Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift options for Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:25 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

This should be a sticky...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ification.html

My bike has been sitting on a modified HF jack for a long time. Almost a year. Up, down, and all around the shop. No problems at all. If you're planning a big rebuild of the bike a J&S would be a wise choice, otherwise I have zero regrets with my modified one. It is a bit narrow at the base so the bike can get a little unstable if I tear down one end completely. It's never tipped over on its own but can get light enough that torquing some bigger bolts can require some thought.

The following users liked this post:
Bluesrider.df (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

With some of the stunts I've pulled I wouldn't be comfortable using anything but a J&S lift. Even during the conversion to a trike the J&S just shrugs it all off and is rock solid; that's most likely an additional 130 pounds hanging off the rear of the Wide Glide now; and still, no straps needed

Sorry for the blurry image; if I'd quit spending so much money on the bike I could afford a better camera

Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,030 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
This should be a sticky...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ification.html

My bike has been sitting on a modified HF jack for a long time. Almost a year. Up, down, and all around the shop. No problems at all. If you're planning a big rebuild of the bike a J&S would be a wise choice, otherwise I have zero regrets with my modified one. It is a bit narrow at the base so the bike can get a little unstable if I tear down one end completely. It's never tipped over on its own but can get light enough that torquing some bigger bolts can require some thought.
I agree. There's no good reason to drop $600 on a lift when you get the exact same outcome with a HF or Craftsman at 1/4 the price. Unless you have more money than sense, then by all means.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:01 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

You might be able to add/bolt on an adapter, like this (http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/38...a884c91e69.jpg) to get more clearance, and still keep the bike level.

Last edited by ABQ-Jammer; 05-25-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 955 Posts

Well, I tried the jack mod but I must be missing something. I have the Harbor Freight jack. I got 6" bolts and moved the bars/pads to the outside as you can see. This gave me an inside diameter of 12-3/4" The problem is it's not wide enough, I'm hitting the kickstand. If I slide the jack anymore towards the front of the bike, then the rear pad is in contact with the bottom of the transmission.
Help?

Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,030 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Well, I tried the jack mod but I must be missing something. I have the Harbor Freight jack. I got 6" bolts and moved the bars/pads to the outside as you can see. This gave me an inside diameter of 12-3/4" The problem is it's not wide enough, I'm hitting the kickstand. If I slide the jack anymore towards the front of the bike, then the rear pad is in contact with the bottom of the transmission.
Help?

when I use mine (from the perspective of your 2nd picture) I have to slide it in at an angle and simultaneously turn the jack so that the right leg ends up just on thr other side of the kickstand and perpendicular to the frame. You should have 2-3 inches sticking out on the primary side.

Is your bike lowered or is it stock height? If its lowered all bets are off. You'll have to run the bike up on some 2x6's to get the clearance to run the jack under.

Last edited by brownie4412; 05-25-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:01 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,586 Likes on 3,030 Posts

I use a couple of paperback books to "shim" the low side of my LowRider. It seems relatively secure.

I haven't found a lift that would/could accommodate the drain plugs for fluid change purposes. I just slide a drain pan underneath when on the "jiffy" stand.

Also, I use an HD Ancra tie down on the frame and rail of my lift. Sometimes, I might need the front wheel off, the fender off, the front forks off, the triple clamps off, just for powdercoating.

If I don't have the frame lashed down, it may "tip" backwards as the weight on the front is at north county powdercoating...

The most height I've ever needed is about 16". This gives plenty of room to clear the bottom edge of the rear fender with the rear tire during R & R ing.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,143 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I looked at lift tables, but I don't have room for one. Since they're ~275 pounds, it's not like I can just tilt it up out of the way. With one bike only, it might be overkill.
So if anyone can share some ideas (and pics if you have) of how you lift your Dyna, I'd appreciate it!
You could if you had one of these. I also had limited floor space and had a Kendon lift for several years. I absolutely loved it.
https://www.kendonusa.com/product/st...torcycle-lift/

You could probably find one on CL for about $450

Old 05-25-2018, 06:18 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
when I use mine (from the perspective of your 2nd picture) I have to slide it in at an angle and simultaneously turn the jack so that the right leg ends up just on thr other side of the kickstand and perpendicular to the frame. You should have 2-3 inches sticking out on the primary side.

Is your bike lowered or is it stock height? If its lowered all bets are off. You'll have to run the bike up on some 2x6's to get the clearance to run the jack under.
The bike is not lowered. I tried what you said and it helped get the jack in there further, but I need another inch at the back to clear the transmission. I'm afraid if I use spacers to make the jack wider it will not be very safe.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 05-25-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:27 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I think I used 1" spacers plus a washer on each end. I'm out of town or I'd verify.

Quick Reply: Lift options for Dyna