Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF trees on a FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:11 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tat2u
FatBob trees - Black 48609-09

FatBob axle- 41547-07

as you know because all of our conversations in your other post which already covered all of this, that’s my bike you used a picture of. I dug back through my emails from about 8 years ago for you to get these part numbers which I used and have on my bike in that pic. As discussed you will also need axle spacers, a rotor spacer and fender spacers which I machined myself so don’t have part numbers for but they are readily available. Hope this puts your mind at rest.
yes tat2u, you did and it was greatly appreciated. I have also been intouch with a fairly well known custom bike builder that does these conversions for a living and he insists that I use fat bob trees instead of FXDWG. I want to use 17 rear and 21 front with fxdb hubs and sliders and I thought exactly what you and the poster before you said, that i should use fxdwg trees because fxdwg comes stock a with 21 up front but the custom builder says I shouldn't. He is addiment that I go with fat bob trees and lower the bike 2".
I kept reaching out because I thought maybe the spacer sizes might change if used fxdf trees with fxdb oem hubs and sliders. I don't know anything about these conversions other than what I read and I have been told. I have noticed the spacer sizes change per the particulars of the application. I was hoping to get lucky and find someone who used the fxdb hub and sliders with fxdb trees.

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 06-01-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

You mentioned a caliper spacer, I would recommend spacing the rotor not the caliper
By caliper spacer I actually meant both hub and caliper. I should have specified. I read where a few people said that you should split the difference, but like much to do with harly's ask two people and get 3 answers.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:24 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

I don't know why the builder insisted on FXDF tree's ?

I used FXDWG and lowered 1 1/2" handles Great!!

Old 06-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
I don't know why the builder insisted on FXDF tree's ?

I used FXDWG and lowered 1 1/2" handles Great!!

I don't know either. I told him that I wanted to 17 rear a 21 Front but I wanted the front rim to be 2.5 " to possibly 3.5". I even brought up the fact that that fxdwg comes stock with 21". He does do a bit of performance type bobbers, so maybe he just prefers bikes with less rake. I'm not sure but I already bought the fxdf trees so it's either resell them and get fxdwg which i located for 150$ or just stick with fxdf.
great looking bike by the way!

Old 06-02-2018, 02:00 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Mate I never mentioned using wide glide trees ? You should search for my build thread I posted years ago on this mod

Old 06-02-2018, 02:12 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Tree choice has nothing to do with wheel diameter. The only physical difference between them is the rake.

Adjust ride height for different tire diameters by altering fork tube length or insertion into the trees.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Tree choice has nothing to do with wheel diameter. The only physical difference between them is the rake.

Adjust ride height for different tire diameters by altering fork tube length or insertion into the trees.
With more rake the front will sit lower, basic geometry

Old 06-02-2018, 02:54 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
With more rake the front will sit lower, basic geometry
Yes, but if more rake, the same ride height and tire are desired, longer forks (or less insertion) get you there.

The relationships we're discussing here are fairly complex. Neck rake, tree rake, offset, fork length, tire diameter all come into play if you're trying to get to a specific handling goal. I understand the geometry, up to and including trail, but not all the handling implications. For instance, two bikes with equal trail but different rake...how do they handle differently, if at all? Of course, that's well beyond the scope of this topic.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Bob (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 05:31 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Mate I never mentioned using wide glide trees ? You should search for my build thread I posted years ago on this mod
Tat2u, when I said "a custom builder advised me not to use fxdwg trees", I wasn't reffering to you. I befriended one of the custom builders in the street bob scene who has been very helpfull but for some reason he is addiment that I go with fat bob trees and not wide glide. Sorry about the confusion. Got two conversations going on at once.
You have been straight forward with your info and I am totally clear on the route you took.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:05 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
yes tat2u, you did and it was greatly appreciated. I have also been intouch with a fairly well known custom bike builder that does these conversions for a living and he insists that I use fat bob trees instead of FXDWG. I want to use 17 rear and 21 front with fxdb hubs and sliders and I thought exactly what you and the poster before you said, that i should use fxdwg trees because fxdwg comes stock a with 21 up front but the custom builder says I shouldn't. He is addiment that I go with fat bob trees and lower the bike 2".
I kept reaching out because I thought maybe the spacer sizes might change if used fxdf trees with fxdb oem hubs and sliders. I don't know anything about these conversions other than what I read and I have been told. I have noticed the spacer sizes change per the particulars of the application. I was hoping to get lucky and find someone who used the fxdb hub and sliders with fxdb trees.
If you choose to run the either of the Wide Glide or Fat Bob trees with your stock legs, what you put between the legs doesn’t change. The trees are the same width and both use 49mm legs, use the same 25mm axle. The difference between the two tree is just the rake. Currently with the stock Street Bob trees (zero degree rake, parallel to frame neck) your rake is 29 degrees. If you swap to the wide glide tree, you rake will push the wheel forward because your rake will be +3 (at 32 degrees). The Fat Bob will do just the opposite and bring the wheel closer and change the rake from 29 to 28 (-1 degree). Both the Fat Bob and Street Bob frames have a 29 degree necks, but the wide glide frame (i believe) has a 31 degree neck, giving the wide glide an over all 34 degree rake.

You can run the 21” up front with either tree, the spacing requirements would be the same.

Quick Reply: FXDF trees on a FXDB