Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tune or not to tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018 | 07:22 PM
pjbuilder
|
Cruiser
Default To tune or not to tune

So my 2014 fxdl has major decel pop. It seems to run okay however since it's my first Harley Davidson don't really know how it's supposed to run. Purchased it last fall. I called the Harley dealer that did the V&H exhaust and air cleaner for the previous original owner and they said their records show they did tune/dyno it after doing the upgrade. That dealer is kinda far away so I would not be taking the bike back there. There are no tuners attached to the bike.

I would like for the decel pop to go away or at least get reduced and if possible at the same time have it run the best it can for what it is. I have no intention of ever making any mechanical changes beyond what's been done previously. I don't mind spending money but hate just pissing it away.

I have read a lot of posts regarding the various tuners available. I like the simplicity of the V&H Fuelpak 3 and from all the posts I've read the Dynojet Power vision seams to have it's merits as well. I would have no desire to get the power vision and leave it on the bike . Looking to tune it and then leave it alone.
Open for any suggestions from someone who's been there.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2018 | 08:28 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

You don’t have to have the powervision on the bike at all times, you can load a tune into your bike and put it back in the box if you want .

Old 05-18-2018 | 08:47 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

A stock bike will have decel pop but usually the exhaust is so quiet it's not as obvious. A tuner can do a lot for a stock motor. Before you go that route make sure there aren't any mechanical issues such as an intake or exhaust leak.

Old 05-18-2018 | 09:41 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

JMHO...Tune. Always tune. Even a bone stock bike benefits from a good tune.

The following 3 users liked this post by cggorman:
bettingpython (06-11-2018), martinj (05-19-2018), Tired (05-19-2018)
Old 05-18-2018 | 11:04 PM
pjbuilder
|
Cruiser

I did check for exhaust leaks and even tightened up exhaust flanges to torque specs and didn't find any leaks.

Old 05-18-2018 | 11:22 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjbuilder
.I would like for the decel pop to go away or at least get reduced,,
Ok, it's simple. Learn to select the proper gear while decelerating, and/or use some brake, shift or pull in the clutch when "pop" occurs,,
,,it's a harley not rocket science.

Old 05-19-2018 | 01:07 AM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Ok, it's simple. Learn to select the proper gear while decelerating, and/or use some brake, shift or pull in the clutch when "pop" occurs,,
,,it's a harley not rocket science.
You're kidding, right?

Old 05-19-2018 | 01:10 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

John's a damn smart guy, but I'm not sure he has a funny bone.

Old 05-19-2018 | 05:38 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Sounds like whatever tuner was used by the dealer, you don't have. Some exhaust combo's are hard to perfect...I had the dealer installed and tuned V&H Big Radius 2-1 on my bike when purchased, along with the FP3, I believe. (Some kind of V&H tuner) The dyno sheet was not impressive and there was a considerable decell popping. I changed pipes, cams and bought an SEPST then turned the bike over to a different, independent dyno. Much nicer now. This is my 5th HD modified engine...most dealers seem limited in what they can/will do for you. And there's no shortage of bafflegab on the 'net. Good luck.....

Old 05-19-2018 | 08:08 AM
ludville1
Tourer

The first thing that I did to my bike was add a K&N air filter and a SE Nightstick w/5 discs and an open end cap. The bike ran like crap, and wouldn't even idle without stalling. Got a FP3 and downloaded one of V&H's maps. Bike then ran great! Have since added a full exhaust and downloaded a different map. Bike sounds great and runs strong! For me, I'm really happy with the FP3.

Last edited by ludville1; 05-19-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: To tune or not to tune