Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligning engine, gearbox and inner primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018 | 05:12 AM
Daedalus
|
Cruiser
Question Aligning engine, gearbox and inner primary

Hi all,

I fried my stator, but had also still to remove the mid-shifting axle that was doing nothing after mounting my forward controls. Had to renew the primary chain because of a partly broken ring of one of the links, so I took apart the whole primary. Currently I'm at the point of putting things together again.

Now, the manual is pretty ambiguous about lining things up. It's 'very' important, put no pictures, and the description is confusing. I understand that engine and gearbox can move apart from each other when you loosen things up, so in order to mount the inner primary without any stress, I need to 'loosen the engine and transmission bolts to the frame'... Yeah, thanks, I got a Dyna, I don't have yada bolts to frame. This is from the workshop manual from a Dyna '91 to '98 btw.

The inner primary slides right into place. The dowel on the tranny fits nicely and the drive axle still turns freely when I pre-tighten the bolts, so the line-up still seems good, but I want to do things right. These casings are expensive

When I look upon the engine, it has 4 9/16 bolts, 2 at the front holding a bracket that leans upon the engine rubber and 2 bolting the engine and gearbox together. (There are also 2 bolts underneath the gearbox holding the rear engine mount, but I'll keep these out of the equation, I need to renew the mounts anyway.) What I think they want me to do, is loosen up these 4 bolts, tighten up the inner primary against the engine, tighten up the inner primary bolts against the tranny and then re-tighten those 4 engine bolts again. Am I right? Or is the engine assembly of a Dyna designed in a way that these steps aren't even necessary?

Cheers!

Old 05-19-2018 | 10:07 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master

Year and model of bike would help.....

Old 05-20-2018 | 02:14 AM
Daedalus
|
Cruiser

Its in my sig, '96 Dyna Super Glide.