Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF trees on a FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Personally, I would only be comfortable buying after I'd done a mock-up with the calipers, rotors, sliders, and wheel in place.

With the stack-up and manufacturing variance, I suspect you're going to need a selection to get it right. If you're in a hurry, order two of each and return the unused.

.020" from nominal in any one location shouldn't be an issue, but those stack-ups will kill you.

Sorry I can't be more precise. I laid mine out in CAD and still had to adjust once I put it all together on the bike.
That's why I was thinking of buying the larger size and if i need to I can always shave a hair off.

Also in a thread or two I saw where people said to mock them up first using pvc pipe but many people said doing so really wasn't nessisary because it is a fairly common conversion using fairly common parts.
I am not in a rush and I have no issue mocking it up first but do you think the sizes of the spacers will vary from bike to bike?

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 06-04-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:43 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

The sizes should be consistent from bike to bike as long as all the affecting parts are identical. Change one piece of the puzzle and everything goes right out the window.

I wouldn't use a hand grinder or sander to alter spacer thickness. You will get taper and unevenness that will cause rotor wobble or bearing loading problems. Better to find a local job shop to put them on a surfacer or lathe.

I get kinda **** about this stuff so there may be more practical ways to get good enough.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

The sizes should be consistent from bike to bike as long as all the affecting parts are identical. Change one piece of the puzzle and everything goes right out the window.

I wouldn't use a hand grinder or sander to alter spacer thickness. You will get taper and unevenness that will cause rotor wobble or bearing loading problems. Better to find a local job shop to put them on a surfacer or lathe.

I get kinda **** about this stuff so there may be more practical ways to get good enough.
I am going with the same exact setup that Tat2u did, fxdf trees with stock fxdb 49mm forks, fork sliders, and fxdb hub. Tat2u also put up a very detailed drawing with calculations up on a post from years ago. I have still not decided, I might just have them made going off his drawings. I am waiting for a friend that has a cnc lathe to get back to me.

Ya if I buy them and I had to shave some off I wouldn't sand them. I would turn them down on a lathe.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Tat2 says his recipe works. No reason to alter it.

Axle spacers are dirt cheap and easy to make if you have access to a lathe. Rotor spacers are a bit more involved.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Tat2 says his recipe works. No reason to alter it.

Axle spacers are dirt cheap and easy to make if you have access to a lathe. Rotor spacers are a bit more involved.
Tat2u is a life long machinist so I would be highly surprised if he was wrong. I know he is not because Pete from Rocket Bob's has the same numbers as well as hawg halters. Hawg halters sells a kit but it comes with the axle. I already have an axle so I am waiting for them to get back to me with a price on the parts individually.

Yes the rotor spacer is a bit more in depth but still nothing too crazy.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine work yes but as said above you really should be mocking it up and measuring your own set up. Work things out from there just to be safe. I’m a machinist so I work to a thou or 2 but depends which diamension. Bore and OD with these spacers aren’t critical but width is

Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tat2u
Mine work yes but as said above you really should be mocking it up and measuring your own set up. Work things out from there just to be safe. I’m a machinist so I work to a thou or 2 but depends which diamension. Bore and OD with these spacers aren’t critical but width is
You converted from fxdb to fxdf trees using your stock fxdb 49mm forks and sliders, am I correct? I could mock it up but I just don't see a need to. If the measurements weren't common knowledge at this point then I would of course have to mock it up. Hawg halters mid to wide conversion kit is the same exact measurements that you have, that also rocket bobs had, that i found in several other threads. I have a stock fxdb set up. My forks are straight. It is pretty straight forward, isn't it?

As far as the width, if I end up buying the Vulcan spacers I planned on buying bigger and turning them down to the correct width on a lathe.

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 06-04-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Yes, but you're looking at Vulcan spacers with possible out of spec thicknesses, correct?

If the kits with the correct spacers are readily available, why even mess with piecing together sub-optimal stuff from Vulcan? Just the axle? ****, buy the kit and sell the spare axle.

ETA: if you're going to machine stuff, again, why bother with Vulcan. Just have your buddy with the CNC cut them from raw stock. He probably has drops and scrap from which to start for nearly zero cost. I feel like I'm missing something.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:56 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
BlueAngel, you said if I want a 21" wheel up front that I should go with fxdwg trees but you said you used fxdf trees and run a 21" wheel up front, does that mean in high and sight thst you would have used fxdwg trees if you had to do it over again?
I don't recall making this statement, but I could be wrong. I believe I was attempting to say that you should just use a Wide Glide front 21" wheel to ease all the additional work needed to use a stock hub. As for the Wide Glide vs Fat Bob tree, it is really up to what you are seeking. The 21" with the wide Glide tree will keep the bike somewhat near stock height in the front because the added rake pushes the tire forward, but could effect your trail numbers. But the 21" with the Fat Bob trees would bring the tire closer to the frame increase the height of the front end due to increased tire diameter compared to the stock 19". When I ran the 21" with the Fat Bob trees, I raised the legs in the trees pinch points about 3/4" to level the bike out. and no, I wouldn't use the wide glide trees, I am not a fan of the increased rake.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Yes, but you're looking at Vulcan spacers with possible out of spec thicknesses, correct?

If the kits with the correct spacers are readily available, why even mess with piecing together sub-optimal stuff from Vulcan? Just the axle? ****, buy the kit and sell the spare axle.

ETA: if you're going to machine stuff, again, why bother with Vulcan. Just have your buddy with the CNC cut them from raw stock. He probably has drops and scrap from which to start for nearly zero cost. I feel like I'm missing something.
Right now things are up on the air.
I'm waiting on a call back from Hawg Halters. They are looking into selling me all the parts minus the axle.
I'm also waiting to hear back from really more like a friend of a friend with the cnc lathe.

I was posing the question about tolerance just to get your opionion on how strict they had to be. The reason i did so is because Vulcan is saying that people use their spacers as is to do the mid to wide conversion without any issues. My thinking is like yours, It's better to not chance it. I was just throwing my options out there when I also mentioned turning down the Vulcan spacers.

As of now I haven't decided on anything until I speak with Hawg halters and the cnc guy.
I totally agree, turning down Vulcan's spacers is the least desirable of my options.

Quick Reply: FXDF trees on a FXDB