Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF trees on a FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Understood. The Vulcans may be fine but I can't confirm it.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Understood. The Vulcans may be fine but I can't confirm it.
I already know they are a hair off so they will be my last resort.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
Right now things are up on the air.
I'm waiting on a call back from Hawg Halters. They are looking into selling me all the parts minus the axle.
I'm also waiting to hear back from really more like a friend of a friend with the cnc lathe.

I was posing the question about tolerance just to get your opionion on how strict they had to be. The reason i did so is because Vulcan is saying that people use their spacers as is to do the mid to wide conversion without any issues. My thinking is like yours, It's better to not chance it. I was just throwing my options out there when I also mentioned turning down the Vulcan spacers.

As of now I haven't decided on anything until I speak with Hawg halters and the cnc guy.
I totally agree, turning down Vulcan's spacers is the least desirable of my options.
If you need them trimmed send them to me I can turn them for free. just pay shipping, I'm at 30071 Georgia.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
If you need them trimmed send them to me I can turn them for free. just pay shipping, I'm at 30071 Georgia.
I appreciate that Blue Bob.
Hawg Halters just got back to me and for 108$ they will sell me everything minus the axle, which I already have. Their wheel spacers are dead on at .166 but there rotar spacer is 0.01 larger than the calculations that I have seen.
I honestly don't think the minimal difference is going to be a problem because the gap between the pads is larger than than 0.01. If I am wrong and I need to have it turned down I will definitely take you up on it.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Default Spacers are ordered

I just got my spacers ordered from Thomas at Hawg Halters. Tom went out of his way to get me a kit minus the axle which saved me 75$. I would definitely recommend them.

I just want to Thank everyone here on the H-D forum for being patient, answering all my FNG questions and for helping me out. I recieved my trees yesterday so once they're back from powdercoat I can start my conversion. After my front-end is done I can focus on getting the dent out of my gas tank. Thanks again and I will come back and share some before and after pics.
Ride hard but ride safe!

Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Default Quotes

So while I was searching for the spacers I reached out to a few machinist I found advertising on Craigslist and on the Web. The quotes I got back range from 300$ to 600$. That's just for the two wheel spacers and the one rotor spacer.

I am glad I found them mass produced because if not they would have been some expensive spacers.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

The quote is high because they just don't want to do it. probably because there is no print or geometry.

Typical MO. The right thing to do is No Quote.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:31 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I used to be in the prototype and short-run business and my co-worker and I frequently debated a high quote versus a no quote. There are merits to both. I talked with a lot of customers that were relieved just to get a price after a dozen no quotes. A lot really depended on the customer's story/attitude. Some jobs, of course, were unquestionably out of our capabilities and those were declined. Other customers were just ******** or troublesome so they might get gouged or declined. Kinda depended on our mood at the time. If I truly couldn't help them, I did try to give the customer at least a lead on somebody that might be interested. My high quotes were usually pretty close to 65% margin after all costs were deducted. Enough to keep us happy for the frustration and low enough that I could sleep at night.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-08-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cggorman
I used to be in the prototype and short-run business and my co-worker and I frequently debated a high quote versus a no quote. There are merits to both. I talked with a lot of customers that were relieved just to get a price after a dozen no quotes. A lot really depended on the customer's story/attitude. Some jobs, of course, were unquestionably out of our capabilities and those were declined. Other customers were just ******** or troublesome so they might get gouged or declined. Kinda depended on our mood at the time. If I truly couldn't help them, I did try to give the customer at least a lead on somebody that might be interested. My high quotes were usually pretty close to 65% margin after all costs were deducted. Enough to keep us happy for the frustration and low enough that I could sleep at night.
I'm still doing it 30+ years, and most no quotes for us are not from a capability issue because some are just subbed out, and our company will not allow customers attitude to affect quote or price. I have learned to work with the customer and even with a no quote he may come back again. No quotes for many shops can be merely because they are perhaps military contractors constantly phishing for the cheapest price, and tying up shop resources quoting.

I do understand your point of view and am not saying I'm right, your wrong, just different environments / management styles / cities / etc..

Old 06-08-2018, 11:55 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Absolutely! No offense taken. I did it for 20 years. Letting a customer's attitude affect the quote may not be very professional, but some guys were just ********. I was more of a "quote everything" kinda guy and my partner was more likely to no quote things that were a hassle. I generally just charged more for the PITA factor. We did sub out a few things and also provided in-house engineering services. The sub work was usually passed thru at very low margins and the engineering work was either included in the piece price or quoted separate depending on the situation.

I'm out of that world now. I don't miss the daily grind but I do miss the resources I had at hand. And the good friends, of course.

Anyway, OP, sorry for the sidebar. Shop it around, supply drawings, and good luck! I would gladly help if I was still in the business.

Quick Reply: FXDF trees on a FXDB