Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift options for Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:54 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,705 Likes on 955 Posts
Default Lift options for Dyna

I have a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift jack that I've used for the last few years with my Sporty. I could pull in and have my bike in the air in 10 seconds. From what I'm seeing under the Dyna, not so easy. It looks like I can use my jack to lift either the front or rear for wheel removal, but I don't think I can lift the whole bike with my jack without some mods or something. Has anyone found a way to lift the Dyna with the HF jack?

I'm also trying to get an idea how much I'll need to lift my bike for routine maintenance. If I use my jack just to level my bike so it's not on the stand, can I change oil/primary/trans without going higher? It's certainly convenient to not have to sit on the ground, but I can handle it every now and then.

I looked at lift tables, but I don't have room for one. Since they're ~275 pounds, it's not like I can just tilt it up out of the way. With one bike only, it might be overkill.

So if anyone can share some ideas (and pics if you have) of how you lift your Dyna, I'd appreciate it!

Old 05-25-2018, 01:39 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 16,051 Likes on 6,473 Posts

Which lift jack do you have? I have this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html

and it's worked just fine for me so far. I use a couple of wood shims between the frame and the lift to compensate for the asymmetry of the frame, but other than that it lifts the bike just fine. You need to make sure the lift is properly centered under the bike, because it does flex a little bit and one end of the bike will end up lifted a bit more than the other otherwise. It's a cheap, but functional, lift. It would lift my bike high enough and with enough stability that I had no problem sitting on a mechanic's stool and doing all the work I have listed in my signature with no problems. With that said, I probably wouldn't do the same sort of project on a much heavier bagger. Your bike is structurally identical to mine though, so you shouldn't have any problems.

If I get a chance I'll take a pic or two of the bike on the jack. Might be after the weekend, though.

Good looking bike, by the way.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:07 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Try searching this topic as there’s hundreds of threads on it. Dynas need special blocks or a modified jack. There’s a really good how to on how to modify your jack but I forget the title. Fyi don’t use the blocks. I (as well as many others) almost had my bike come off from the blocks squeezing out. If my fiancé hadn’t been walking in and asked “is your bike supposed to be like that?” It would have come off when I tightened the axle nut.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:23 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

HD sells some adapters which clip onto the frame, but as Martin mentioned, wooden shims will work fine too, maybe even better (less tendency to slip)..

Old 05-25-2018, 05:50 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
HD sells some adapters which clip onto the frame, but as Martin mentioned, wooden shims will work fine too, maybe even better (less tendency to slip)..

those are what I’m talking about...good way to drop a bike.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 732 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
Which lift jack do you have? I have this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html

and it's worked just fine for me so far. I use a couple of wood shims between the frame and the lift to compensate for the asymmetry of the frame, but other than that it lifts the bike just fine. You need to make sure the lift is properly centered under the bike, because it does flex a little bit and one end of the bike will end up lifted a bit more than the other otherwise. It's a cheap, but functional, lift. It would lift my bike high enough and with enough stability that I had no problem sitting on a mechanic's stool and doing all the work I have listed in my signature with no problems. With that said, I probably wouldn't do the same sort of project on a much heavier bagger. Your bike is structurally identical to mine though, so you shouldn't have any problems.

If I get a chance I'll take a pic or two of the bike on the jack. Might be after the weekend, though.

Good looking bike, by the way.
Same here. I'm using a piece of 1"x2" and about 6" long for a shim. Get the lift situated so that the rear cross bar passes just behind the oil pan then pump the lift until it can hold up the bike. Go to the the front left side of the frame and put the wood shim between the crossbar and the frame. Then continue lifting it up. It's not perfectly level, but it works well as long as you strap the bike down.

The following users liked this post:
martinj (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

martinj, that is the jack I have.

I did search and yes there are tons of threads on this topic. I guess I'll have to do some experimenting.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:08 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 802 Posts

I don't feel to comfortable modifying a cheap HF jack to lift up something I spent a lot of money on, so I went with the J&S jack that everyone raves about. Seeing was believing, this jack is not inexpensive, but really is worth the cost if you plan on doing your own maintenance. Rock solid without straps and was able to rotate my bike around my shoe box of a garage with a finger. I picked mine up used off a forum member, they're in the classifieds every so often.

The following users liked this post:
Bluesrider.df (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
I don't feel to comfortable modifying a cheap HF jack to lift up something I spent a lot of money on, so I went with the J&S jack that everyone raves about. Seeing was believing, this jack is not inexpensive, but really is worth the cost if you plan on doing your own maintenance. Rock solid without straps and was able to rotate my bike around my shoe box of a garage with a finger. I picked mine up used off a forum member, they're in the classifieds every so often.
I've seen some mentions of the J&S. It's able to lift the non-uniform Dyna frame out of the box? Or is it adjustable or something?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:20 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I've seen some mentions of the J&S. It's able to lift the non-uniform Dyna frame out of the box? Or is it adjustable or something?
It's wider than your standard jack to accommodate the oil pan. Not adjustable, just wider than your aaaaaaverage bear.

Quick Reply: Lift options for Dyna