Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF trees on a FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:18 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
Thanks for the info. So are you saying you went with a fxdf hub?
You say the 21" front and 16" rear you have on now is the same size found on the fxdf. According to the HD wheel chart it says fxdf comes stock with 16x3 front and 16x5 rear. I see certain year fxdwg's come with 16 rear and 21 front. Did you mead fxdwg or am.I missing something.
BlueAngel, you said if I want a 21" wheel up front that I should go with fxdwg trees but you said you used fxdf trees and run a 21" wheel up front, does that mean in high and sight thst you would have used fxdwg trees if you had to do it over again?

Old 06-03-2018, 01:59 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blueangel73

Just my opinion, but the larger diameter spacer plate placed between the hub and rotor to space the rotor out is a much stronger surface area under braking the two small spacers with longer bolts holding on a caliper. The rotor has equal rotational pressure at the hub when the brake is applied, but the caliper is being pulled in that rotational direction when trying to clamp down on the rotor. The more the caliper stands off its strongest matting surface, the weaker is becomes with that pull effect.
I thought the same thing but I read other guys say split it. I'm only going to use a rotor spacer and the two wheel spacers. A rotor spacer seems much stronger.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Default Fxdf triple tree spacer

When I ordered my fxdf trees I saw there is also a fxdf triple tree spacer.
Do I need to order this spacer to run fxdf trees on my Street Bob or is it a universal.part and I can just take the one from my fxdb trees and reuse it?

Old 06-03-2018, 03:44 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

No idea what that is. Almost looks like an old tapered roller spacer that has a seal running on the OD. But it also looks tapered itself and maybe has a plastic end? No idea on that one. I'm certainly not using whatever it is.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cggorman
No idea what that is. Almost looks like an old tapered roller spacer that has a seal running on the OD. But it also looks tapered itself and maybe has a plastic end? No idea on that one. I'm certainly not using whatever it is.
I don't know what it is? When I pull up fat bob triple trees on Ronnie's part finder I don't see it in the drawings but everytime i pull up fat bob trees on ebay the part always comes up and it's labeled as 14-17 fxdf triple tree washer spacer oem part. Who knows. I have found more than a couple mislabeled parts on ebay so who knows.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:01 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Maybe for a Fat BOY? I've never seen what under the fork tins on those.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

So I have gathered from reading another post from tat2u and from Rocket bob cycles that the rotor spacer, wheel spacers and fender spacers that i need are 17.2mm.
When I search for 17.2mm front hub rotor spacer, other spacers come up but none of that size. I tried typing the 17.2 figure converted to inches which is 0.6771654 but still no luck.
if someone knows a company please let me know.
Tat2u posted a drawing with calculations so worst case scenario is I will have to have them made but I figured I would check if a company is selling them first.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

No idea, I just machined my own as that’s my field of work. I have no idea what that part is in the picture you posted sorry

Old 06-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Default What kind of tolerances are involved with the spacers

So I found that Vulcan Works sells spacers but the only come in standard imperial units.
So the rotor spacer should be 17.2mm=0.6771654
Vulcan offers 5/8=0.625 or 11/16=0.6875

On the axle spacers it should be a width of 42.2mm=1.661417
Vulcan offers 1-5/8=1.625 or 1-11/16=1.75

My question is how tight do the tolerances of these spacers have to be. The differences are in the 1000th's.
I can buy the bigger size and sand them down but im wondering if that is even necessary. Wouldn't the fork legs just suck in the extremly minimal amount on the axle spacers and on the rotor there is still going to be room between the pads so even if it is a hair off the rotor will still sit between the pads.
I'm the FNG so I will defer to the veterans on this matter. What do you guys think?

Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Personally, I would only be comfortable buying after I'd done a mock-up with the calipers, rotors, sliders, and wheel in place.

With the stack-up and manufacturing variance, I suspect you're going to need a selection to get it right. If you're in a hurry, order two of each and return the unused.

.020" from nominal in any one location shouldn't be an issue, but those stack-ups will kill you.

Sorry I can't be more precise. I laid mine out in CAD and still had to adjust once I put it all together on the bike.

Quick Reply: FXDF trees on a FXDB