Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tune or not to tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018 | 08:35 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjbuilder
So my 2014 fxdl has major decel pop. It seems to run okay however since it's my first Harley Davidson don't really know how it's supposed to run. Purchased it last fall. I called the Harley dealer that did the V&H exhaust and air cleaner for the previous original owner and they said their records show they did tune/dyno it after doing the upgrade. That dealer is kinda far away so I would not be taking the bike back there. There are no tuners attached to the bike.

I would like for the decel pop to go away or at least get reduced and if possible at the same time have it run the best it can for what it is. I have no intention of ever making any mechanical changes beyond what's been done previously. I don't mind spending money but hate just pissing it away.

I have read a lot of posts regarding the various tuners available. I like the simplicity of the V&H Fuelpak 3 and from all the posts I've read the Dynojet Power vision seams to have it's merits as well. I would have no desire to get the power vision and leave it on the bike . Looking to tune it and then leave it alone.
Open for any suggestions from someone who's been there.

Thanks

It helps if you have an understanding of what creates the decel popping and burbling in the first place, it makes chasing down the problems easier.

Decel popping and burbling is caused by air reversion in to the free flowing exhaust system mixing with unburnt fuel coming out of the engine under off-throttle situations; when the AFR is right the fuel burns off in the hot exhaust.

The trick is to add a bit of fuel in that 0%/off-throttle area and at the same time prevent the reversion of fresh air in to the pipes. Adding fuel alters the AFR in the hot pipes and prevents it from burning; the combination of preventing the reversion of fresh air in to the exhaust and altering the air/fuel ratios removes the decel popping and burbling. In my experience DK Custom TTI's work well at helping to prevent reversion of fresh air in to the exhaust and with a bit of fine tuning at the 0%/off-throttle you can remove the decel issues.

If your riding style has you not quite letting off the throttle, your throttle cables are not properly adjusted, you have any exhaust leaks, or your TPS sensor is out of adjustment, that can also cause increased decel popping and burbling...

Old 05-19-2018 | 08:42 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Community Team

I chased a decel pop for what seemed like an entire summer once. I changed a ton of intake/exhaust related gaskets and guess what ended up silencing the pop......

Some $3 home made lollipop baffles in the end of my pipes.

Old 05-19-2018 | 09:41 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

You can have my FP3 for 250. Used for a week.

Old 05-19-2018 | 09:45 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
Maybe you should sell your Fat Bob instead...Then maybe, just maybe, you would have solved "All your Bike Problems"

The following 2 users liked this post by multihdrdr:
crusader1xxx (05-21-2018), TinCupChalice (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018 | 09:46 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Your FP3 is 'married' to your bike; it can't be migrated to a new bike for tuning purposes. With a Power Vision you can buy an additional license to 'unlock' to add another bike. Can't be done with the FP3...

Old 05-19-2018 | 09:47 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

It can be "unlocked" at Full Price ...which includes a New Unit

Or maybe he's including the Bike

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-19-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2018 | 10:22 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Unhappy

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Maybe you should sell your Fat Bob instead...Then maybe, just maybe, you would have solved "All your Bike Problems"
Easier said than done. Been for sale for a year. Not giving it away.

Old 05-19-2018 | 11:23 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Your FP3 is 'married' to your bike; it can't be migrated to a new bike for tuning purposes. With a Power Vision you can buy an additional license to 'unlock' to add another bike. Can't be done with the FP3...
Hmmm, not true. It just overrides the PCM. If you take it off, the bike reverts to the PCM. You can use the tuner on another bike. If you like the tune, you leave it on, if not take it off.

Old 05-19-2018 | 11:34 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Hmmm, not true. It just overrides the PCM. If you take it off, the bike reverts to the PCM. You can use the tuner on another bike. If you like the tune, you leave it on, if not take it off.
Hmm...Not True "not true"

Double negative = Positive ...If FP3 that is (unless old FuelPak)

FP3 = "married"
Older FuelPak = NOT "married"

Old 05-20-2018 | 09:30 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

the answer is always to tune
I like the power vision but im not an expert on this stuff all i know is all harley efi engines benefit from a good tune

Quick Reply: To tune or not to tune