering services. The sub work was usually passed thru at very low margins and the engineering work was either included in the piece price or quoted separate depending on the situation.

I'm out of that world now. I don't miss the daily grind but I do miss the resources I had at hand. And the good friends, of course.

Anyway, OP, sorry for the sidebar. Shop it around, supply drawings, and good luck! I would gladly help if I was still in the business.
Thanks cggorman. If the OP has thickness dimensions I already have geometry ( DXF / DWG ) built I can send him so shops will give better quotes.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:03 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like I said i already bought the spacers I need from Hawg Halters already but I don't think I gave anyone attitude or came across as an *******. I just gave the companies the drawings, explained what they were for and asked how much it would cost to make them. Every company I dealt with was plenty cool with me but I just think they have so much work that it's not worth doing them for me unless I pay enough to make it worth their while.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:05 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I didn't mean to imply you were coming across poorly. Sorry it sounded that way. I was just recounting some of my experiences.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:55 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

I didn't mean to imply you were coming across poorly. Sorry it sounded that way. I was just recounting some of my experiences.
I didn't think you were. I was just putting it out there.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
Like I said i already bought the spacers I need from Hawg Halters already but I don't think I gave anyone attitude or came across as an *******. I just gave the companies the drawings, explained what they were for and asked how much it would cost to make them. Every company I dealt with was plenty cool with me but I just think they have so much work that it's not worth doing them for me unless I pay enough to make it worth their while.
Please don't think it that way. Even without prints or even with limited knowledge no shop should treat you without respect!!
I / we are not saying you have an attitude, a good business should present themselves to be grateful to help you and give you good tangible info....If they can't help you they should say up front it will probably cost you x amount. Large companies with constant quotes are a different matter altogether.

cggorman and I are part of a community and are willing to give a different perspective and better shop rate to our community of friends and riders.

My company's shop rate is over 100.00 an hour, others close by are 85.00 hr. They are usually slammed with work...we are also slammed just with different types of work / aero space / industry with production lines down / ect. I, and I'm sure cggorman are glad you found the mass produced spacers affordable and will get your bike running as soon as possible.

If you need any help just ask. There's many members willing and happy to help.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:12 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

The smaller the run (number of similar parts), the bigger the piece price. The machine setup times, dimensional verifications, scrap/overrun, print prep/programming, packaging, etc costs are the basically the same for one part or 100 but can be divided over the length of the run. Some places will list them separate on the quote and quantity breaks may also be included. Some may also quote a delivered quantity range (like +/- 10% of ordered...which has bit me before. Get conditions negotiated up front if that's an issue)

I generally included pricing for a range of run quantities, like 1, 2 , 3-5, 6-10, 11-25, 25-100, etc. The piece prices fell off FAST (for us) up to around 50 pcs. Once you got up into the 1000s we could give another sizable break as we moved to different machines and dedicated tooling (and often lower margins with contracts). We would run small quantities on manual machines or CNC, but the big volumes would go to rotary transfer, screw machines, etc. Might take a hour to do part x manually or 10 seconds to do part x on another machine...but with a 6 hour setup requiring custom tooling and gauging and such. Lotta variables...

Try to find a small local shop. Tool & Die places (accustomed to short runs) sometimes are happy to help a guy for very reasonable money between bigger jobs.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-09-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:24 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

The smaller the run (number of similar parts), the bigger the piece price. The machine setup times, dimensional verifications, scrap/overrun, print prep/programming, packaging, etc costs are the basically the same for one part or 100 but can be divided over the length of the run. Some places will list them separate on the quote and quantity breaks may also be included. Some may also quote a delivered quantity range (like +/- 10% of ordered...which has bit me before. Get conditions negotiated up front if that's an issue)

I generally included pricing for a range of run quantities, like 1, 2 , 3-5, 6-10, 11-25, 25-100, etc. The piece prices fell off FAST (for us) up to around 50 pcs. Once you got up into the 1000s we could give another sizable break as we moved to different machines and dedicated tooling (and often lower margins with contracts). We would run small quantities on manual machines or CNC, but the big volumes would go to rotary transfer, screw machines, etc. Might take a hour to do part x manually or 10 seconds to do part x on another machine...but with a 6 hour setup requiring custom tooling and gauging and such. Lotta variables...

Try to find a small local shop. Tool & Die places (accustomed to short runs) sometimes are happy to help a guy for very reasonable money between bigger jobs.
I have been Blessed as I have worked in R&D facilities all my life. In the 80's I was inside the Persian 2 Radom mold cavity repairing and helped build the heat and pressure fixture....built the rings, and turned the profile. This system is what Regan killed in the SALT 2 treaty...Russians were deathly afraid of a guided ICBM Then not 2 years later worked on the MX missile!! Still have some scrap fuel pressure relief covers

90's several more companies including 3 years at FATS (firearms train systems / Jody Scheckter )

In the 2000's even worked on the Cadillac Lemans car. I would have hated to have to run 1000's of parts screw machine or even bar feed CNC!

Now mostly design and prototype. Design / build geometry with CAM then send to machine a build. Anything over 50 pcs and it's out the door.

This makes for a very interesting and able to do tons of jobs from 100's of different industries.

Anyway I am glad vallyofthegun found his parts and I can build parts for my bike,

Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

I was on my way to building my bike but it looks like I will be needing EDM service. When I was taking of the right side axle holder I found that one of the two Alen bolts was was sheared off. I took the slider to a machinist to have the broken bolt removed and three minutes after arriving I now had a ez out snapped off inside the bolt.
I then took the slider to another machinist who said he specializes in removing bolts with broken ez out's in them. He tried drilling and instantly snapped a carbide mill bit. He then tried building up welds several times but they all just twisted right off. Today I tried to boil it out with alum but after 12 hours on the stove there was little to no progress. So 60$ later, 40$ to the second machinist and 20$ in alum, I still have a ez out broken off in the bolt. Tomorrow I will be calling for quotes on EDM removal. If the cost is over 100$, I am just going to buy a fxdl right side slider for 215$ so I can upgrade to dual disc some time in the future.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:20 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Stainless bolt in aluminum with no lube... Tough news, man. Sorry.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

EDM hole pooper...probably will be minimum charge $75.00 - $125.00

Bet I can still get it out

Quick Reply: FXDF trees on a FXDB